Game Day 2016 NAB Challenge : Hawks v Blues

Remove this Banner Ad

Litherland having the same problems he had last year. He's not going to last long kicking like that.

Fitzpatrick was average. Got beaten in the ruck easily but it was Kruezer who is a beast; took some marks and a few decent touches. Had he kicked those two goals he would be more promising.

Howe got a fair bit of the ball and threw himself at the contests. Needs to clean up his disposal to cover his somewhat evident lack of genuine pace. Composure is there though and he doesn't look rushed at all. Could be a ripper.

O'Rourke played great in patches, and quiet in patches. Think consistency is required. Could be attributed to moving him into numerous positions instead of leaving him in one place.

Brand looked seriously composed out there, while Heatherley held his own against Kruezer. Both did their chances of selection no real harm.

TOB did some nice things towards the end of the game but didn't scream for selection. While not a great game either, Sicilys aggression and deft shepards will probably get first crack at Roughie's role. Has a real flair about him.

Hartung got the whips cracking in the second half. Probably expected more, but he wasn't bad by any means. Got a lot of the ball.

Add some bull to his frame and Miles will be a gem. Great elusiveness and football brain but way too small at this stage.

Willsmore was pretty disappointing. Didn't use his speed or athleticism to his advantage and tried to kick it to a congested hot spot instead of lowering the eyes. Does cover the ground well though.

Why did we not play Webster...?

Whitecross was okay. Nothing too bad, nothing too great. Does seem a little slow to me but you can't fault his efforts.

Shoey wasn't really all there. Probably benefits from having support in Roughead/Gunston and not being buried with the role of number 1 forward.

I'm not as worried about litherland as everyone else seems to be.. he just needs to "lower his eyes" and not just blast the crap out of the ball every time.. a bit more thought is all that is needed.. apart from that he doesn't really get caught, doesn't go to ground much, and plays taller than he is.. first time I saw him i was reminded a lot of the birch.. just on the opposite side of the ground. Think he probably has a place once he learns not to just bomb it.
We've been saying that for his whole career though, he does it at box hill too, not sure lowering the eyes is in his make-up

Gibson and Mitchell are our most important players. They are crazy good and look like they are going to go head to head for the B&F.

Howe is our best midfielder in development. Whitecross is still a very competent player and I am glad he signed on for one more year.

He looks like he is playing in slow motion. Great vision and never rushed. Runs to the right positions, courageous and disposes of it well. Will be a player the hype around him is not just from football watchers but from other hawthorn players as well

I remember plenty of hype from Hawk players and staff around Thorp and Dowler as well.

Not saying Howe will be as poor as those but I'm just not sure where the OTT optimism has come from. You say slow motion, I say he looks a bit slow full stop, I see courage but no more than Miles and Willsmore and a few others, same with disposal, average, wont cut anyone up at this stage. Sure he's a smart footballer, upside is prob something like Cam Bruce and he has a fair bit of work to do to reach that IMHO.

Fringe players who increased their chances for round 1

Heatherley
O'Rourke
Hartung
Sicily

Those that didn't

Litherland
Howe
Fitzpatrick
Schoenmakers
O'Brien

Overall v scrappy game Mitchell a class above but nothing strange about that

You're reading a HUGE amount into a practice match.

In any case, you could swap those 2 groups and not be wrong!

None of the non regulars besides Howe showed signs of a breakthrough year. Disappointing.
Howe reads the play better than any other non premiership players. He is the exact kind of smart player we will need once we lose Birger, Mitch, Hodge, Gibbo.
WhiteX - slow and sloppy
fitzy - good hands, battles hard but insurance only
Hartung - very good
Sicily / O'Brien - glimpses, both are very strong overhead
Lithers - the new Tom Murphy. Too many mistakes
shoe - Peaked on GF day
JOR - had a crack but I just don't see much promise
heatherley - not sighted
brand - good size. Very good size. A way off.
Willmere - have seen a bit @ BH and still not a fan. Just does not get involved
Miles - quick but not given much of a go

Smith played more inside than usual.

Pretty uneventful evening.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I always have to remind myself that the NAB cup games will be crap, yet they always exceed my expectations.

I liked Teia Miles. First NAB cup game is always too scrappy and unconventional to be able to form an opinion on players though.

I remember plenty of hype from Hawk players and staff around Thorp and Dowler as well.

Not saying Howe will be as poor as those but I'm just not sure where the OTT optimism has come from. You say slow motion, I say he looks a bit slow full stop, I see courage but no more than Miles and Willsmore and a few others, same with disposal, average, wont cut anyone up at this stage. Sure he's a smart footballer, upside is prob something like Cam Bruce and he has a fair bit of work to do to reach that IMHO.
hahaha ok did u watch him on tv or were you there at the gound? Making judgement of a NAB cup game is frought with danger as it it

Edit PS i don't remember the hype around thorp and dowler as much as u seem to do

Fitzpatrick looked a lot better as a forward than a ruck I thought. A few really nice marks..... won't discuss his kicking.

Howe seems a great find. I love his composure for such a young kid.

Litherland isn't tall or strong enough to replace Lake and isn't a good enough kick to replace Suckling.

Sicily is a very easy player to like, but I'm not sure he's physically developed enough to play a role in finals this year.

Hartung still worries me when he has the ball. Then again so does Hill!

Miles did some really nice things. Can't say I noticed JOR as much.

TOB seems like another Dowler or Schoenmakers. Seems to have the attributes & skills but not the mongrel.

Hetherley & Brand did some nice things but both are pretty raw.

Whitecross feels like a depth player now. Hard to see him getting a game in the midfield as he's too slow.

Birchall had a great game as captain.

I've been on the Brand bandwagon since I first saw him play. You can see why.

TOB did a lot of unrewarded, un-statistical work. I liked his game. Most will look at the stat sheet though and base his game on that.

WX is still the slowest decision maker on the list.

You're reading a HUGE amount into a practice match.

In any case, you could swap those 2 groups and not be wrong!

True, but I don't think I was reading a huge amount into it, certainly don't want to give that impression

I think it was interesting to see some of the choices made by Yze, esp Heatherley over Brand for 1st option as key back, Fitzpatrick getting plenty of TOG, Birch in the midfield

But its just the 1st hit out, and some of my preconceived biases were evident. eg I dont think O'Brien has any chance of making it, Whitecross has lost mojo completely, which is a shame cause he was a fave, and Howe at this stage is severely overrated by the supporter base

But as always happy to be proven wrong when it happens ;)

I understand the Howie love...

Like the words many said before... graceful, composed & I'm a fan.

Others to impress me were

O'Rourke - Got in & got the ball when needed to, his hand work was pretty good & quick tonight.

Brand - Held his own when he came on for The Second Half. Looked comfortable in the 1-on-1 contests. Leading for a spot in that backline.

Hartung - Run & Carry... keen to see this lad smash games this year.

Miles - Showed a glimpse of his evasive skills. Got abit to work with, i'm still unsure.

Heatherley - My first glimpse of him was Casboult knocking him off his feet. Don't think he's a Chip or a Lake, like someone said above... more of a Gibbo replacement.

O'Brien - I liked his pressure & his willingness to go for marks, especially running back with the flight.

Sicily - Showed glimpses of his jumping & marking abilities. Tonights game probably wasn't amazing... but I like him.

Fitzpatrick - Interesting one... showed his nice set of hands & tried his hardest to get front position & push back on his opponent. Still intruiged to see if he wins a spot in our forwardline with McEvoy & Ceglar likely to be 1 & 2 Ruck.

Didn't really take notice of Willsmore.

Disappointed in Whitecross (Seen him get a stern chatting to by Fagan & Ratts) & Litherland.

Disappointed to not get to see Zac Webster get any minutes.

Loved that Hill, O'Rourke, Smith, Hartung & Puopolo run from defence... finished up with a Mitchell goal.

Last edited:
O'Rourke only really seemed in the game when he was put on the ball. Spent quite a bit of the rest of the game playing bit parts on the flanks.

I really don't know of what to make of him, I know it was our first game but he just seems to be a plodder, nothing really special or any X factor.

Just hope he can start to produce, his disposal skills need a lot of work.

Remove this Banner Ad

Game Day 2016 NAB Challenge : Hawks v Blues

Remove this Banner Ad

Back