2016 Trade Hypotheticals (Opposition supporters post here)

Balls on the line, who you moving on......

• Rocky

Votes: 75 42.1%
  • Pearce

Votes: 82 46.1%
  • Rich

Votes: 21 11.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I've had a peak through your board and I see some want a whole heap of first rounders. Saints are interested but can't see them dishing out another first after last year. We could probably chuck in a lower ranked player.

just saw this on twitter, we can't give what you want for him

http://www.sportingnews.com/afl/lis...hock-suitor/bu9bruotrcgh1u4bqugilkdft/slide/4

The Lions’ skipper wants out and the club is happy to let him go, but they are seeking a first and second round pick in exchange for the 26-year-old ball magnet.

They’re not going to get it, but the Western Bulldogs are hoping to come into calculations in an effort to bolster their midfield.

This one’s going to come down to what the Dogs can get for Tom Boyd.

It surprises me a little bit that the suns haven't been named as suitors.

It seems like a good fit, especially if they lose Prestia and O'Meara, and they have multiple first rounders to play with. He'd give them an immediate boost, and would be a marketing coup (stealing rivals' captain) inasmuch as football in Queensland can produce marketing coups.

It surprises me a little bit that the suns haven't been named as suitors.

It seems like a good fit, especially if they lose Prestia and O'Meara, and they have multiple first rounders to play with. He'd give them an immediate boost, and would be a marketing coup (stealing rivals' captain) inasmuch as football in Queensland can produce marketing coups.

Actually yeah, that would be huge. Give up one of their first rounders maybe a later pick swap as well

I've had a peak through your board and I see some want a whole heap of first rounders. Saints are interested but can't see them dishing out another first after last year. We could probably chuck in a lower ranked player.
your first pick this year (hopefully that ends up being pick 11:)) + kyle hartigan?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wonder if Richmond would be keen on parting with their first rounder (likely #6) in some sort of deal for Rockliff? Extraordinarily impatient board and fans hungry for wins. If they added a player like Rockliff it could be viewed as an off season "win" and keep the wolves at bay, and give Hardwick some breathing room. Not sure what sort of deal would do it, perhaps Rockliff + our #28 (or later pick) for their #6 and Vickery (need ruck depth). I'd love to keep #28 and give them Freeman as a key tall to keep the heat off Riewoldt but given how little Freeman has played I doubt there's many teams with him on their radar.

The problem with Richmond is that they are copping heat for not taking and developing young talent. After several years of finishing mid table, they now have an opportunity to get a crack at a top 6 or 7 pick. Trading that would put enormous amounts of pressure on the club.

On the flip side, they are also in a position where they have a generation of players who could never challenge for a flag. Unless something changes, Martin, Cotchin, Riewoldt and Rance are all going to finish their careers without a finals win. That's a wasted opportunity. I wonder if their supporters would be prepared to roll the dice one more time in the hope of getting a difference maker on the list.

Gut feel is that they will stick with the draft though.

The problem with Richmond is that they are copping heat for not taking and developing young talent. After several years of finishing mid table, they now have an opportunity to get a crack at a top 6 or 7 pick. Trading that would put enormous amounts of pressure on the club.

On the flip side, they are also in a position where they have a generation of players who could never challenge for a flag. Unless something changes, Martin, Cotchin, Riewoldt and Rance are all going to finish their careers without a finals win. That's a wasted opportunity. I wonder if their supporters would be prepared to roll the dice one more time in the hope of getting a difference maker on the list.

Gut feel is that they will stick with the draft though.

My gut feeling POBT, is that Richmond fans (and board) are getting antsy as they believe they should be knocking on top 4/deep in the finals by now. I doubt they want to wait for a draftee to develop, plus they are sick and tired of blowing it at the draft. Most Richmond fans believe they haven't made a decent selection at the draft since 2010. Pressure is on....and I think their hand may be sooner turned towards using that pick as a trade, and targeting an established AFL gun to slot straight in and boost their side for round 1 next season. Hence me suggesting Rockliff. However as Big Sauce just said, they may have it earmarked already for Prestia. If they indeed have their hearts set on Prestia but miss out, and Rockliff really does want gone from the Lions, the Lions should be straight on the phone to Richmond to talk turkey.

I think if the Lions got Richmond's #6/#7 for Rockliff, and we curried up a deal of #2 and #20 to to GC for their #4 and #8, that would be an incredible boon of trading for the Lions. Leaving us with #4, #6/7 and #8. If Martin wants back to Melbourne, and its true we can nab WBD's first rounder, then we can add that to the pile. To turn leaving/disgruntled/stagnating players departing the Lions into 4 picks in the top 15, 3 of which are top 10, in a promising draft such as this, would be a major step forward in terms of rebuilding via quality drafting.

Being cautious, surely at least one of those 4 picks should amount to a genuine bona fide A-grade talent, unless we are extremely unlucky, with hopefully solid best 22 from a couple of the others. We could strike it rich and have a Hawthown-esque 2004 draft, and nail each and every pick with 4 absolute stars, but I won't get ahead of ourselves just yet.

Drafting is by no means an exact science, but the club's ability to earmark talent at the last several drafts has been incredibly impressive to say the least. I back them in to draft exceptionally well this draft too if we ended up with a spread of picks like that.

Leaving players (and I imagine there will be quite a few - i.e possibly Green, Taylor, plus some other surprises) could be used as steakknives in any of the above deals, straight swaps for fringe players that fulfill needs on our team (i.e. defenders, ruck) and to compile a surplus of 2nd/3rd round picks for this draft or future.

If throwing enormous amounts of money at Hurley doesn't woo him to Brisbane, I wouldn't mind the idea of looking closely at the state leagues for a ready-made big bodied ruck and/or defender to come in round 1 and fill a hole. Could get them cheap via the draft also.

Picking up a couple experienced FA guns like Bartel in the twilight of their careers, still capable of a year or two of good footy, yet able to provide much needed leadership and guidance on the field, would be an almost non-negotiable to add to the team and help nurture the youngsters.

Remove this Banner Ad

2016 Trade Hypotheticals (Opposition supporters post here)

Back