2017 General Discussion / Help

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This time of the year things get busy, and threads pop up left, right and centre. Unless you're a diehard BigFooty regular with no life (did I just offend half the board?), it's impossible for people who only visit BigFooty once or twice a week to keep up.

I've made an effort in the past couple of years to try and shut down new threads that pop up in the two months prior to the season starting unless they are directly related to team development.

As such, and in keeping with policy over the last few years, I've locked any thread that is unrelated to team development so that we can try and contain discussion and make it easier for all involved to find what they are looking for and keep up with discussions.

A reminder that anyone looking for numbers to fill a league should post here: https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/unofficial-member-organised-sc-leagues-2017.1156974/

This thread can be used for general questions / discussions / help on any topic that is unrelated to team development or player discussion.

Would be cool if AFL did a women's SC comp... keep us SC-addicts happy during PS rather than making 7,000 changes to our teams

I missed most of it while I was at work, partially due to working and partially due to watching dudez belt each other on the TV next to it.
From what I saw I they would need a lot of post game scaling to get to the 3300 poonts...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would be cool if AFL did a women's SC comp... keep us SC-addicts happy during PS rather than making 7,000 changes to our teams

There is a womens afl fantasy comp

The Vescio girl for Carlton had a pretty good game.
4 goals 1, 13 touches, 2 marks 2 tackles... 191 SC points :drunk:

Only way a girls SC comp would work would be using Dream Teams set up, the scaling for 3300 points in SC is actually atrocious.

Only way a girls SC comp would work would be using Dream Teams set up, the scaling for 3300 points in SC is actually atrocious.
Leave my future wife alone.

I'm interested in hearing from people which players you think are going to score higher than they did in 2016 and why.

I'm sure I'm not unique in that I'm putting together my team based only on players who should score more points this year than they did last year. I'm not really interested in players like Dangerfield because although he averaged 131.8 in 2016 I can't really make an argument for him greatly exceeding this in 2017. So his price of $716,900 (or $5439 per average point) is about right and isn't likely to go up much.

Whereas Marc Murphy averaged 79.5 last season, dragged down by a couple of uncharacteristically low scores due to injury. If he returns to his pre-injury form he should get his average back up to 100+ so although he's well short of Dangerfield it's easy to see his value increasing.

So who else do people think will score better than they did last year and why? Who else was hampered by injury in 2016 but should cut sick this season? Who is being groomed to play in a new position this year where they should increase their touches? Who's moved to a new club and should play more game time and get more touches? Which players greatly exceeded their season average in the last few games in 2016? Perhaps most importantly, which elite players only played half a game or less last year so their average was nowhere near what they are capable of.

Like I said I know I'm not saying anything new here, yet when I see the teams people have put together the vast majority of them have all the top scorers from last year. This makes zero sense to me.

Besides the 4 goals, even I have had a game like that and the day H2TYW tonnes up is the day SC implodes.

I'm interested in hearing from people which players you think are going to score higher than they did in 2016 and why.

Everyone will have opinions on who is this years bargain buy but this game isn't about doing what others tell you is best but analysing and deciding what you think will work. Back your gut decision.

I'm sure I'm not unique in that I'm putting together my team based only on players who should score more points this year than they did last year. I'm not really interested in players like Dangerfield because although he averaged 131.8 in 2016 I can't really make an argument for him greatly exceeding this in 2017. So his price of $716,900 (or $5439 per average point) is about right and isn't likely to go up much.

Whereas Marc Murphy averaged 79.5 last season, dragged down by a couple of uncharacteristically low scores due to injury. If he returns to his pre-injury form he should get his average back up to 100+ so although he's well short of Dangerfield it's easy to see his value increasing.

It would be unique to only pick fallen premos and players returning from injury. It's super risky in the fact that you are relying on guys coming back into form, moving back to a high scoring role or stepping their game up to that next level bringing their Supercoach scores along with them.

Guys like Dangerfield although priced at their max output are required as they will likely score just as well having proven themselves as top scores in their current role and club the year before.
They have the highest ceilings meaning they can go nuts and smash out a 200+ score and that makes them great captain options. If you want to do well at this game having the highest scoring players is a must.
Picking up guys who will improve on their scores from last year is one thing but picking the players who will be the highest scorers for their positions is the key to success regardless of their scoring history or starting price.

So who else do people think will score better than they did last year and why? Who else was hampered by injury in 2016 but should cut sick this season? Who is being groomed to play in a new position this year where they should increase their touches? Who's moved to a new club and should play more game time and get more touches? Which players greatly exceeded their season average in the last few games in 2016? Perhaps most importantly, which elite players only played half a game or less last year so their average was nowhere near what they are capable of.

Like I said I know I'm not saying anything new here, yet when I see the teams people have put together the vast majority of them have all the top scorers from last year. This makes zero sense to me.

Well first of all you've answered your own question.

Players that will score more this year then last are guys who have swapped teams or come back from injury but this is never a guarantee of better scores.
Now it's not that a guy coming back from injury scores more than his last full season it's that he scores more than his new injury discounted price.
So guys like Beams, JOM, Swallow, Marc Murphy and Bob Murphy, Fyfe, Sheed, Myers are all injury discounted players.
Guys like T.Mitchell, Barlow, Hrovat, S.Mitchell, Witts, Thurlow, Caddy, Prestia, Lids etc have all changed clubs and most likely roles.

Why do I think these guys will score more? Well the injured players should all go back to a scoring average a few points off their norm but with the discounted prices they will score more by average than whey you paid for them. BUT scoring more than you paid for them doesn't mean shit if you had to burn a trade to replace them after they averaged 130 but for only 5 games.
In your starting team you want guys who will not cost you a trade but will score your team the highest amount of overall points for the year. What they average is irrelevant if as a group/team they score more than someone else's team from the start of round 1 to the end of round 23.

As for elite players who are priced below their normal average, these fallen premos are like gold and it's very subjective to who these guys are. They are often the same guys who have had injury interrupted seasons last year.
There's no reason that Dangerfield can't score more but the true fallen premos are also traps in the same way an injury discounted player or one who has changed clubs can be.
Motlop and the Murphy pair are all fallen premos. They are at the same club, they'll mostly play the same roles but they are cheap due to injury or in Motlops case being a lazy fat prick.
Whether or not you want to put your trust or money and possible future trades on these guys is your decision and yours alone.
Read up on players, look at last years numbers, ask questions, try to predict the future, fry your brain with the rest of us, then as you select your team ask yourself why each player is worthy of being in your starting side and why and if it doesn't make sense to you why you would start with a Dangerfield type I promise by the end of the season it will.

Last year, I think I read that having a Foxtel / FoxFooty subscription gives you access to LiveHQ (live SC scores)
Can anybody confirm whether this was true? My folks have Foxtel.

I'm happy to buy SC Gold for $20
I get AFL Live for free with my Telstra mobile plan
I wouldn't mind reading the HS footy articles and having access to LiveHQ for free :)

Last year, I think I read that having a Foxtel / FoxFooty subscription gives you access to LiveHQ (live SC scores)

I wouldn't mind reading the HS footy articles and having access to LiveHQ for free :)

I remember reading about it but never actually did it myself, the lives scores would be nice for when fanfooty shits the bed.

Correct I've had it for the last 4 years.

Besides the 4 goals, even I have had a game like that and the day H2TYW tonnes up is the day SC implodes.

Give me a call when you've kicked 1goal 9 in a final and lose by 3 points

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back