2016 Trade/FA discussion (no hypothetical trades)

Remove this Banner Ad

Too early to tell but a ready to go defender is our main need. Outside of that i think we can just hit up the drafts for a bit now.
Almost 2 ready made defenders should be our key targets. Hooker as the main one. Then astbury if he comes cheaps. Replaces both clarke and merrett at the end of year if both do retire.

Almost 2 ready made defenders should be our key targets. Hooker as the main one. Then astbury if he comes cheaps. Replaces both clarke and merrett at the end of year if both do retire.

Must be close to Rogs last year, Clarke unknown. We certainly need 1. I think Harro Paps and McStay will make some good progress this year, but we need that big lock down defender who can take the #1 forward each week. Someone ready to come in and do the job. Hooker would be good, but not sure the chances on that. We dont need a star signing just someone ready made that can slot in and do the job. In saying that, some experience would be good as we will really be lackng some leadership down back to organise the troops.

Must be close to Rogs last year, Clarke unknown. We certainly need 1. I think Harro Paps and McStay will make some good progress this year, but we need that big lock down defender who can take the #1 forward each week. Someone ready to come in and do the job. Hooker would be good, but not sure the chances on that. We dont need a star signing just someone ready made that can slot in and do the job. In saying that, some experience would be good as we will really be lackng some leadership down back to organise the troops.

Hooker would be great more likely to head to Perth if he chooses to leave Essendon. What about his mate Hurley? I would be ringing his manage and saying how much do you want? He might have had enough at Bomberland and would be perfect for our club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah agreed one would do. Hooker isnt a star. But can hold that number one spot. We have already seen what bringing in talented players can do. And the willingness from talented players at other clubs to come to us (christo beams bastinac). No reason hooker wouldnt buy into the hype still might be a long shot though.

i'd be going after hurley, 25 years of age so 2 years younger than hooker and more likely to be open to a generous offer than hooker who will get a huge offer from freeo.
try for astbury again as well IMO would be a good move.
if trent west and stef martin get through 2016 without major injury disruption maybe archie could be ready to go in 2017. then we take mabior chol for 2018 via the go home factor.

I wouldn't be against bringing in some mature aged FA. Not sure who is signed on for 2016 and beyond but someone like Stanton, Hocking, Z.Clarke, De Boer, M.Brown, D.Wells etc. We have a super young team and some leadership and experience wouldn't go astray.

Hurley and Astbury would certainly be asked if they would like to come here. Still think we lack outside run as well so would be targeting a young GWS player like Pickett or WHE.

I will see who brakes out, first before jumping my gun. It hasn't even started yet and jumping to inclusions for 2017. Lets see the first 14 rounds and judge then and after.

I think a really high quality rebounding defender would be gold.
Hopefully CBeams and Cutler reach potential and Harwood improves. Maybe Mayes will learn to play there. At the moment a super quick, super skilled metre maker would be gold...
Or we can return Hanley to that role? (I think this is the best idea).
Maybe McKenzie from the Suns? Reminds me of Drummond.
Midfield seems good if we could get them on the park together.
We have an abundance of potential in the kpf, and talent in the small/mid forward/mids.
Paparone, Andrews, McStay, Gardiner are good future big/medium defenders. Not quite ready to take over from Merrett so maybe a stop gap is a good idea. We will wait and see what happens to JClarke but he was going to be Brilliant. What a shame.

So, I think we need a gun half back.... Or return Hanley to that role. Or maybe CBeams can not get injured for a few weeks.

I think a really high quality rebounding defender would be gold.
Hopefully CBeams and Cutler reach potential and Harwood improves. Maybe Mayes will learn to play there. At the moment a super quick, super skilled metre maker would be gold...
Or we can return Hanley to that role? (I think this is the best idea).
Maybe McKenzie from the Suns? Reminds me of Drummond.
Midfield seems good if we could get them on the park together.
We have an abundance of potential in the kpf, and talent in the small/mid forward/mids.
Paparone, Andrews, McStay, Gardiner are good future big/medium defenders. Not quite ready to take over from Merrett so maybe a stop gap is a good idea. We will wait and see what happens to JClarke but he was going to be Brilliant. What a shame.

So, I think we need a gun half back.... Or return Hanley to that role. Or maybe CBeams can not get injured for a few weeks.

Mackenzie needs a change of scenery I reckon.

How list positions are we likely to vacate? We are set up for a much lower turnover this year. At this stage it's hard to predict who is most likely to go. Most of our mature aged players are in our best 22, or at the fringe of selection. I suppose that it will be a bit more obvious who isn't developing to the required level at the end of the season.

How many picks are we likely at use in the draft? Draft best-available for the first round, and pick 3-4 academy kids?

It all speculation and it will change if we trade out players.

Has to be a minimum 3 list changes each year.
these are the ones i see who could be delisted/traded at seasons end at this stage.

rohan bewick- needs to cement a first 22 spot in 2016, turns 27 in october, would be surplus to requirements going forward if he continues the on and off type form he has displayed his entire career. trade currency?- maybe

trent west- will be under pressure if he has another injury plagued season, i think will be retained if he stays healthy due to our lack of ruck depth. turns 29 in october. trade currency?- no.

josh watts- only been in the system 1 year, probably a bit unfair on him but there is plenty of young talent on the list now. wont need to break into the AFL to get an extension but needs to have a very good NEAFL season to get that extension. trade currency?- no.

ryan lester- turns 24 in august, competing with the likes of jared jansen, nick robertson, billy evans for a spot in the best 22. he does show good glimpses but needs to show a lot more consistency in 2016. if he languishes in the NEAFL for the majority of the season i think he's gone. trade currency?- maybe.

josh mcguinness- i feel in the same situation as josh watts ie. needs a very good NEAFL season. trade currency?- no.

jackson paine- needs to have a good run with injury to show what he has, with justin clarke out there is an opening for him in defence as a more mature option back there. turns 23 in june, being demoted to the rookie list this year shows the club has doubts that he can make it. trade currency? no.

sam mayes- entering his 4th season. do not want to see sam go and hope the club keep him. can see him having a breakout year in 2016, great footy smarts, a much better version of a james aish type player. if he has another "shows potential" season the club may look at trade options. trade currency? yes.

Remove this Banner Ad

2016 Trade/FA discussion (no hypothetical trades)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back