2016 Trade/FA discussion (no hypothetical trades)

Remove this Banner Ad

these are the ones i see who could be delisted/traded at seasons end at this stage.

rohan bewick- needs to cement a first 22 spot in 2016, turns 27 in october, would be surplus to requirements going forward if he continues the on and off type form he has displayed his entire career. trade currency?- maybe

trent west- will be under pressure if he has another injury plagued season, i think will be retained if he stays healthy due to our lack of ruck depth. turns 29 in october. trade currency?- no.

josh watts- only been in the system 1 year, probably a bit unfair on him but there is plenty of young talent on the list now. wont need to break into the AFL to get an extension but needs to have a very good NEAFL season to get that extension. trade currency?- no.

ryan lester- turns 24 in august, competing with the likes of jared jansen, nick robertson, billy evans for a spot in the best 22. he does show good glimpses but needs to show a lot more consistency in 2016. if he languishes in the NEAFL for the majority of the season i think he's gone. trade currency?- maybe.

josh mcguinness- i feel in the same situation as josh watts ie. needs a very good NEAFL season. trade currency?- no.

jackson paine- needs to have a good run with injury to show what he has, with justin clarke out there is an opening for him in defence as a more mature option back there. turns 23 in june, being demoted to the rookie list this year shows the club has doubts that he can make it. trade currency? no.

sam mayes- entering his 4th season. do not want to see sam go and hope the club keep him. can see him having a breakout year in 2016, great footy smarts, a much better version of a james aish type player. if he has another "shows potential" season the club may look at trade options. trade currency? yes.
Bewick, Watts, McGuiness

Could say the same with rich.

Rich actually has more to his game. Watch the 2 and you'll see a huge difference. Though we haven't seen the best of his regularly. I think what we really need is a Stephen Hill type of footballer. Has Richs assets, but can also break the game open with leg speed.

Well it is true. As much as i love rich. You take that weapon away and he becomes sub par.
Can't argue against that. Rich is held back by his ability (or laziness) to gut run, demand the footy and to spread from the contest well enough to be in the correct position to receive the ball as the last in the chain. If he can improve his involvement he could step up from a B grader to an A grader.

Can't argue against that. Rich is held back by his ability (or laziness) to gut run, demand the footy and to spread from the contest well enough to be in the correct position to receive the ball as the last in the chain. If he can improve his involvement he could step up from a B grader to an A grader.
richys training has been exceptional this off season and he looks in the best shape of his career, i will not be surprised if he has a stunning year. the thought of rich, hanley, d.beams, rockliff and christensen in top form is mouth watering. you can't put a hard tag on all of them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

richys training has been exceptional this off season and he looks in the best shape of his career, i will not be surprised if he has a stunning year. the thought of rich, hanley, d.beams, rockliff and christensen in top form is mouth watering. you can't put a hard tag on all of them.

6 fully fit Pearce Hanleys, would be mouth watering. ;-)

these are the ones i see who could be delisted/traded at seasons end at this stage.

rohan bewick- needs to cement a first 22 spot in 2016, turns 27 in october, would be surplus to requirements going forward if he continues the on and off type form he has displayed his entire career. trade currency?- maybe

trent west- will be under pressure if he has another injury plagued season, i think will be retained if he stays healthy due to our lack of ruck depth. turns 29 in october. trade currency?- no.

josh watts- only been in the system 1 year, probably a bit unfair on him but there is plenty of young talent on the list now. wont need to break into the AFL to get an extension but needs to have a very good NEAFL season to get that extension. trade currency?- no.

ryan lester- turns 24 in august, competing with the likes of jared jansen, nick robertson, billy evans for a spot in the best 22. he does show good glimpses but needs to show a lot more consistency in 2016. if he languishes in the NEAFL for the majority of the season i think he's gone. trade currency?- maybe.

josh mcguinness- i feel in the same situation as josh watts ie. needs a very good NEAFL season. trade currency?- no.

jackson paine- needs to have a good run with injury to show what he has, with justin clarke out there is an opening for him in defence as a more mature option back there. turns 23 in june, being demoted to the rookie list this year shows the club has doubts that he can make it. trade currency? no.

sam mayes- entering his 4th season. do not want to see sam go and hope the club keep him. can see him having a breakout year in 2016, great footy smarts, a much better version of a james aish type player. if he has another "shows potential" season the club may look at trade options. trade currency? yes.

Like what you stated. I really hope Mayes stays.

Rich actually has more to his game. Watch the 2 and you'll see a huge difference. Though we haven't seen the best of his regularly. I think what we really need is a Stephen Hill type of footballer. Has Richs assets, but can also break the game open with leg speed.
Rich actually has the ability to take the game away from the opposition, just can't handle a tag. Can also win his own ball unlike most players with that sort of weapon.
McKenzie doesn't really fit anywhere. Not good enough defensively to play tall, doesn't provide enough run to play off half back, doesn't have the tank for the midfield. Needs a big year to avoid being de-listed.

We need someone who can a) hit targets by foot at an elite level. Ideas?
B) stupid quick - as in VERY fast. Able to penetrate lines... A la Jetta? But better? Ideas?

We need someone who can a) hit targets by foot at an elite level. Ideas?
B) stupid quick - as in VERY fast. Able to penetrate lines... A la Jetta? But better? Ideas?
they don't grow on trees:). stephen hill, isaac smith, harley bennell types? can't think of any others off the top of my head. our versions- pearce hanley, dayne zorko?
maybe rueben william, jacob allison in a few years.

As someone said, someone like Adam Saad from the Suns is exactly what we need. Blistering pace and ability to take the game on from the backline.

Fast becoming one of my favourite Non-Lions players to watch. Would complement our list so well, really hope we can add a similar type over the next two years.

Mabior would definitely be in our little book of WGH to Brizzy prospects.

Chol i feel should have been picked up in the rookie draft last year instead of paine. I wanted the club to look forward rather than back. Chol may not make it or he may ,but i believe he was worth the risk and one i would have taken. Paine s performance was extremely disappointing against sydney. Paine may prove me wrong as well , but the big advantage with chol is he is only young and with the right coaches has scope to develope his game better than paine. Thoughts please?

Chol i feel should have been picked up in the rookie draft last year instead of paine. I wanted the club to look forward rather than back. Chol may not make it or he may ,but i believe he was worth the risk and one i would have taken. Paine s performance was extremely disappointing against sydney. Paine may prove me wrong as well , but the big advantage with chol is he is only young and with the right coaches has scope to develope his game better than paine. Thoughts please?
I agree with you, Chol had shown enough during the carnival also in the allies vs Aus before the GF. He slipped to the rookie draft and as harsh as it sounds we should be picking up a young fella with scope than a bloke who has been in the system, traded and then demoted to the rookie list. Either of them might not make it but one of them certainly won't. Harsh but true. I am certain that list management is not an easy gig and it's not SuperCoach but I feel that it was close to a no brainer and there were some others that could have been looked at as well, Grimley and also Zac Smith. I understand it's easy to say lets grab this bloke and that bloke but Ruck is a real concern and most of our KPP are in nappies.

i think paine was already contracted until the end of this year? but i agree with your sentiments.

I agree with you, Chol had shown enough during the carnival also in the allies vs Aus before the GF. He slipped to the rookie draft and as harsh as it sounds we should be picking up a young fella with scope than a bloke who has been in the system, traded and then demoted to the rookie list. Either of them might not make it but one of them certainly won't. Harsh but true. I am certain that list management is not an easy gig and it's not SuperCoach but I feel that it was close to a no brainer and there were some others that could have been looked at as well, Grimley and also Zac Smith. I understand it's easy to say lets grab this bloke and that bloke but Ruck is a real concern and most of our KPP are in nappies.
I heard there might have been some off field factors regarding not drafting Chol. I think Paine had shown enough before his injury last year to get one last shot at it. He totally transformed himself from an average runner to one of the better ones and the work he had put in deserves to be rewarded plus he is well liked around the club.

Remove this Banner Ad

2016 Trade/FA discussion (no hypothetical trades)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back