Draft Watcher 2016 Young Talent Time

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been a bit busy with the day job this week, but I think I've finalised my rankings. They're here on the first page. Also...

I promised a smokie. And at #49 is Tom Charlton, a 192cm forward from Norwood in the SANFL. He's a kid I'm particularly keen on, I've more been wanting to see if anyone else is seeing what I am. If there is one thing that this draft is lacking, it's goal kickers over 190cm and I think Charlton shows some real potential. He reminds me a bit of Shane Kersten, although obviously less developed. Has really good speed which he uses well on the lead, also marks the ball strongly above his head. Both on goal and in the field, his kicking is well above average too. I doubt he'll grow to KPP height, 192cm seems about his maximum but he'd be versatile as that 3rd or 4th tall. Just needs a few years in the gym, he'll get pushed off the ball too much at the moment. He was invited to the state screening, but there's usually a surprise in the national draft somewhere. And I think Charlon could be the one.

I knew your smokey would be a South Australian! Just picked the wrong one from the state screening.

I knew your smokey would be a South Australian! Just picked the wrong one from the state screening.

It's always a safe bet really. I do like Charlton though, I'm hoping everyone is supposed when his name is called out.

I've updated my draft. For now, I've removed my profiles because I haven't had the time to finish them off for everyone. I'll look to edit them in though, but for now the draft order is the important one.

I've updated my draft. For now, I've removed my profiles because I haven't had the time to finish them off for everyone. I'll look to edit them in though, but for now the draft order is the important one.
Would you be happy if we picked Brodie? I would but I've only watched 5mins of highlights so I shouldn't really be commenting.

Nice list mate. A few different names to consider.

A few more well known names are missing though: Luke Ryan, Poholke, Atley, Lipinski and Romensky. Any reason for their omission?

Thanks. I feel like Twomey and Anderson copied me a little, I had Taranto at #2 a few hours before them. :p

As for those others, I left Luke Ryan out because I don't feel like I've seen enough to comment accurately. I don't watch a lot of seniors. Of the mature aged players, I've tended to watch more of the ruckmen - guys like McInerney and Marshall. Because that's where the ruckmen usually come from. But even then, I really like what I saw of McInerney but I still don't think I've seen enough to put him as high as he might go. So yeah, I've deliberately left the mature aged guys out. Except for Willie Rioli.

Otherwise, I'm not big on either of Atley or Romensky. Neither seem to have much impact for me, low ceilings compared to some other players around the same ranges. Lipinski is one of the first I have going in my rookie draft, he missed out solely because of depth - this draft has a lot of utilities in that 185-192cm range and others I have rated higher. Guys like Morrish, Williamson, Duman, Dundon.

With Poholke, I don't know what it is but I'm just not that interested. I know I should be, and he'll probably make me look silly when he debuts in Round 1 next year. He's not particularly clean or classy, more that strong bull at the gate type player. I do have him at #1 in my rookie draft though.

Would you be happy if we picked Brodie? I would but I've only watched 5mins of highlights so I shouldn't really be commenting.

I've thought about it, and I would be. In putting together my draft, I'm not a big fan of the contested midfielders outside of the first round. Brodie really is at the top by himself, then there's a big drop off to the likes of Clarke, Graham and Scheer. If you were to pass on Brodie, then you might as well give up on drafting an inside midfielder this year. The draft has depth in outside types, small forwards and utilities.

Thanks. I feel like Twomey and Anderson copied me a little, I had Taranto at #2 a few hours before them. :p

As for those others, I left Luke Ryan out because I don't feel like I've seen enough to comment accurately. I don't watch a lot of seniors. Of the mature aged players, I've tended to watch more of the ruckmen - guys like McInerney and Marshall. Because that's where the ruckmen usually come from. But even then, I really like what I saw of McInerney but I still don't think I've seen enough to put him as high as he might go. So yeah, I've deliberately left the mature aged guys out. Except for Willie Rioli.

Otherwise, I'm not big on either of Atley or Romensky. Neither seem to have much impact for me, low ceilings compared to some other players around the same ranges. Lipinski is one of the first I have going in my rookie draft, he missed out solely because of depth - this draft has a lot of utilities in that 185-192cm range and others I have rated higher. Guys like Morrish, Williamson, Duman, Dundon.

With Poholke, I don't know what it is but I'm just not that interested. I know I should be, and he'll probably make me look silly when he debuts in Round 1 next year. He's not particularly clean or classy, more that strong bull at the gate type player. I do have him at #1 in my rookie draft though.

I've thought about it, and I would be. In putting together my draft, I'm not a big fan of the contested midfielders outside of the first round. Brodie really is at the top by himself, then there's a big drop off to the likes of Clarke, Graham and Scheer. If you were to pass on Brodie, then you might as well give up on drafting an inside midfielder this year. The draft has depth in outside types, small forwards and utilities.
Be very, very surprised if Adelaide don't take Lipinski if still there with either of their 2nd and 3rd pick given their interest all year.

Be very, very surprised if Adelaide don't take Lipinski if still there with either of their 2nd and 3rd pick given their interest all year.

There's certainly been a lot of talk about that for a while now. My draft is still heavily weighted towards my own rankings, as opposed to predicting what will happen. Others will update tomorrow depending on rumours. Lipinski was tough to miss out though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back