2016 QAFA B Central

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd suggest that both divisions need to accept that they are at the bottom of the pile.

The only difference being that one plays on Saturdays and one plays on Friday's.

Yes, Kedron, Logan and Park Ridge are probably better than the best Friday night teams. But from what I have seen in other years, I reckon 2013-2015 Premiers in the Friday comp were as good as anyone in the Saturday comp in each of those years, certainly better than whoever was runner up.

eg. UQ 3rds were 3rd or 4th on Saturdays in 2014 and took virtually the same side to Fridays in 2015 and didn't make the finals.

At the end of the day, its a bunch of old blokes who are past it, or a bunch of young blokes who aren't much good and never will be. I know some of the QAFL clubs have people watching lower divisions to pick up talent, but there aint that much of it in these lower comps if we're being honest. Certainly not unexposed talent anyway.

The gap between QFA and QAFA A is way bigger than the gap between QAFL and QFA. Your Coorparoo's, Springwoods, Maroochy's and Mayne's would absolutely slaughter any ammo side they come up against.

One thing that is certain is that Ammo A reserves is as low as it gets, its like old blokes and special people playing Auskick. The lower level QFA ressies is very average as well.

kind of agree, my only query is. If you play on Saturday and your supposed to be good enough for the higher levels - why aren't you playing at the higher level?

As opposed to the Friday blokes, who do it for convenience.

eg. UQ 3rds were 3rd or 4th on Saturdays in 2014 and took virtually the same side to Fridays in 2015 and didn't make the finals.

This isn't to argue with the substance of what you're saying, but I just wanted to point out that there was a pretty significant turnover of personnel between the 2014 QAFA(A) thirds and the 2015 QAFA(B) thirds at UQ. A couple of players played in that team during both years, but a bunch pushed up to the two's and a bunch retired or moved elsewhere. They were replaced by blokes who had been playing in the fourths and fifths or by brand new players. No different to any other year at a University club! It would just be a bit of an oversimplification to say that the 2014 QAFA(A) side shifted into the 2015 QAFA(B) competition and base any comparisons between the grades on that.

I'd suggest that both divisions need to accept that they are at the bottom of the pile.

The only difference being that one plays on Saturdays and one plays on Friday's.

Yes, Kedron, Logan and Park Ridge are probably better than the best Friday night teams. But from what I have seen in other years, I reckon 2013-2015 Premiers in the Friday comp were as good as anyone in the Saturday comp in each of those years, certainly better than whoever was runner up.

At the end of the day, its a bunch of old blokes who are past it, or a bunch of young blokes who aren't much good and never will be. I know some of the QAFL clubs have people watching lower divisions to pick up talent, but there aint that much of it in these lower comps if we're being honest. Certainly not unexposed talent anyway.

The gap between QFA and QAFA A is way bigger than the gap between QAFL and QFA. Your Coorparoo's, Springwoods, Maroochy's and Mayne's would absolutely slaughter any ammo side they come up against.

One thing that is certain is that Ammo A reserves is as low as it gets, its like old blokes and special people playing Auskick. The lower level QFA ressies is very average as well.
None of your b sides were ever as good as bond Uni last year. Or, for that matter, Coomera in 2013.

I'm from Kenmore, we no longer have a B side, and when we did - we lost by 100+ every week.

But if any year was going to be it, it would have been 2013...

The side Zillmere put out there that year certainly would have given Coomera a run!

18-0 and 560%

Matt Waters, Reuben Williams, Danny Dickfos, Brett Zeidler, Brendon Forbes, Ken Fuller, Shane Rogerson, Jason Anthonisz and at least 6 or 7 more former or future QAFL/NEAFL players to go with the 2 former AFL players and 1 that is currently on the Lions list right now...

Even the great Peter Wolfe made an appearance!

Accept that Kedron last year wouldn't have beaten Bond, and maybe Woodsmen 2014 wouldn't have beaten Roosters - but both sides would have run 2nd easily.

Would respectfully disagree that the Zillmere 2013 side wouldn't beat Coomera though, they would have smashed them!

Come on guys every division on the way up is better. That's the way it is and any discussions otherwise is rubbish.
Some players can make the jump but teams no way.

Rubbish.

The best teams in every division would be competitive with the bottom teams in the next one up.

UQ in QAFL world struggle against plenty of QFA sides, just as Coomera, Alex hills etc would struggle vs some QAFA sides and so on.

Having played agsinst that Zillmere side in 2013, id be surprised if they were beatable by Coomera that year. But they were a one off exception, 18-0 and 565% is not the norm!

We played them in Round 1 that year in the wet. We had recruited a few blokes straight out of the Div 1 2012 premiership team and we got smashed by 100. We couldn't believe how good they were! The 2012 Div 1 premiership captain told me they would have been a competitive Div 1 side based on that game.

(Even better is that they were top blokes in the bar afterwards as well, not an arrogant tool anywhere)

I reiterate, they were a one off though. Not representative of the standard from season to season.

Come on guys every division on the way up is better. That's the way it is and any discussions otherwise is rubbish.
Some players can make the jump but teams no way.
If that were the case, why would a team be allowed to drop back two divisions ?? Shouldn't they be forced to fold or merge ??

I'll also add, how are Bond Uni travelling ?? How did they go last year ??

Yet your team has gone from one to the other and is winning regularly 20 goals after moving up?
The seniors running around this year are a shadow of the side last year. I reckon they have about 8 regulars from last year's team.
The top team from a lower division probably will go all right the next level up.
But will they keep it up every week.
Consistency is the key to keep moving forward.
Your team have many changes year by year but consistent you are.
How would the woodies go if you came up against solid sides every week.
When your depth gets tested you find out where you sit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If that were the case, why would a team be allowed to drop back two divisions ?? Shouldn't they be forced to fold or merge ??

I'll also add, how are Bond Uni travelling ?? How did they go last year ??
I was talking about qfab teams on the team comment.
Sure some teams that recruit well and were previously successful can go up and compete.
But to suggest that there is not much difference between levels is ridiculous.

I was talking about qfab teams on the team comment.
Sure some teams that recruit well and were previously successful can go up and compete.
But to suggest that there is not much difference between levels is ridiculous.
So if the gap is so large, why would a club, who played in finals at QFA level, want to drop back two divisions under the thinly veiled guise of lack of numbers ?? Wouldn't they look to merge, or fold. Why bother with such a rubbish comp, the players certainly wouldn't benefit from it. And why is it that recruiting well is the difference between going up and competing, especially if a club is bigger than one or two players ??

So if the gap is so large, why would a club, who played in finals at QFA level, want to drop back two divisions under the thinly veiled guise of lack of numbers ?? Wouldn't they look to merge, or fold. Why bother with such a rubbish comp, the players certainly wouldn't benefit from it. And why is it that recruiting well is the difference between going up and competing, especially if a club is bigger than one or two players ??
Not that old chestnut again. It was numbers that simple. Yep your right didn't get too much out of it. But we did stay alive and with plenty of recruiting we got two teams together this year.
Your comment about folding is just crap.
It maybe the way you do things but throwing your hands up and giving up is not my way.
A few clubs have done the same thing as kedron but I don't hear you having a crack at them.
So get off your high horse and see it for what it was.
I never said this is a rubbish comp but I will say some of your comments are.

Not that old chestnut again. It was numbers that simple. Yep your right didn't get too much out of it. But we did stay alive and with plenty of recruiting we got two teams together this year.
Your comment about folding is just crap.
It maybe the way you do things but throwing your hands up and giving up is not my way.
A few clubs have done the same thing as kedron but I don't hear you having a crack at them.
So get off your high horse and see it for what it was.
I never said this is a rubbish comp but I will say some of your comments are.
Who Wynnum ?? That was where they were at. They did what they had to and they are still doing the best they can with what they have got. They didn't drop back and then try and change the rules to suit them. Cough, we only play Saturdays, cough. And no high horse here, but I will call people out if I see it warranted. Beats sitting on the fence contradicting yourself. And good to know that winning a premiership meant nothing. Hope the players didn't bother celebrating.

And while we are on the discussion of the QAFA A league, I think they should seriously do away with reserves. That is just beyond woeful football. Under 11's with modified rules offers better viewing than that trash. Would be interesting if both leagues were 1 team comps, and if teams would move one way or the other.

Your team have many changes year by year but consistent you are.
How would the woodies go if you came up against solid sides every week.
When your depth gets tested you find out where you sit.

Our depth was tested last year when we lost the Top 3 of our previous years B&F and 5 of our best 10 and still made a contest at the end of the year.

Depth isn't the issue as much as culture is. We come against solid sides far more regularly this year than we ever have, partly due to the draw and partly due to the improvement of the competition.

As a result, our inclusive culture is being tested because in the past we have rotated players through the team to ensure everyone gets a go. Without reserves, this is a hard thing to do. Every year we get guys to bring down mates who have never played before, and giving guys like this a game becomes harder and harder when the competition gets stronger as you risk losing games just to get games into guys who turn up to training, pay fees and help out every week. You can't just leave these guys out, or you will soon never see them again so its a real balancing act.

It's not all about winning for us, but we don't really enjoy losing so its been a tough year to find the right balance. We tipped the scales too far in the wrong direction early in the year and lost 3 in a row, we're now trying to get it back on the right track. However with the final 4 rounds against fellow Top 5 candidates, its going to be hard for us to stick to our inclusive culture of previous years.

I don't suggest for a second that this comp is stronger, but I do think the top half of this comp is stronger than the bottom half of the Saturday comp and easily so.

Who Wynnum ?? That was where they were at. They did what they had to and they are still doing the best they can with what they have got. They didn't drop back and then try and change the rules to suit them. Cough, we only play Saturdays, cough. And no high horse here, but I will call people out if I see it warranted. Beats sitting on the fence contradicting yourself. And good to know that winning a premiership meant nothing. Hope the players didn't bother celebrating.

And while we are on the discussion of the QAFA A league, I think they should seriously do away with reserves. That is just beyond woeful football. Under 11's with modified rules offers better viewing than that trash. Would be interesting if both leagues were 1 team comps, and if teams would move one way or the other.
Well we were the same we did the best of what we had.
Thirty five players on the list last year how the **** can you field two sides.
Your kedron bashing is getting old.
As thommo said you create a good culture and set an environment where bloke's want to be.
Having done that players came back to the club and new bloke's rolled in as well.
So sorry if your offended by the way we had to do it. But I don't see you down there helping but sniping from distance seems to be your go.
As far a not celebrating a premiship we did and we did it well.
When I say we didn't get to much from the season let me clarify.
Winning games by big margins wasn't to much fun.
Comming up against the woodies zillmere redbacks were the ones we looked forward too.
Your snide remark about changing rules and just trying to win a premiship are utter bullshit.
Your entilted to your opinion but the old saying goes.
Opinions are like arseholes everybody's got one.
I like to think we got out of a deep hole worked hard and played good footy.
Hence the club is improving on and off the field.
Too sit back and belittle is a sign of your character not mine.
Hope the club does well over the next two seasons and is a position go forward again.
I'm not sure how much time you have spent a club helping with coaching playing committee working bees fundraising canteen cleaning and many other jobs that need to be done.
But I gather not much as your comment on folding shows you don't know shit about club spirit.
Those lads last year when i called them and asked them for help to keep the club going did a great job. I will be forever greatfull for that.
They know what it meant to the club and the supporters.
The big difference between you and me is I'll try and help anybody who needs it. You stick the boot in when there down
I'm proud of my club of which I'm a life member.
So if you feel the need to keep bagging us I'm at kedron on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 5.30 untill about 7.
Come on down and express your views then we would all love to see you.

Our depth was tested last year when we lost the Top 3 of our previous years B&F and 5 of our best 10 and still made a contest at the end of the year.

Depth isn't the issue as much as culture is. We come against solid sides far more regularly this year than we ever have, partly due to the draw and partly due to the improvement of the competition.

As a result, our inclusive culture is being tested because in the past we have rotated players through the team to ensure everyone gets a go. Without reserves, this is a hard thing to do. Every year we get guys to bring down mates who have never played before, and giving guys like this a game becomes harder and harder when the competition gets stronger as you risk losing games just to get games into guys who turn up to training, pay fees and help out every week. You can't just leave these guys out, or you will soon never see them again so its a real balancing act.

It's not all about winning for us, but we don't really enjoy losing so its been a tough year to find the right balance. We tipped the scales too far in the wrong direction early in the year and lost 3 in a row, we're now trying to get it back on the right track. However with the final 4 rounds against fellow Top 5 candidates, its going to be hard for us to stick to our inclusive culture of previous years.

I don't suggest for a second that this comp is stronger, but I do think the top half of this comp is stronger than the bottom half of the Saturday comp and easily so.
Mate I said it after the grand final the woodsman are a club I respect highly.
With a track record like yours only a fool wouldn't.
The way you go about getting guys a game and rotating players is top notch.
It's very difficult to get the balance right and keep everyone happy. Losing every week doesn't keep the top tier players happy. Not getting a game doesn't go well either.
I still think deep down you go out to win every game you play and so you should.
I still backing you bloke's to get the chocolates this year. A slow start but I'm sure it served it purpose with your playing group.
Your right the top team from a lower grade could beat the bottom team from the group above.
But to beat the top sides in the next comp is a big ask.
Over the last fours years I have coached in qfab and qfa now looking at qfaa. From my point of view it does have a large gap in skill intensity and fitness.
But hey there's plenty of people that would say I'm wrong.
Good luck with your footy and I hope you get the chance to play in the big dance this year.

Of course we go out to win every week!

That aint deep down either, thats front and centre. Its just not on the back of hard work at training, big pre seasons and a win at all costs selection process.

However, every bloke still wants to sing the song each week!

If you've read any of aflq' literature, you will see that one of their major platforms in qld is an increased participation rate. Numbers. Nothing to do with quality or competitiveness, just participation. its not the clubs in qafa a who demand to have reserves sides, it's a criteria from aflq to have them in order to play at that level and since the aflq are pushing the participation cart, there is no way they will abandon an entire level even if it's the worst quality of footy in Australia ( which it may well be ).

Which is counter productive in a way, as some clubs want to get a senior team off the ground, but can't rustle up the numbers for 2 teams.

they are left to either play in a Friday night competition, which may not suit some clubs - or just not start a club at all.

I completely agree that the ammo level sides should be single team clubs, one on Saturday's and one on Friday's. I suspect the Friday comp would be filled with 3rds sides and social sides like Woodies and the Saturday comp would get the single team clubs.

But as with anything relating to AFLQ, logic never comes into it.

Remove this Banner Ad

2016 QAFA B Central

Remove this Banner Ad

Back