2016 Trade Hypotheticals (Opposition supporters post here)

Balls on the line, who you moving on......

• Rocky

Votes: 75 42.1%
  • Pearce

Votes: 82 46.1%
  • Rich

Votes: 21 11.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Ive had the misfortune of watching Witts on a regular basis. Im genuinely trying to explain that we should not be trading for him. LIST CLOGGER ALERT! We should at best worst pick him up in pre season draft if we genuinely think their is no better option available to us.
Towers is also we need to be alerted too,Rohan,is very erratic and sadly injury prone.

Witts is a 209cm ruck who like many is at his best when he is the sole ruck. He got that opportunity a few times last year and looked very impressive doing so. It was a genuine 50/50 call who was going to be the number 1 ruck at Collingwood going into the season (I rate Grundy as a fantastic talent fwiw) with many suggesting it was Witts before he was injured. He has had a pretty poor year but I still think he is a high upside type who will give us something we haven't had for years - first use of the ball. He is only 23 years old and I see a hell of a lot of Max Gawn in him. The offers that came in for him at the end of last year were a lot higher than McStay but coming off a poorer year he is there to be had.

On McStay I swear some of you go through games with your eyes closed. The guy can takes one or two nice looking marks a game and has a good kicking style and suddenly everyone thinks he is a star in the making. Lets be clear - McStay is hopeless defensively. Virtually every player he has played on this year has kicked goals in bags. The coaching staff have been forced to hide him on multiple occasions. He does not play within the defensive structures and has zero man on man ability. He wants to mark the ball all the time and ignores where the hell his man actually is. He is burnt time after time. His defensive instincts are non-existant and if I can trade him for something worthwhile all the better. We have others I would much prefer get games down back.

Martin is not going to be there when we are actually relevant again and if I could trade him at this stage for something and clear up the number 1 ruck role for Witts I do it. I try and grab a second rounder this year in the aim of picking up a ruckman in the draft. I think there are 4 or 5 excellent rucks available this year all of whom I would have better than any ruck taken since Grundy.

MacKenzie has come back from a knee injury and has struggled this year. Before that though he was regarded as one of the better defensive key positions in the competition. He is 28 with a few years potentially left in him and is the kind of veteran it would be good to pair our young group of talls with. West Coast have a very well organised defense and I would like to see some of that on-field smarts introduced to our group.

Lamb is being played in the Darling role in the WAFL and there have been whispers at him being annoyed with his lack of opportunity. He is a hugely talented player who can be a bit erratic but his ceiling is him becoming someone like Stevie J. He is a very good runner and would bring some of the athleticism and speed we are missing.

Taylor adds very little to the side apart from a fair bit of useless possessions and an increased quota of hospital handballs. There is a chance he could develop into something worthwhile but I think his game has gone backwards since his first year. He needs a fresh start. He is not breaking into our midfield and he is eminently replaceable up forward where he gives us a smidge over a goal a game and little in the way of defensive pressure. I would be aiming to get Christensen more forward minutes last year and if we drafted SPS I could see him stepping into Taylor's role from day one and doing it better.

Paparone is the one I would actually feel most anxious about trading. I like his height and running ability and I think if used correctly he could cover for a lot of sins of the rest of the side. I think he could do well at Subi. I looked at what we could afford to lose and at the end I concluded that we had to give something to get something.
Re McStay you should start a generalisation, or sweeping statement thread.By the way ,how's Paparones contested game coming on !

Witts was looking excellent in the preseason and he was definitely first choice going into round one. Since coming back from injury his form in the VFL has been good. His only AFL game was a shocker but really a guy his size needs a couple of games at least to find form at the top level imo. His biggest weakness had been tap ruckwork but I always thought that was more a function of his underdevelopment. He was looking terrific in the preseason, especially in the hit outs, and in a year or two he could end up being a monster. He also has a pretty good tank for someone his height. Recruiting him might be a flop but it could also cheaply resolve your ruck issue for the medium term. On average I bet it would be way cheaper than going to the draft for a ruck.

Grundy's form the last few weeks would indicate that Witts is on the way out. I think it will be more an issue of Witts wanting to join Brisbane though, than Brisbane wanting to recruit him.
Yeah we should just count our lucky stars and believe we are blessed if he wants to come to us. That was pretty much "not even shit players will want to play for you". Thanks for popping over with your great insight and then insult. Cheers.

Yeah we should just count our lucky stars and believe we are blessed if he wants to come to us. That was pretty much "not even shit players will want to play for you". Thanks for popping over with your great insight and then insult. Cheers.
No, Witts knocked back a potential trade to GWS last season which ought to have been a pretty attractive destination since they are going to dominate in the next period and Mumford is getting old. If he didn't want to move to GWS then I highly doubt he'd want to move to Brisbane.The only situation I can think of is if there was no interest from clubs in Melbourne but I can think of at least 2 that should be very keen in which case you'd probably have to pay overs to get him which is probably not a great idea.

Mate, come trade week Collingwood will be asking for a 1st or early second round pick for Witts. Not to mention Witt's manger will be demanding $$$$$$$$$

Mate, come trade week Collingwood will be asking for a 1st or early second round pick for Witts. Not to mention Witt's manger will be demanding $$$$$$$$$

Better value chasing Vardy....We seem to be able to trade with Geelong for their ex-Rucks

The Herald Sun understands Western Bulldogs, Greater Western Sydney and Brisbane have also made inquiries about the goal kicker.
The Gippsland product made a dazzling start to his career at Geelong, earning comparisons to Saints superstar Nick Riewoldt for his marking power.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...s/news-story/882e1d13f9550c6b4b5dd057fc6df87b

I would be staying away from Nathan. Handy player when fit, but he's had a serious of groin, hip, shoulder, knee, foot and back injuries. He's unfortunately the definition of a injury prone player that we should be staying away from.

Yep a buyer beware with Vardy. I would be more inclined to have a crack at Ty Vickery. Waiting to be howled down, 3, 2, 1. Vickery is moving into the prime age for a Ruck/2nd forward. He is durable, he has a presence. He was drafted as an elite talent and we need another forward/ruck. He would at least give us a more mature target to continue to straighten us up and provide a back up to Martin. This is a potential high risk/high reward trade. Geelong took a punt on Ottens and how did that work out? Worth a try for where our list at the moment. This would also allow to Josh Walker to play back and become the mature body we need down there when Rog retires.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep a buyer beware with Vardy. I would be more inclined to have a crack at Ty Vickery. Waiting to be howled down, 3, 2, 1. Vickery is moving into the prime age for a Ruck/2nd forward. He is durable, he has a presence. He was drafted as an elite talent and we need another forward/ruck. He would at least give us a more mature target to continue to straighten us up and provide a back up to Martin. This is a potential high risk/high reward trade. Geelong took a punt on Ottens and how did that work out? Worth a try for where our list at the moment. This would also allow to Josh Walker to play back and become the mature body we need down there when Rog retires.
I think Griffiths would be better value. A little mentally stronger.

Well said quigley, there will no doubt be some team changes at the end of the season that will upset many on here, but it has to happen if we are to continue with leppa and his game plan.
I would also be reluctant to lose Paparone, he is developing nicely in defence, is reading the play better each season and getting more intercept marks.

I would be staying away from Nathan. Handy player when fit, but he's had a serious of groin, hip, shoulder, knee, foot and back injuries. He's unfortunately the definition of a injury prone player that we should be staying away from.

So that's right up our recruiting alley.. should fit straight in..

I thought we had some interesting trade periods in the past. But this looms as the icing on the cake one (well kind of). If we can get Jenkins and a key defender or 2 that would go along way to strengthening our spine. However on the flip side the prospect of losing taylor green gardiner and rockliff would kill.

I thought we had some interesting trade periods in the past. But this looms as the icing on the cake one (well kind of). If we can get Jenkins and a key defender or 2 that would go along way to strengthening our spine. However on the flip side the prospect of losing taylor green gardiner and rockliff would kill.
If have to keep Gardiner and Rockliff. We can always pick up another Taylor or Caleb Daniels late in the draft. The small type of players tend to slide in the draft, where as finding a reliable key defender and A grade contested mid are difficult to replace.

I think this is a tough one with McStay, if we keep Gardiner he becomes a little less required with the talls we already have. He has to play back but If we get an experienced defender as we are chasing and in need of, then one of the current guys goes out. Maybe if McStay has a lot of currency (and he might since he can play either end) it is worth a look. If Gardiner goes though then we shouldn't even think about trading McStay at all

Not sure what people see in Gardiner TBH. He leaks goals and has the great ability of giving away free kicks inside 50 for stupid crap. Too short, too slow, and just doesn't do enough for mine. Plays as a shut down defender yet gets a lot kicked on him every week... he takes the 3rd tall every week as well. I just can't see how he can handle the 2nd key forwards once Merrett goes. Although I wouldn't be happy if he left I see him as someone who is expendable especially if we bring in a mature body to allow Skinner and possibly Hammelmann to develop. They have both looked great in the reserves from the footage I have seen.

Not sure what people see in Gardiner TBH. He leaks goals and has the great ability of giving away free kicks inside 50 for stupid crap. Too short, too slow, and just doesn't do enough for mine. Plays as a shut down defender yet gets a lot kicked on him every week... he takes the 3rd tall every week as well. I just can't see how he can handle the 2nd key forwards once Merrett goes. Although I wouldn't be happy if he left I see him as someone who is expendable especially if we bring in a mature body to allow Skinner and possibly Hammelmann to develop. They have both looked great in the reserves from the footage I have seen.
Gardiners biggest problem is the midfield he plays with. Along with mcstay and merret. Sure they are losing some one on ones and leaking goals. But if our midfield actually puts in it stops coming in so quick. More time to set up and more time to be pro active instead of reactive. Gardiner is someone we should be keeping. Skinner is an unknown. Cant wait to see him get a crack.

Anyone watching the swans vs cats game tonight and notice how well Towers is playing? Can't say I've noticed him much before, but have kept an eye on him tonight since we have been linked to him. Would love to have him at our club. Good size and works really hard, so many second and third efforts. Having a big impact on a big game.

Gardiners biggest problem is the midfield he plays with. Along with mcstay and merret. Sure they are losing some one on ones and leaking goals. But if our midfield actually puts in it stops coming in so quick. More time to set up and more time to be pro active instead of reactive. Gardiner is someone we should be keeping. Skinner is an unknown. Cant wait to see him get a crack.
Cant believe the high handed crap people dish out to our younger players on this board...now its Gardiners turn! What do you think Rance was doing at the same stage ? Apart from the problems of being played carrying injuries, and having to cover for a pathetic midfield and non existent leadership division....its a wonder its not the GH 25 by now !

Remove this Banner Ad

2016 Trade Hypotheticals (Opposition supporters post here)

Back