Game Day 2016 NAB Challenge : Hawks v Blues

Remove this Banner Ad

Actually, he squibbed the mark to protect his body, against an opposition that was showing minimal physical pressure. The fact he was running back with the mark was great, but just at the last second the 'fight or flight' scenario met him square in the eyes. He should have actually taken the mark but alas his main concern was personal safety. Nothing wrong with that per se, I just don't want those types of players running around for Hawthorn in games after September 1.

Yes exactly as I saw it. He should of taken that mark. Saw the opposition player coming and took his eye off the ball/prize.

I suspect if TOB is playing for us we won't be playing many finals, we'll need an upgrade on him to keep winning premierships, and we ain't going to do that without some physical presence.

I'm looking forward to seeing how Shem goes about it this week.

It NAB cup. Don't want to see the players going in too hard...lets hold off a little on the criticism until the real stuff starts.

Some truth in this of course but I'm thinking he has his best opportunity to grab a permanent spot in our best 22. It's not going to be given it automatically, he's got to earn it, or even demand it. I don't see that (yet).

I don't understand how you can say Hill "doesn't try hard enough".
The goals he kicked in the Prelims & Grand Finals in the last 3 years are based on gut-busting running.

And do you think a hard-nosed coach like Clarko is going to play him every week?

Yeah there's no question Hill busts his arse every week running up and down the ground. A great outlet runner and space creator when everyone else is rooted. He just keeps going. And the vision has been shown of him running in to those open goals where he has started from so deep in the back half that he's passed nearly everyone on the field to get on the end of the 'easy ball'.

I think the cricitism people have of him about not working hard enough simply comes down to getting brushed off tackles too easily, however people get lazy and apply it as him not having a go when then can be no question how hard he pushes himself. So yeah, he needs to improve on holding his tackles. It's not what his predominant role is, but everyone has to try and stick the tackle when it's their turn. He's getting better at it, I've seen him nail more of them over the past year or so but there's still work to be done. But people who see only this and ignore the rest of the great attributes he brings to our team and the work ethic required to play the role he does really are miles off the mark when they question his place in the side.

He's a vital component.

Well I actually sat down and watched the replay on the weekend and have to say that personally I was very underwhelmed with the performance
Yes its a NAB cup game blah blah, and I get that but after having some glimpses of a couple of other games on the weekend, I was pretty disappointed in the way we looked, and also quite underwhelmed by a few of the young players who have been talked up in this thread
Just my two cents worth but I thought Brand was the only one who looked promising, jury still out on Howe for me
Again, just my opinion

Yeah there's no question Hill busts his arse every week running up and down the ground. A great outlet runner and space creator when everyone else is rooted. He just keeps going. And the vision has been shown of him running in to those open goals where he has started from so deep in the back half that he's passed nearly everyone on the field to get on the end of the 'easy ball'.

I think the cricitism people have of him about not working hard enough simply comes down to getting brushed off tackles too easily, however people get lazy and apply it as him not having a go when then can be no question how hard he pushes himself. So yeah, he needs to improve on holding his tackles. It's not what his predominant role is, but everyone has to try and stick the tackle when it's their turn. He's getting better at it, I've seen him nail more of them over the past year or so but there's still work to be done. But people who see only this and ignore the rest of the great attributes he brings to our team and the work ethic required to play the role he does really are miles off the mark when they question his place in the side.

He's a vital component.
You just have to look at how Smith has grown as a footballer and remember how young Hill really is.
He finished 19th in the B&F last year so it's not like the coaches thought he had a great year but they obviously thought he did enough to stay in the team.
Won't be 23 until July and will be close to the 100 game mark by the end of the year plenty of upside still

In Hill's own words - he 'makes the ground big' for his teammates. His running blows up his direct opponent and by the last quarter they're dead on their feet. His lead's may not get honored in the chain, but by running he's taking an opponent with him and creating space for someone else to get the ball. This happened quite a lot against WCE in the GF.

With this season's interchange cap Hill's elite endurance will become more and more important to our side.

Anyone who thinks Hill is lazy needs to actually attend a live game and specifically watch his work off the ball. A ridiculous amount of unrewarded running (if you count a reward as a goal or possession).

If you only watch the ball or you're watching on TV then of course half of what you'll see of him on his him being out bodied or having a tackle broken. He's got a slight frame and is built for endurance and speed, not raw physical power.

Yeah his tackling technique is poor and he definitely needs to improve in that area to go to "the next level" but calls that he is lazy are so far off the mark.

Could we stop the gratuitous wink, wink, nudge, nudge comments about politics. I'm a conservative and would enjoy Hawthorn talk rather than blathering about download speeds and the conspiracy to keep them slow.

Maybe we can have a politics board for that discussion?

Mate, if you use Big Footy as an accurate sample of the community then you would assume that 90% of AFL lovers are Greens voting Lefties or members of GetUp. Thankfully this is not the case. I get tired of the constant digs and veiled insults as well but you just have to take the high ground and let it go.

Having watched the second half over the weekend, I want to come to the defence of Litherland. I agree about his tendency to just hoof it long but I can't agree with the comments about him being unable to hit a target over a short distance. In the 3rd quarter in-particular he was very composed, hitting targets with short to med kicks so he definitely has it in him. Maybe all he needs is some consistent game time at AFL level.

Yes exactly as I saw it. He should of taken that mark. Saw the opposition player coming and took his eye off the ball/prize.

I suspect if TOB is playing for us we won't be playing many finals, we'll need an upgrade on him to keep winning premierships, and we ain't going to do that without some physical presence.

I'm looking forward to seeing how Shem goes about it this week
I'm not expecting Shem to go about anything, I'm expecting him to go straight through.

Having watched the second half over the weekend, I want to come to the defence of Litherland. I agree about his tendency to just hoof it long but I can't agree with the comments about him being unable to hit a target over a short distance. In the 3rd quarter in-particular he was very composed, hitting targets with short to med kicks so he definitely has it in him. Maybe all he needs is some consistent game time at AFL level.
Its the current bug bear it seems, until he's played 50 proven games in the starting 22 people will harp on and on about it

Like Hill being lazy

and the need to trade Bruest

or TOB being gutless

Its the current bug bear it seems, until he's played 50 proven games in the starting 22 people will harp on and on about it

Like Hill being lazy

and the need to trade Bruest

or TOB being gutless

Litherland the early front runner for 2016 whipping boy title. :thumbsu:

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Could we stop the gratuitous wink, wink, nudge, nudge comments about politics. I'm a conservative and would enjoy Hawthorn talk rather than blathering about download speeds and the conspiracy to keep them slow.

Maybe we can have a politics board for that discussion?

I was going to reply to you in some detail, but my internet is too slow.

;)

Waiting for the technological revolution of copper to the node
I'm just sitting here hoping all of the theoretical stuff they are doing with HFC at them moment works and comes to the NBN

Actually, he squibbed the mark to protect his body, against an opposition that was showing minimal physical pressure. The fact he was running back with the mark was great, but just at the last second the 'fight or flight' scenario met him square in the eyes. He should have actually taken the mark but alas his main concern was personal safety. Nothing wrong with that per se, I just don't want those types of players running around for Hawthorn in games after September 1.
Yep.... September is a bit different to a practice match.
I know I would have balked at the idea of being crunched & potentially loosing the best opportunity to cement a spot for rd 1 or the season proper for meaningless mark in an irrelevant game.

So the tragic state of our Internet infrastructure isn't all downside then? ;)

Ha ha, yes!

Give me your postal address and I'll send you my reply by mail (with a $1.00 stamp).

Hey, everyone, I would like to say thanks to you all. I've been a lurker here for some time and just recently decided to join in the posting.

A genuine thanks for making me feel welcome straight away. If I were feeling cheesy I might point out that this is one more example of Hawthorn's superior virtue. But I'll pass on that.

In Hill's own words - he 'makes the ground big' for his teammates. His running blows up his direct opponent and by the last quarter they're dead on their feet. His lead's may not get honored in the chain, but by running he's taking an opponent with him and creating space for someone else to get the ball. This happened quite a lot against WCE in the GF.

With this season's interchange cap Hill's elite endurance will become more and more important to our side.

Smith, Hill and Hartung will be even more valuable this year.

Smith, Hill and Hartung will be even more valuable this year.

Agreed.

I was thinking that this change will really affect our older gents, almost as if it was another change to stifle our side (not into conspiracy theories though). Though our side is extremely versatile and our sharp skills should keep our opposition chasing the ball around. Hopefully by the end of games this season we have kept the ball off our opponents so they're buggered chasing us all day.

Its a natural reaction to protect yourself when you know that there is going to be contact. Players don't just run back with the flight knowing there is going to be contact and not having some sort of protection for themselves.

Remove this Banner Ad

Game Day 2016 NAB Challenge : Hawks v Blues

Remove this Banner Ad

Back