Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Noah Balta

• Aiden Bonar

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I think Naughtons lack of a catchy nickname is really hurting his draft prospects .... I was thinking DREADNAUGHT but that is unfortunately longer than his real name . Then I was thinking MESSIAH as in the old Monty Python joke - he's just a NAUGHTy boy but that could be a bit too much name to carry

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

How the afl website sees it

Fremantle's pair of early picks means the club could look to bolster its midfield with pick two – Luke Davies-Uniacke, Andrew Brayshaw and Paddy Dow will all be considered – and then go for the local Naughton at pick five.

what would they do withoiut Freo Big Footy:(

I think Naughtons lack of a catchy nickname is really hurting his draft prospects .... I was thinking DREADNAUGHT but that is unfortunately longer than his real name . Then I was thinking MESSIAH as in the old Monty Python joke - he's just a NAUGHTy boy but that could be a bit too much name to carry

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app
"The Nullifier" - Naughts.

Cordin’ to Hagdorn, the Pies are taking Naughton at pick 6 which means that if we want him, we have get him at pick 5.

Did you like how Hagdorn basically came from the angle that Freo were in the desperate, unenviable decision of picking Naughton up or not - as if having #2 and #5 was a disaster of the highest order.

People say they like big butts but he still gets picked last.

It might be us having so many late picks but I actually like a lot of the smokeys. Think there are just under 60 players not classified as smokeys but I can see a few of the smokeys going quite early. Most get taken during the breaks I've heard.

How about this question: If Naughton weren't from WA, would he rate so highly in Freo's estimation? We're pretty stocked with defenders. Plus, with all the love Naughton has for Collingwood -- himself and his family members, guess which club he'll nominate to be traded to after a potential Free contract expires?

People say they like big butts but he still gets picked last.

It might be us having so many late picks but I actually like a lot of the smokeys. Think there are just under 60 players not classified as smokeys but I can see a few of the smokeys going quite early. Most get taken during the breaks I've heard.
To be fair you need your butt to shit out ;). Maybe some prefer to use their mouth to do that .

Of interest maybe....1995 to 2013 incl of drafted key forwards (what pick they were). There are obviously more and maybe missed a few. Tried to get those with a number games and threw in a few others too. Knighmare did suggest there has been a trend away from an early pick for a forward.

GehrigF ………………. P16/1995

Lucas S ………………….. P4/1994

Holland B …………….. P19/1994

Fewster B ………………… P3/1995

Hall B ………………. P19/1995

Mooney C ………………. P56/1996

Ottens B …………………….P2/1996

Croad T ………………….P3/1996

Tarrant C ……………………….P8/1996

Goodes A ………………….P43/1997

Thompson N ……………………P82/1997

Langmuir J ………………….P2/1998

Pavlich M …………………….P4/1999

Brown J …………………..P30/1999 F/S

Riewoldt N ………………P1/2000

Koshizke J ……………P2/2000

Polak G …………..P4/2001

Cloke C …………. P43/2002

Bradley K …………….. P6/2003

Franklin L ……………….P 5/2004

Roughead J…………………PP2/2004

Kennedy WCE …………………. P4/2005

Gumbleton S ……………… P2/2006

Riewoldt J……………p13/2006

Hawkins T…….P41/2006

Grant J ………………….P5 /2007

Taylor H ……………………P17/2007

Thompson S ……………….P37/2007

Hooker C …………….P57/2007

Watts J ……………….P1/2008

Carlisle J………………. P24/2009

Gunston J ……………….P29/2009

Reid S ………………….P39/2009

Day S ………………..P3/2010

Lynch T ………………….P11/2010

Darling J………………. P26/2010

Paton J ………………P1/2011

Stringer J ……………………..P5/2012

Daniher J ………………. P10/2012 (Ruck Forward)

Wood M………………… P41/2012

Boyd T………………..P1/2013

Bontempelli M……………P4/2013 (fwdMid)

McCarthy C …………….P14/2013

Lobb R …………………….P29/2013
edit: Ben Brown........P43/2017

* My reading of it re KPF's is - They don't come along often and can come from anywhere when they do come.

Bit of trivia;
Brent Harvey - the day North Melbourne got three 1st round players for the price of one - Pick 46 1995 432 games
Interesting to compare key forwards with the amount of All Australian midfielders taken in the top 10 of the draft (Judd, Dusty, Bont etc). Seems to be more likelihood of getting midfielders right on draft night...

On SM-N920I using BigFooty.com mobile app

In case anyone was wondering who the 105+kg country victorian ruckman that no one has heard about we will be taking in the draft this year is, it's Lloyd Meek.

Edit: at 3:06 in his highlights video on draft machine he kills some kid by landing on him
I copy this summary from afldraftcentral.com

SUMMARY:

Lloyd Meek is one of the more likely 19 year-olds to be picked up in this year’s drafts. He has gone from a pigeonholed ruckman with just a big frame, to a player who can provide a presence around the ground. His disposal numbers, marks and hitouts are up in 2017, and he just needs to work on his finishing ability. While his mobility and speed will always be a factor in team selection, Meek does add a point of difference with quick hands at ground level, making him a more attractive prospect than that of a traditional big-bodied ruckman. Rucks of his size are almost always rookied, but with the emergence of Sean Darcy this season after the big Geelong Falcon was taken in the third round last year, Meek could sneak into a club craving a more ready-made ruck replacement.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In case anyone was wondering who the 105+kg country victorian ruckman that no one has heard about we will be taking in the draft this year is, it's Lloyd Meek.

Edit: at 3:06 in his highlights video on draft machine he kills some kid by landing on him
There's a lot to like there. Shows some evasiveness for a big fella and seems to know how to kick goals. Looks like he'd hold his own upfront in the mould of a Hale.

What pick is he estimated to go at?

In the entire history of Fremantle, I can't remember drafting a key forward anywhere near the front of the draft outside of Pavlich and Apeness. It's hardly an obsession. I'd called it willful neglectfulness.
Every year we are a linked to some other teams key forward this year the Hogan thing raised it's head , Before it was Cloke , Then Reiwold , Then Buddy then whoever , Tabener was drafted as a forward , Kersten , Mcarthy all players bought in to help our ailing forward line , I am no expert but i don't see the next Buddy in this draft, So to bring in a promising forward with 5 who will probably be no better than McCarthy or Kersten would be willful neglectfulness

Every year we are a linked to some other teams key forward this year the Hogan thing raised it's head , Before it was Cloke , Then Reiwold , Then Buddy then whoever , Tabener was drafted as a forward , Kersten , Mcarthy all players bought in to help our ailing forward line , I am no expert but i don't see the next Buddy in this draft, So to bring in a promising forward with 5 who will probably be no better than McCarthy or Kersten would be willful neglectfulness

In our desperation for a Pav replacement some want us to draft anyone who is over 6 ft

This year is a fantastic opportunity to draft a couple of solid top ten mids who can damage the scoreboard,

We get this draft right and pick up a gun next year then we are set going forward

I've just watched some of the updated highlight packages through the Draft Machine site. Started with the WA Boys, gotta say, Naughton looked very handy in Peel colours. He was marking over the top of Sam Collins (poor Sam, must have known he was in trouble...).
Oscar Allen still looks like the best tall forward option. His reach is way higher than someone his size. Given the amount of clubs in the top 10 picks that need a new forward (Pies, Blues and yes, even us) I don't think I'll be surprised if he goes top 10-12 (smart kid too).
Main take out from the videos is still Liam Ryan. He is a star. I know we've got a checkered history with troubled kids, but I don't want the Eagles having that weaponry. We MUST take him

I'm a bit over this 'he's no good at 5, maybe later in the draft' stuff. That works if there's other 195cm forwards in the draft you would prefer, but there's not, and I guarentee he won't be there at 41.

It really comes down to the question: Do you want to fix the forward line or not?

I just think a 195cm Key Forward would be high on the agenda... or, you know, we could just keep playing Taberner and hoping he can play more that 2 good games in a row and keep the hogan crap for another 12 months hoping one will fall in our lap OR we can blinkin' well draft one (or a couple!)

Unless there's been some change in the rules - if you want a key forward (who's any good) you need to draft one... early.

Having said all that, and to completely contradict myself, I'd still favour Fogarty.

Footy's a funny game.
Brander may be good enough one day (I seriously don't know) but his form simply doesn't warrant the risk at pick 5. Us being desperate doesn't make him better than he his.

Bless you, Kenny! How many years have I been saying the SAME, EXACT, THING about playing Fyfe forward, for the SAME, EXACT reasons you're saying. Thanks for making me feel like I'm not alone in the wilderness and entirely nuts in having that opinion! :thumbsu:
https://gph.is/2aItcco
Fyfe looks great resting forward because he creates mismatches (especially with midfielders). A LOT of his f50 marks are floating in from the side. He won't get either luxury stationed permanently there. Will get the best defender and will be forced to wrestle and lose his jump a lot of the time.

His current ~ 70% midfield and resting forward 30% IMO. That is when he looks the most dangerous in both areas. Still perfectly capable of 30 possessions and 1.5-2 gpg in that role (in a good team not so much in our current one).

I've just watched some of the updated highlight packages through the Draft Machine site. Started with the WA Boys, gotta say, Naughton looked very handy in Peel colours. He was marking over the top of Sam Collins (poor Sam, must have known he was in trouble...).
Oscar Allen still looks like the best tall forward option. His reach is way higher than someone his size. Given the amount of clubs in the top 10 picks that need a new forward (Pies, Blues and yes, even us) I don't think I'll be surprised if he goes top 10-12 (smart kid too).
Main take out from the videos is still Liam Ryan. He is a star. I know we've got a checkered history with troubled kids, but I don't want the Eagles having that weaponry. We MUST take him

If WC take Liam Ryan we'll just bring in Nyhuis for the Derby. :p

In our desperation for a Pav replacement some want us to draft anyone who is over 6 ft

This year is a fantastic opportunity to draft a couple of solid top ten mids who can damage the scoreboard,

We get this draft right and pick up a gun next year then we are set going forward

Always enjoyed the 6ft footballer of yesteryear. Today yesteryears ruckman are our todays ruck/rover.

How many mids are there in the draft under 6ft?

Excuse the pun......People are being buried deeper these days!

There's a lot to like there. Shows some evasiveness for a big fella and seems to know how to kick goals. Looks like he'd hold his own upfront in the mould of a Hale.

What pick is he estimated to go at?
I don' think he' been spoken about at all on the draft board so maybe rookie?

He'll be crumbing at the feet of JK, Darling and potentially McGovern or Nic Nat. Eagles need a small forward and he'll make their forwardline even more potent. Would rather have him playing for us...

Liam Ryan is a forward who is small more than a small forward in the AFL sense of the term.

In the entire history of Fremantle, I can't remember drafting a key forward anywhere near the front of the draft outside of Pavlich and Apeness. It's hardly an obsession. I'd called it willful neglectfulness.

Graham polak, Ryan Murphy, Marcus drum, just off the top of my head. If you go earlier Jeff white, Justin longmuir and can't remember how tall Waterhouse was. Plus add in griffin Logue

Remove this Banner Ad

Live Event 2017 AFL Draft - #2, #5, #42, #60, #66, #70, #77, #80, #90

Back