Strategy 2016 Tacs Trailer

Remove this Banner Ad

Its also tactics. If you are losing centre bounces straight after you kick goals and the opo score a reply goal in 5 to 10 seconds, don't set up offensively for that centre bounce. Its pretty basic.

Remember the whole red, yellow, green, double green setup we would use in 2014? It seems like it's now green, double green.

Janus you may have posted this and I didn't see it, but how does our pressure acts, tackles and the ratio of those compare to the teams we've lost to and the teams we've beaten?

Against St Kilda - 106 tackles, 19 tackles inside forward 50, 376 pressure acts.

Against Adelaide - 64 tackles, 7 tackles inside forward 50, 302 pressure acts.

Against Essendon - 64 tackles, 13 tackles inside forward 50, 269 pressure acts.

But we were shit against St Kilda according to some morons on here. The same morons who are negative now. **** they make me mad.

Last edited:
Against St Kilda - 106 tackles, 19 tackles inside forward 50, 376 pressure acts.

Against Essendon - 64 tackles, 13 tackles inside forward 50, 4 pressure acts.

But we were shit against St Kilda according to some morons on here. The same morons who are negative now. **** they make me mad.
Wow..Look at the pressure acts differential WTF

Against Essendon - 64 tackles, 13 tackles inside forward 50, 4 pressure acts.

Janus the Essendon pressure acts figure seems to be a typo.

Janus the Essendon pressure acts figure seems to be a typo.

It's accurate. If I had looked at this before the GWS game I would have picked them to win by 10 goals.

It's accurate. If I had looked at this before the GWS game I would have picked them to win by 10 goals.
1% stats dropped from 65 against Adel to 61 against Ess in the AFL stats. I can only imagine that your somehow pulling the pressure acts stat out of the player ratings, I can't find them, but it couldn't drop from hundreds to four surely.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That or pressure acts mean jack....which seems strange

Nah its an error. Having 4 pressure acts as a team basically means all 18 players are standing dead still for the whole game.

Dumb question, but is a Pressure Act what we used to call a "one percenter?"

No a one percenter is different. A one percenter is a tackle, smother, shepherd or spoil. A pressure act is (I believe) stuff like chasing, coralling, closing etc.

Against Essendon - 64 tackles, 13 tackles inside forward 50, 269 pressure acts.

54 tackles, 0 tackles inside 50, 271 pressure acts against GWS.

Here's something interesting. Against St.Kilda, a forward line of Charlie Dixon (10), Justin Westhoff (17), Jay Schulz (14), Travis Boak (31), Jake Neade (21) and Chad Wingard (22) combined for 115 pressure acts, or 30% of the total.

Against Adelaide, a forward line of Charlie Dixon (11), Justin Westhoff (12), Dougal Howard (10), Jake Neade (17), Aaron Young (10) and Chad Wingard (9) combined for 69 pressure acts, or 23% of the total. To bring it up to the percentage equivalent of the St.Kilda match, 21 extra pressure acts were needed. If the output of the St.Kilda match had been maintained, another 46 extra pressure acts were required to reach 348 pressure acts, or 33% of the total.

Against GWS, a forward line of Charlie Dixon (7), Justin Westhoff (10), Jake Neade (13), Chad Wingard (11), Aaron Young (10) and Karl Amon (8) combined for 59 pressure acts, or 22% of the total. To bring it up to the equivalent of the St.Kilda match, 22 extra pressure acts were needed. If the output of the St.Kilda match had been maintained, another 56 pressure acts were required to reach 327 pressure acts, or 35% of the total.

What does this prove? It proves that the forward line is most definitely the problem. We are basically missing the equivalent of 2 players worth of pressure acts in the Adelaide and GWS games. Wingard falling from dropping 13 pressure acts against Adelaide I can understand because of his hamstring. Westhoff dropped by 5. Howard replaced Schulz for a loss of 4. Neade lost 4. Dixon gained 1. That's a difference of 25 - 5 per player. The main offender? Aaron Young, with a whopping 21 less pressure acts than Travis Boak.

Fast forward to the GWS game. From the St. Kilda game, Dixon is down 3, Westhoff down 7, Neade is down 8, Wingard down 11 coming back from a hamstring, Young is down 4 from Schulz and Amon is down 23 from Boak.

When just one player in the forward line doesn't pull his weight, the rest of the team suffers. Neither Young nor Amon are defenders. We need a Boak equivalent in the forward line...which is why he plays forward this year. There is zero wrong with him, he's just playing a role that was meant for Monfries, because no one else can.

I'd be dropping Amon for Impey and making him a defensive forward. If he can get around 31 pressure acts, that will inspire the others to step up as well. I'd give Young an opportunity in the Schulz role.

Defense is contagious. But it works both ways. That's why we are trying to turn Colquhoun into a small forward - it's how we want to play the game.

i
54 tackles, 0 tackles inside 50, 271 pressure acts against GWS.

Here's something interesting. Against St.Kilda, a forward line of Charlie Dixon (10), Justin Westhoff (17), Jay Schulz (14), Travis Boak (31), Jake Neade (21) and Chad Wingard (22) combined for 115 pressure acts, or 30% of the total.

Against Adelaide, a forward line of Charlie Dixon (11), Justin Westhoff (12), Dougal Howard (10), Jake Neade (17), Aaron Young (10) and Chad Wingard (9) combined for 69 pressure acts, or 23% of the total. To bring it up to the percentage equivalent of the St.Kilda match, 21 extra pressure acts were needed. If the output of the St.Kilda match had been maintained, another 46 extra pressure acts were required to reach 348 pressure acts, or 33% of the total.

Against GWS, a forward line of Charlie Dixon (7), Justin Westhoff (10), Jake Neade (13), Chad Wingard (11), Aaron Young (10) and Karl Amon (8) combined for 59 pressure acts, or 22% of the total. To bring it up to the equivalent of the St.Kilda match, 22 extra pressure acts were needed. If the output of the St.Kilda match had been maintained, another 56 pressure acts were required to reach 327 pressure acts, or 35% of the total.

What does this prove? It proves that the forward line is most definitely the problem. We are basically missing the equivalent of 2 players worth of pressure acts in the Adelaide and GWS games. Wingard falling from dropping 13 pressure acts against Adelaide I can understand because of his hamstring. Westhoff dropped by 5. Howard replaced Schulz for a loss of 4. Neade lost 4. Dixon gained 1. That's a difference of 25 - 5 per player. The main offender? Aaron Young, with a whopping 21 less pressure acts than Travis Boak.

Fast forward to the GWS game. From the St. Kilda game, Dixon is down 3, Westhoff down 7, Neade is down 8, Wingard down 11 coming back from a hamstring, Young is down 4 from Schulz and Amon is down 23 from Boak.

When just one player in the forward line doesn't pull his weight, the rest of the team suffers. Neither Young nor Amon are defenders. We need a Boak equivalent in the forward line...which is why he plays forward this year. There is zero wrong with him, he's just playing a role that was meant for Monfries, because no one else can.

I'd be dropping Amon for Impey and making him a defensive forward. If he can get around 31 pressure acts, that will inspire the others to step up as well. I'd give Young an opportunity in the Schulz role.

Defense is contagious. But it works both ways. That's why we are trying to turn Colquhoun into a small forward - it's how we want to play the game.
I'm glad you've explained this here about Boak; he is trying to drag the team along with unselfish footy and pressure acts but has become an easy scapegoat. The others need to pull their finger out and do their bit for the team. It's similar to how supporters used to crucify Monfries and say he was not a great loss with the suspensions, but he was the one who's suspension worried me the most. This is why I hate the bagging of players and knee jerk reactions from supporters too. People see what they want to see and sometimes the root problem is something different.

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy 2016 Tacs Trailer

Remove this Banner Ad

Back