Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Noah Balta

• Aiden Bonar

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Rayner, Coffield, Stephenson, Higgins or Brayshaw for me, but gut tells me we're keen on Fogerty and have been for a while now.
Lloyd made a reference to the fact that Tucker didn't have a good draft year but we still took him. So I doubt Fogerty's below par championships would stop us from taking him. One ranking (not on bigfooty) I saw yesterday had LDU at 5. That would make it interesting.
edit - Ah maybe not..
Dandenong Stingrays big-bodied midfielder Luke Davies-Uniacke has emerged as a live chance to be taken by the Lions at Pick 1.

Last edited:
Lloyd made a reference to the fact that Tucker didn't have a good draft year but we still took him. So I doubt Fogerty's below par championships would stop us from taking him. One ranking (not on bigfooty) I saw yesterday had LDU at 5. That would make it interesting.
I'll be absolutely gobsmacked if we take him....the more I go through his highlights and comparisons with other mid U18players, and it will be interesting to see how he tests, i think he would be lucky to be inside the top ten. I keep saying it, for us re an inside mid, which he is not, he is not quick with hands and when the tempo goes up he gets caught out. Solid player in other ways though.

I'll be absolutely gobsmacked if we take him....the more I go through his highlights and comparisons with other mid U18players, and it will be interesting to see how he tests, i think he would be lucky to be inside the top ten. I keep saying it, for us re an inside mid, which he is not, he is not quick with hands and when the tempo goes up he gets caught out. Solid player in other ways though.
Mixed reviews on him. Some like Buckenara rate him highly, others see him as slipping. Personally, I don't agree with you about his highlight package, but we all see players differently.

Mixed reviews on him. Some like Buckenara rate him highly, others see him as slipping. Personally, I don't agree with you about his highlight package, but we all see players differently.
are you speaking about Lauchlan Fogarty or Darcy Fogarty....Lauch is possible top ten imop?

Won't be testing due to knee injury.

I hope we use the pick to do something awesome....doesn't matter what. Just use it to get max value out of it and get what will make our team better.

Maybe the next Pav or Fyfe would be good..no pressure recruiting team.

Or use it to trade in a Hogan type.

Doesn't matter how we spend it as long as we use it wisely.

Just seems the sort we like and currently need. Powerful big bodied mid that can also play forward and defence if needed. The strength and versatility will be attractive to us I'd say. Plus being from SA. But as I said, just a gut feel.
Going through the top rated players they all make sense to me, or at least could have an argument put about why they would be a good option.

ah then we respectfully disagree. I did go over more than the under 18 nab highlights by the way.
That's fair enough, but other people who also go through more than just the nab highlights still rate him highly. He is tough, versatile, good size,is a good mark, tackles well, is a very good kick, has a good side-step, a good don't argue,;likes to take the game on, weaves through congestion and makes good decisions.+ more that I probably forgot to mention. I don't think his poor champs and the fact he can't test is going to help his cause though. It makes him more of a speculative pick unless you do what Lloyd did with Tucker and trust his form the year before the draft. I just like his sort of player, I guess. At this stage I don't think he would be our first choice purely as a mid, but he brings more to the table, if we want that. I would be interested to know what his defensive running is like though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fogarty is the ballsy pick of all of them IMO.. could be the best player of the draft i reckon, could also be a total bust. I'd be tempted to do it.. but i also like brayshaw or if one of the consensus top 4 mids us still there then happy to take them. Gah.. i change from day to day.

That's fair enough, but other people who also go through more than just the nab highlights still rate him highly. He is tough, versatile, good size,is a good mark, tackles well, is a very good kick, has a good side-step, a good don't argue,;likes to take the game on, weaves through congestion and makes good decisions.+ more that I probably forgot to mention. I don't think his poor champs and the fact he can't test is going to help his cause though. It makes him more of a speculative pick unless you do what Lloyd did with Tucker and trust his form the year before the draft. I just like his sort of player, I guess. At this stage I don't think he would be our first choice purely as a mid, but he brings more to the table, if we want that. I would be interested to know what his defensive running is like though.
thanks for that, i was hoping to hear some of his good points from someone else's perspective. He does remind me of Mark Riciutto. It's just that at the minute he's not quite what were looking for. It is a pity as you say he cannot test, and no doubt his knee affected his mobility in the champs so he may well have been "in there a lot more". I know Chris has watched him a lot and rates him very highly.

With our academy we have Jason Carter next year who is a hbf/winger and Liam Henry the following year.

wayToGo_ Tundrawolf either of you guys know what position Henry plays at the moment? His frame would suggest perhaps a more outside focused role at least to start off with. Mind you at 16 he's already almost Dangerfields height.

If our academy can provide is with a continual supply of outside speed and class then maybe our picks in the main draft should be focussed more on the inside beasts and KPP players.
I think he's more a balanced mid that plays mostly on the inside but is classy enough to play around the ground. He's so young still so hard to assess fully but I could see him being a bit Petrevski-Seton like. So we might play him forward or on the outside until he builds his body and then push him into the middle. At the moment I'd have him as the best indigenous player for his draft year, and worthy of a first round pick. A lot of AFL coaches know who he is already. Apparently Hinkley was gobsmacked after watching him play. Have heard others saying he can try to do too much but I don't think that's a bad thing personally.

Also, don't get him confused with an older/former player with the same name (played some WAFL colts a few years back I think).

Just for what it's worth, this is what Grundog49 said about him back in Dec...

Darcy Fogarty
Glenelg/South Australia
Inside Midfielder/Key Forward
Height: 190 cm Weight: 86 kg D.O.B: 25/9/99

Powerful is a word that comes to mind when thinking of Darcy Fogarty. Darcy has been a standout at every level this year and has shown off his versatility for both the SANFL u18’s and the South Australian u18’s. As a key forward Darcy Fogarty provides an extremely strong marking target and then can go into the midfield and provide some explosiveness in an instant. This ability to go into the midfield as well as play as a key forward reminds me of a young Jake Stringer as his power and marking prowess allowed him to roam up the ground as well as play deep. Fogarty is one who might make a case for the number one pick and one who is definitely in the mix at the moment.

Just for what it's worth, this is what Grundog49 said about him back in Dec...

Darcy Fogarty
Glenelg/South Australia
Inside Midfielder/Key Forward
Height: 190 cm Weight: 86 kg D.O.B: 25/9/99

Powerful is a word that comes to mind when thinking of Darcy Fogarty. Darcy has been a standout at every level this year and has shown off his versatility for both the SANFL u18’s and the South Australian u18’s. As a key forward Darcy Fogarty provides an extremely strong marking target and then can go into the midfield and provide some explosiveness in an instant. This ability to go into the midfield as well as play as a key forward reminds me of a young Jake Stringer as his power and marking prowess allowed him to roam up the ground as well as play deep. Fogarty is one who might make a case for the number one pick and one who is definitely in the mix at the moment.

I can't see him as a key forward at AFL level so where does he fit... lead up forward, or inside mid ie Pav at his peak.... that's the query, burst in the midfield maybe! But what does he do the rest of the time... does he provide pressure in the forward half, or only run one way.... so many things he was unable to clarify this year. Big ? I'd say...

I can't see him as a key forward at AFL level so where does he fit... lead up forward, or inside mid ie Pav at his peak.... that's the query, burst in the midfield maybe! But what does he do the rest of the time... does he provide pressure in the forward half, or only run one way.... so many things he was unable to clarify this year. Big ? I'd say...

Agree but sounds like a tougher and more versatile version of Darling.

Agree but sounds like a tougher and more versatile version of Darling.

Darling does provide forward pressure, Fogarty averages about 2 per game. He himself indicated speed is not one of his strong point.

Not sure Darling is a good comparison...

His body shape and running style does remind me of Wayne Carey... Carey was only 192cm

My thought process is obviously evolving! Or getting more convoluted one of the 2.

Last edited:
If Fogarty is there by our pick I'd be happy to take him - as much as I want one of Higgins or Brayshaw. I remember Chris (I think on DFog) mentioning somewhere that he was sort of like Pavlich in which if there's a problem somewhere, you can just chuck him there - which is what appealed to me. That's what we need more of.

If Fogarty is there by our pick I'd be happy to take him - as much as I want one of Higgins or Brayshaw. I remember Chris (I think on DFog) mentioning somewhere that he was sort of like Pavlich in which if there's a problem somewhere, you can just chuck him there - which is what appealed to me. That's what we need more of.

He certainly has the huge thighs which means he is very hard to push off the ball, or out of a marking contest. I get the Pav comparison. But sets the bells ringing when you mention Pav like traits and Carey like traits, but they are there!

Darling does provide forward pressure, Fogarty averages about 2 per game. He himself indicated speed is not one of his strong point.

Not sure Darling is a good comparison...

His body shape and running style does remind me of Wayne Carey... Carey was only 192cm

My thought process is obviously evolving! Or getting more convoluted one of the 2.
Yeah there weren't too many 2 metre tall full backs in Carey's day. You have to scale heights up to account for the average competition heights at the time. SOS was 1994, Ash Macintosh 192 etc. etc. Fogarty is never going to be a genuine key unless he either grows 3 cm+

Remove this Banner Ad

Live Event 2017 AFL Draft - #2, #5, #42, #60, #66, #70, #77, #80, #90

Back