Mega Thread 2017 Media Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just heard on the radio that the players are not allowed to acknowledge the supporters before the game and this incident occurred during the pre-game warm up.

But the club will do the right thing by the young kid if he calls them.

The media seems to have forgotten about when the Eagles snubbed the kids handing out the medals back in 2006.

Just heard on the radio that the players are not allowed to acknowledge the supporters before the game and this incident occurred during the pre-game warm up.
It was certainly before the game as I said yesterday but what possible reason can there be for not allowing players to acknowledge supporters before the game.

Everyone knows that if you were having an actual game of football Fyfe would be in the first 6 players chosen from any club.

Surely this is the common sense approach. And given he played 21 games at the level he did, the whole thing defies logic. Should be ahead of Selwood, Kennedy (Syd), Zorko and perhaps even Sloane (whose highs were very high but who also capitulated to taggers all too frequently).

Surely this is the common sense approach. And given he played 21 games at the level he did, the whole thing defies logic. Should be ahead of Selwood, Kennedy (Syd), Zorko and perhaps even Sloane (whose highs were very high but who also capitulated to taggers all too frequently).
Selwood being in the 40 joke. He is not even the 2nd best midfielder at Geelong. Duncan on form is better and by a fair way IMO.

Don't agree that Fyfe is ahead of Zorko (even though he got completely tagged out of two games) or to a lesser extent Sloane. Similar I think is fair, but not better. Zorko kicked a lot of goals IIRC.

Fyfe and Neale didn't get in because they weren't good enough this season. For once the AFL got that bit right. Agree on Selwood, been average since Dangerfield arrived but still gets credit for being a gun.

Selwood being in the 40 joke. He is not even the 2nd best midfielder at Geelong. Duncan on form is better and by a fair way IMO.

Don't agree that Fyfe is ahead of Zorko (even though he got completely tagged out of two games) or to a lesser extent Sloane. Similar I think is fair, but not better. Zorko kicked a lot of goals IIRC.

Zorko has had a great year and absolutely deserves to be named in the AA squad. Fyfe is a better inside contested ball winner, but if you were looking for run then Zorko is a good pick. The AFL player ratings have Zorko ranked 7th (for 2017). If you ignore Ablett and Pendlebury (due to injuries) then Zorko is in the top5 mids for 2017. The problem is, 15 mids were picked ahead of Fyfe and I would comfortably pick Fyfe ahead of any of the following; Scully, Seb Ross, Zac Merrett, Tom Mitchell, M.Crouch, Treloar, Bontempelli, Josh Kelly, Shiel, Joel Selwood.

For the last 8 rounds of the season, Fyfe has averaged 20.5 AFL ratings points per game. The next best in the entire competition (for that period) is Dusty Martin with 19.4. In 3 of those 8 games, he scored the highest ratings points in the game. That is, Fyfe has steadily been building back towards his best form since his return from his 2016 broken leg.
If Fyfe was playing for Geelong or Richmond now, then I'm sure he would have been pencilled in as an obvious AA selection.
But to me, there seems to have been a negative narrative from the press and commentary aimed at Fyfe pretty much all year.
As a long time Freo supporter, I have got used to the unfounded external criticisms, but what does surprise me most is the current lack of voice and support by many Freo supporters.

but what does surprise me most is the current lack of voice and support by many Freo supporters.
This. Not just Freo, but WA football in general (eg: Bernie Naylor's continual HoF omission)

I bet if Hamling had stayed at the Dogs and had the exact same year he would have made the squad.

And Fyfe is a victim of his own success - the bar is raised so much higher for him to get nominated than for those he's competing with. For some, like Selwood, previous success get you a life pass, but if you play for Freo it gets used against you.

The constant RS and AA snubs this year really shows how little respect is paid towards Freo still. They begrudgingly acknowledge us when we're up the top of the ladder, but the minute we fall down we get put in the GC basket of irrelevancy, despite all the other teams around us on the ladder still receiving plenty of recognition.

It was certainly before the game as I said yesterday but what possible reason can there be for not allowing players to acknowledge supporters before the game.
If players are out early for a random pre-warmup warmup then they'll acknowledge the kids like this (if they see them that is). But for the structured full-team warm up (i.e. just before they get changed into their game jumpers) the AFL gets super strict and super structured on everything down to the second. So I wouldn't be surprised if it was an AFL directive. Plus you've got safety issues interacting with the crowd, and don't want the players freaking out & getting distracted pre-game.

I bet if Hamling had stayed at the Dogs and had the exact same year he would have made the squad.

And Fyfe is a victim of his own success - the bar is raised so much higher for him to get nominated than for those he's competing with. For some, like Selwood, previous success get you a life pass, but if you play for Freo it gets used against you.

The constant RS and AA snubs this year really shows how little respect is paid towards Freo still. They begrudgingly acknowledge us when we're up the top of the ladder, but the minute we fall down we get put in the GC basket of irrelevancy, despite all the other teams around us on the ladder still receiving plenty of recognition.
Hamling had such a criminally underrated year. I don't mind Fyfe not making it (and you know how absolutely biased I am about him), but he'll make AA plenty more times before the end of is career. It would be great if we did get favoured for once. Here in Vic, you'd think Fyfe had a one-hit-wonder season and then retired.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mum of young Dockers fan snubbed says her son will 'be Freo for life'
Fester's follow up with no mention of any AFL ruling re players acknowledging fans.
Not that he would, but it is a strange incident.I can understand the players with high levels of pre-game focus and concentration being 'zoned up' but for every single one of them to run right passed the kid is hard to figure.

Zorko has had a great year and absolutely deserves to be named in the AA squad. Fyfe is a better inside contested ball winner, but if you were looking for run then Zorko is a good pick. The AFL player ratings have Zorko ranked 7th (for 2017). If you ignore Ablett and Pendlebury (due to injuries) then Zorko is in the top5 mids for 2017. The problem is, 15 mids were picked ahead of Fyfe and I would comfortably pick Fyfe ahead of any of the following; Scully, Seb Ross, Zac Merrett, Tom Mitchell, M.Crouch, Treloar, Bontempelli, Josh Kelly, Shiel, Joel Selwood.

For the last 8 rounds of the season, Fyfe has averaged 20.5 AFL ratings points per game. The next best in the entire competition (for that period) is Dusty Martin with 19.4. In 3 of those 8 games, he scored the highest ratings points in the game. That is, Fyfe has steadily been building back towards his best form since his return from his 2016 broken leg.
If Fyfe was playing for Geelong or Richmond now, then I'm sure he would have been pencilled in as an obvious AA selection.
But to me, there seems to have been a negative narrative from the press and commentary aimed at Fyfe pretty much all year.
As a long time Freo supporter, I have got used to the unfounded external criticisms, but what does surprise me most is the current lack of voice and support by many Freo supporters.
Well you would pick a somewhat balanced team I think and Zorko is not competing with Fyfe.

If I am picking a team to play tomorrow then sure you take Fyfe over pretty much anyone (top 5 pick). That is not what the AA is. Whilst I think it is reasonable to argue he has had a better year than most midfielders, the obvious ones he surpassed won't make the 22 anyway (Selwood, Scully, Bont, Treloar).

I don't mind Kelly, Titch, Crouch and potentially Ross (though he tailed off bad) being ahead for the whole year's performance.

Injury free next year and assuming we actually win ~8-12 games then not only will Fyfe be AA, he will run the brownlow really close.

I reckon Pendlebury gets this too. Some players just have to have their name on the teamsheet (J.Selwood) while others have to do extraordinary things to get mentioned.

It was a soft comment but I didn't get upset.
It's a media thread,stuff in the media is discussed.
If you don't want to there's no need.

Last edited:
Fremantle Dockers captain Nat Fyfe wins third Geoff Christian Medal

Fremantle Dockers captain Nat Fyfe has won the 2017 Geoff Christian Medal joining Matthew Pavlich as the only players to have earned the honour three times.

Fyfe has previously received the award in 2013 and 2015 and is the only player to achieve multiple medals within the space of three years.

The Geoff Christian medal is awarded by ABC Perth for the best Fremantle Dockers or West Coast Eagles player in a season, with votes allocated each week on a 3-2-1 basis by the station's expert AFL commentators.

Fyfe won the medal with 24 votes ahead of teammate Lachie Neale (20) and West Coast’s Elliot Yeo (21) and Josh Kennedy (20).

He polled in 12 of the 22 season games and had 22 teammates receive votes throughout 2017.

After seven years with Fremantle; Fyfe’s season was highlighted by his captaincy appointment in February and a subsequent six-year contract extension in July.

The medal was established in recognition of Geoff Christian, a valued member of ABC Radio's Sports Talk program for a period of 14 years prior to his death in November 1998.

Christian served as chief football writer of The West Australian from 1961 to 1998 and was posthumously inducted into the AFL Hall of Fame.

Well you would pick a somewhat balanced team I think and Zorko is not competing with Fyfe.

If I am picking a team to play tomorrow then sure you take Fyfe over pretty much anyone (top 5 pick). .

Would definitely take Buddy, Dusty and Dangerfield before Fyfe on this year's form, but it gets more difficult after that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back