2016 Trade/FA discussion (no hypothetical trades)

Remove this Banner Ad

i think paine was already contracted until the end of this year? but i agree with your sentiments.

Paine was already under contract for 2016. We had a choice between Reuben and Mabier and chose Reuben and I gather it wasn't considered a hard decision given they were considering Reuben in the National Draft. There was never really a choice between Jackson and Mabier.

Paine was already under contract for 2016. We had a choice between Reuben and Mabier and chose Reuben and I gather it wasn't considered a hard decision given they were considering Reuben in the National Draft. There was never really a choice between Jackson and Mabier.

Spot on, Chol was never really in the frame.

The Recruiting guys said as much on draft night at the Melbourne function that quite a few here attended, including dlanod.

I wonder if we'll keep a deal in front of Astbury

I reckon we might. IIRC, he only re-signed for a year with the Tigs. We seemed to be really keen on him for a while during trade week, then it all seemed to evaporate quickly. I wonder if maybe we got to the point where we couldn't get it done last year and indicated we'd have a shot again this year. That could've suited all parties:

• Tigers got at least one more year out of him, and can hold out for a better deal next year if he plays and plays well
  • We still had Merrett this year (and we thought Clarke), so were able to focus on getting more urgent deals (Bell, Bastinac) over the line
  • Astbury got another year to weigh up moving (see how we go this year) and to potentially boost his contract value

I reckon we might. IIRC, he only re-signed for a year with the Tigs. We seemed to be really keen on him for a while during trade week, then it all seemed to evaporate quickly. I wonder if maybe we got to the point where we couldn't get it done last year and indicated we'd have a shot again this year. That could've suited all parties:

• Tigers got at least one more year out of him, and can hold out for a better deal next year if he plays and plays well
  • We still had Merrett this year (and we thought Clarke), so were able to focus on getting more urgent deals (Bell, Bastinac) over the line
  • Astbury got another year to weigh up moving (see how we go this year) and to potentially boost his contract value

Pretty sure Astbury was still in contract, expires at the end of this year. Whitecross signed on for one more year.

Pretty sure Astbury was still in contract, expires at the end of this year. Whitecross signed on for one more year.

Yeah, now that you say that, that sounds correct.

Undeterred, I'll now shift the goalposts and declare victory. That (to me) makes it seem even more likely we might've just indicated we'd have a crack next year.

Thanks ,did not know paine was contracted. I will be corrected if i am wrong ,but I would like to see the ability to trade rookie slections both present and future.

I heard there might have been some off field factors regarding not drafting Chol. I think Paine had shown enough before his injury last year to get one last shot at it. He totally transformed himself from an average runner to one of the better ones and the work he had put in deserves to be rewarded plus he is well liked around the club.

I want to get match winners at the club not nice guys. Off field ,ask lewy How the cars are going. I not saying Chol will be a match winner but if i had to choose between the two Chol would always be my 1st choice.Chol earnt high praise from the queensland academy adrian fletcher coach regards his desire to make it despite adversity. Bye the way i like lewy!!! Paine had his chance ,i do not want list cloggers depriving promising Queensland talent of a chance to play at the mighty lions. Sorry if u hate me for being blunt.
Ps the size of your posts does matter Lol

Last edited:
Thanks ,did not know paine was contracted. I will be corrected if i am wrong ,but I would like to see the ability to trade rookie slections both present and future.

I want to get match winners at the club not nice guys. Off field ,ask lewy How the cars are going. I not saying Chol will be a match winner but if i had to choose between the two Chol would always be my 1st choice.Chol earnt high praise from the queensland academy adrian fletcher coach regards his desire to make it despite adversity. Bye the way i like lewy!!! Paine had his chance ,i do not want list cloggers depriving promising Queensland talent of a chance to play at the mighty lions. Sorry if u hate me for being blunt.
Ps the size of your posts does matter Lol
Match Winners. Says it all for me. Match winners is what we need. I dont associate match winners and Astbury. I do with either Hooker and Hurley. Although would be deterred by their one year on the sidelines.

We are lucky to have gotten 2 match winners 2 seasons ago in christo and beams. Now just need some more quality. Hopefully we can get someone.

Match Winners. Says it all for me. Match winners is what we need. I dont associate match winners and Astbury. I do with either Hooker and Hurley. Although would be deterred by their one year on the sidelines.

We are lucky to have gotten 2 match winners 2 seasons ago in christo and beams. Now just need some more quality. Hopefully we can get someone.[/QUOTE).

I take it you agree with me paine does not cut it? Our A list needs more depth if we r to compete for finals.As we have been down the bottom for so long now , clubs that have been in the bottom 4 for 4 years in a row , should be able have access to one maquee player, who is not included in the cap. I am buoyed by Bam Bam signing on,so there are signs of hope.if u asked me who i would make a massive play for out of the two, it would be hurley to replace loyal servant merritt. In terms of paine vs chol ,i take chol , i am interested who you would prefer out of the two?

Last edited:
Paine doesn't cut it for mine. But is handy depth ATM. i havent seen much of chol to make comment.

Hurley would be fantastic. So pissed we couldnt tempt rance. Hooker would be awesome aswell.

Paine doesn't cut it for mine. But is handy depth ATM. i havent seen much of chol to make comment.

Hurley would be fantastic. So pissed we couldnt tempt rance. Hooker would be awesome aswell.

Paine in the sydney game made me feel sick. My best description is all at sea.He is taking the space ,( this is just my view) of someone who could,make a difference. I hope you get to see footage of chol, although raw,from what i have seen and heard from experts far more in the know than i, i just feel he is more versitile and therefore offers more scope to develope.
Ps i totally agree with you on Rance,pissed is an understatement.

You can trade players on your rookie list already, but you can't trade rookie draft picks. I'm not sure which you meant here. Trading rookie draft picks wouldn't have made a difference since we didn't have any live rookie picks - we had two slots, once of which was used for downgrading Paine and the other was for prelisting Reuben (done before the draft).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You can trade players on your rookie list already, but you can't trade rookie draft picks. I'm not sure which you meant here. Trading rookie draft picks wouldn't have made a difference since we didn't have any live rookie picks - we had two slots, once of which was used for downgrading Paine and the other was for prelisting Reuben (done before the draft).

I want to spice up trading ,allowing clubs to be able to trade rookie draft selections ,just like the normal draft,with rookie spots becoming more flexibile, particulary to non traditional states,like brisbane .what i mean.? I will take chol case ,as an example.So long as brisbane choose academy players ,they can pre list the players they want prior to the rookie draft starting, they would also be able take advantage of trading future picks to trade up or down just as all clubs ,however they would be given the ability to even add spots to take advantage of strong academy years!brisbane would know who they want now.So in chol case,if brisbane liked him enough ,they would nominate him prior to the rookie draft,it would add an extra spot to our allowable spots yes but brisbane could and would be allowed to adjust their list the following year. This is the very least ,in my opinion the afl can do to strenghten and help bribane.remember it is only the rookie draft and not the national draft. I am sick and tried of everything we ask for being declined by afl. The nmber of years we have been in the bottom 4 does not help prompt footy in queensland. This flexibility may also give young queensland kids an added incentive to play footyin queensland.

1. Someone have an up to date list of QLDers in the AFL?

2. Any suggestion on a super quick, elite kick we could poach?

We had very good oversight on Chol over a multi year period. If anyone knows his potential, it's us and we clearly have a need for a ruckman. Yet we took an injured Skinner and Williams before him.

That says to me that there are other factors that aren't as obvious from the stands.

This seems implausible compared to the alternative explanation that we're self-defeating morons.

Was one of the better Lions functions I have attended.

Here's hoping they do it again this year and can only recommend anyone that didn't attend to make sure they get along for some amazing insights.
I was thinking about this yesterday. After the feedback from posters last year, I'm very keen to head down if they do it again.

Was one of the better Lions functions I have attended.

Here's hoping they do it again this year and can only recommend anyone that didn't attend to make sure they get along for some amazing insights.

Totally agree. Well organised and the right people were there for insights :thumbsu:

I was thinking about this yesterday. After the feedback from posters last year, I'm very keen to head down if they do it again.

Well worth it and the food was exceptional too.

Two recruiters plus Sam Lord (Vic Manager) in attendance providing insight into our draft strategy before the commencement of the draft, in addition to live updates during and post the draft. They also got Schache, Keays and Hipwood on the line post draft for an interview, which wasn't expected.

One highlight for mine was the recruiters identifying Mathieson as the player we would take if available, although they were pretty surprised he was still available, so when it came our turn for that pick, it was no surprise to those at the function that we quickly pounced. The insights into why we didn't take Wagner (North Melbourne) and Chol (eventual Richmond rookie) were also interesting.

Definite must see event for those that can get to it. Would be great for those in Brisbane if they brought the same event up there, but given the recruiters are based in Melbourne, we'll just leave it here.;)

I'd imagine it would very much depend on what draft selections we look like having on the night as to whether we hold similar events in the future.

Well they did hold it with an expected draft of pick 2, two academy boys and a pick around 40. It's hard to get less gripping than that. ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

2016 Trade/FA discussion (no hypothetical trades)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back