MRP / Trib. 2017 MRP/ Carlton Tribunal News & Reports

Remove this Banner Ad

Having Waleed as a character witness should have increased the penalty not reduced it!
I agree that aly shouldn't have been involved but why should the penalty be increased if he was a character witness? What has aly done wrong?

A disgrace but not surprising it has been open season on Carlton players for years. It's basically a free hit whenever you do something to us. You either get off completely or get a lighter sentence than you would if you hit someone from another club ******* sick of it no wonder we keep copping cheap shots. Club should say something they have a duty to protect our players

First off, that offence was a 4 week one if I have any judgement at all. 3 would've been lenient. Houli glanced back, and intentionally struck Lamb.
Second, let's leave the insane Muslim minority leniency conspiracy theories to the Stormfront website.
Third, if you are being sentenced in court for assault and get a glowing reference from a sitting PM, you will get your sentence reduced. Every. Single. Time.
So this was a 3-4 week ban reduced due to the highly impressive character refs. Hard to swallow? Yep. Understandable? Also yes.

What makes me worry is that sentences which are this lenient seriously undermine the deterrent factor of the penalty. It also might actually serve to encourage retaliation, if players think offenders aren't going to be punished adequately off the field. The unusual nature of a PM intervening might be enough to separate this case from others so as not to create a reasonable expectation of getting leniency, but then again, it may not.

In short - this sentence sucks badly. But given the character refs, it's not unexpected.

As I said earlier, hope we appeal the decision ... if we can.

Especially galling if they didn't take into account the impact on Lamb.

Our club needs to stand up for our players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

First off, that offence was a 4 week one if I have any judgement at all. 3 would've been lenient. Houli glanced back, and intentionally struck Lamb.
Second, let's leave the insane Muslim minority leniency conspiracy theories to the Stormfront website.
Third, if you are being sentenced in court for assault and get a glowing reference from a sitting PM, you will get your sentence reduced. Every. Single. Time.
So this was a 3-4 week ban reduced due to the highly impressive character refs. Hard to swallow? Yep. Understandable? Also yes.

What makes me worry is that sentences which are this lenient seriously undermine the deterrent factor of the penalty. It also might actually serve to encourage retaliation, if players think offenders aren't going to be punished adequately off the field. The unusual nature of a PM intervening might be enough to separate this case from others so as not to create a reasonable expectation of getting leniency, but then again, it may not.

In short - this sentence sucks badly. But given the character refs, it's not unexpected.
Utter tripe apart from the Muslim conspiracy part.

Character refs get it from 5 to 4 or 4 to 3 at best.

Hopefully the players take this on board. A team mate gets belted behind play, don't rely on the AFL to bring him to justice. Get the justice yourself.

Remove this Banner Ad

MRP / Trib. 2017 MRP/ Carlton Tribunal News & Reports

Remove this Banner Ad

Back