O'Rourke Mitchell Smith

McEvoy, Omeara, Hodge (Stewart)

Poppy (Sicily) Gunston Vickery
Cyril Rough Bruest

Burgers (Howe), Burton, WX, Shiels

This is my 22 with blokes trying take others blokes' roles

No immediate Sicily or Hartung. Eek. But oh well

Burton can play where he wants goddamnit

Just step back and take a real good look at that bench. Wow! What depth!

Instead of guessing our best 22, I have just listed our players who have left, or will be leaving soon.

OUT: Mitch, Lewis, Gibbo., Hodge, and Burgers need to have replacements now, or at least to get some exposure.

IN: JOM, Mitch, Burton, Howe, Heatherley, Lovell and Stewart could be the ones to do the jobs.

My main worry for the immediate future is replacing Cegs, who I felt was nearly ready to break into the top echelon of ruckmen in the comp. I believe 2017 will be getting the best TEAM playing together, and watch us go in 2018.

Instead of guessing our best 22, I have just listed our players who have left, or will be leaving soon.

OUT: Mitch, Lewis, Gibbo., Hodge, and Burgers need to have replacements now, or at least to get some exposure.

IN: JOM, Mitch, Burton, Howe, Heatherley, Lovell and Stewart could be the ones to do the jobs.

My main worry for the immediate future is replacing Cegs, who I felt was nearly ready to break into the top echelon of ruckmen in the comp. I believe 2017 will be getting the best TEAM playing together, and watch us go in 2018.
Yeah - I feel that 2018 is the year we are looking at.

I think Poppy is not far away too. Might get offered something more long term from another club at the end of 2017 much like Lewis was.

I'd add Pitto too who is the most likely ruck we have had for a while

Last edited:
Yeah - I feel that 2018 is the year we are looking at.

I think Poppy is not far away too. Might get offered something more long term from another club at the end of 2017 much like Lewis was.

I'd add Pitto too who is the most likely ruck we have had for a while

I agree about Pitto., should have mentioned Brand, (who I have great expectations for) Lovell and Stewart, both of whom should get game time in2017. With Nash and Glass coming through in 2018, and Langford the third due, looking at the big picture is very exciting.

Now I don't expect all these boys to make it, but I believe there will be enough A1, and A grade players among them to give us an extended stay at the top.

We delisted Fitzpatrick. To me that is Clarko saying Pittonet is very very close.

More long term replacements

Stratton(Nash) Frawley Duryea
Gibson (Heatherly) Brand Birchall (Glass)

O'Rourke Mitchell Smith

McEvoy, Omeara, Hodge (Stewart/Lovell/FYFE!)

Poppy (Sicily) Gunston Vickery
Cyril Rough Bruest

Burgers (Howe), Burton, WX, Shiels

(Log in to remove this ad.)

28 in March.

You missed the bit about long term but

Age-wise who else would young Nash kick out anyways?

Everyone else you put a replacement next to is in their last or best case second last automatic best 22 season.

Perhaps we should see how he develops before assuming he 'kicks' someone out. Let alone the most underrated player in the AFL.

Everyone else you put a replacement next to is in their last or best case second last automatic best 22 season.

Perhaps we should see how he develops before assuming he 'kicks' someone out. Let alone the most underrated player in the AFL.
I love Strats. No offence to him at all.

This is meant to be a best 22 for 2017 so I have probably derailed this thread a bit.

sw

Good summation regarding our games style compared the the Dogs. Clarkson mentioned after the loss to the dogs that the game style will need to be tweaked. He was specifically referencing the need to win the contested ball. Previously we haven't had as many numbers around the ball, happy to set up and win it back from the oppositions clearance.

Clarkson is the best in the business, I don't see him copying the premiers game style, but he would also be acutely aware both the Giants and Dogs got hold of us last year and really exposed areas of weakness. They beat our zone. Badly.

I was certainly not condemning any of our players. Indeed, Duryea and Stratton both bring great assets to the side. I had hoped Duryea would have progressed to a more attacking defender last season.

Irrespective of the game style we implement next season and beyond, Burgoyne and Gibson are going to have to be replaced either in 2018 or 2019. Presently, the options we have on our list cannot replicate their ball use if we maintain the retention style you kindly put in capitals. If indeed we do try and emulate a run and gun style from the back half, we really have no one bar Burgoyne suited to that.

So either way you look at it, looking to the future 2018 and beyond we really need to bring some more talent through that area of the ground. Forward and Midfield looks well placed for an assault on a premiership, please don't continually reference 'championship' it's not NBA, but the backline will need an elite offensive player IMO.

Hmmm, two ex assistant coaches......

(mind you there are lots of them)

I've no doubt this has been an advantage to these teams recently, combined with our lack of pace & other issues, & as you say some tweaking is required!

sw

Good summation regarding our games style compared the the Dogs. Clarkson mentioned after the loss to the dogs that the game style will need to be tweaked. He was specifically referencing the need to win the contested ball. Previously we haven't had as many numbers around the ball, happy to set up and win it back from the oppositions clearance.

Clarkson is the best in the business, I don't see him copying the premiers game style, but he would also be acutely aware both the Giants and Dogs got hold of us last year and really exposed areas of weakness. They beat our zone. Badly.

I was certainly not condemning any of our players. Indeed, Duryea and Stratton both bring great assets to the side. I had hoped Duryea would have progressed to a more attacking defender last season.

Irrespective of the game style we implement next season and beyond, Burgoyne and Gibson are going to have to be replaced either in 2018 or 2019. Presently, the options we have on our list cannot replicate their ball use if we maintain the retention style you kindly put in capitals. If indeed we do try and emulate a run and gun style from the back half, we really have no one bar Burgoyne suited to that.

So either way you look at it, looking to the future 2018 and beyond we really need to bring some more talent through that area of the ground. Forward and Midfield looks well placed for an assault on a premiership, please don't continually reference 'championship' it's not NBA, but the backline will need an elite offensive player IMO.
I have major Johannisen envy and feel that we need some class back there too. Also agree that Clarko has likely been thinking long and hard about a game style change after that Bulldogs loss. We have not been scared of making major changes clearly so far with Sammy and Lewis out. I'm actually quite excited to see what Clarko does. He is a such a competitive prick - I bet his mind is going a million miles an hour these days.

Heatherley will be best 22 next year, calling it now. Really like his game, he is aggressive, attacks the contest and reads the flight well. Another preseason under his belt and he'll be ready.

Don't see it.

Brand surely gets the gig before him. Throw in Frawley, Stratts, Gibb and Birch you have five permanent defenders.

Duryea surely becomes the sixth and then with Burgers and Hodge rotating you have your full complement for match days bar injury.

Expect Kiwi will get game time though to aid his development.

Don't see it.

Brand surely gets the gig before him. Throw in Frawley, Stratts, Gibb and Birch you have five permanent defenders.

Duryea surely becomes the sixth and then with Burgers and Hodge rotating you have your full complement for match days bar injury.

Seems to be a Gibbo replacement. Heatherly playing in the 22 likely means Gibbo out which is a hard task!!

Have seen a few best 22's without Burton in them and I know it's just opinions but how could anyone possibly leave him out?

Its quite clear he is extremely highly rated having come into a top 4 team late in the year and more then holding his own along with being picked for the 1st final and performing at a very high level before succumbing to that injury.

He is an absolute lock for the 22.

If I see another 22 without him I will do a Terry Wallace. (Spew up for those who don't know the reference).

Don't see it.

Definitely our Gibbo replacement and I can see someone like Birchall spending time on the wing more to allow us to get game time into him. We'd want at least 15 games under his belt before Gibbo hangs up the boots.

Ha
Have seen a few best 22's without Burton in them and I know it's just opinions but how could anyone possibly leave him out?

Its quite clear he is extremely highly rated having come into a top 4 team late in the year and more then holding his own along with being picked for the 1st final and performing at a very high level before succumbing to that injury.

He is an absolute lock for the 22.

If I see another 22 without him I will do a Terry Wallace. (Spew up for those who don't know the reference).
hahaha agree totally!! Showed massive faith in this kid last year he is a dead set lock for 22 games next year

Remove this Banner Ad

2017 Best 22

Remove this Banner Ad

Back