Training 2017 Preseason

Remove this Banner Ad

There was a pretty good comment made on the Lions FB page from the article of Rhys using those mask thingy's. Pretty much echo's what I was thinking when reading the comments here. But not being medical/science person, didn't want to comment.

Blayze Sherry Just throwing this out there........
There is little to NO evidence coming from and sports science study that shows altitude masks or restricted breathing equates to long term aerobic performance.

Also the lung is not a muscle you CANNOT! train it or make it stronger and breath more,

you may be applying resistance to the intercostal and diaphragm muscles but again these muscle are not the limiting factor in breathing, the problem is the carbon dioxide produced by exercise that the body has to clear and this takes the place that oxygen would have to be transported throughout the body.

This is for all the young guys that are being tricked by the fancy advertising, don't waist your time or money.
l remember seeing that as well. I am no science guru but what about holding breath under water and specific training techniques to allow you to hold you breath for longer periods. Wouldn't that be training your lungs?

There was a pretty good comment made on the Lions FB page from the article of Rhys using those mask thingy's. Pretty much echo's what I was thinking when reading the comments here. But not being medical/science person, didn't want to comment.

There is little to NO evidence coming from and sports science study that shows altitude masks or restricted breathing equates to long term aerobic performance.

Also the lung is not a muscle you CANNOT! train it or make it stronger and breath more,

you may be applying resistance to the intercostal and diaphragm muscles but again these muscle are not the limiting factor in breathing, the problem is the carbon dioxide produced by exercise that the body has to clear and this takes the place that oxygen would have to be transported throughout the body.

This is for all the young guys that are being tricked by the fancy advertising, don't waist your time or money.

I think this 2012 meta-analysis [PDF] offers a pretty good state of play
  • Some improvement
  • Improvement was greatest in people who weren't already reasonably fit
  • Improves some measures, not others
Pretty picture:
chrome_2016-11-01_08-12-59.png

Last edited:

I always thought it was about overcoming the mental aspect of performing strenous exercise under a high load.

No pure physiological benefit but in professional sport physiology isn't the only aspect that determines your performance

What that guy says is largely true. Without going into details, the current view is that altitude training isn't terribly effective unless it's in preparation to compete at altitude.

I get the feeling the original article just referred to it as altitude training to simplify it for the readers.

I think the biggest benefits from that kind of thing would be psychological, as in you feel amazing and like you can run like wind once it's off because you can breathe properly.

Beastmode looks ripping fit. Not to mention he wouldnt look out of place in the ring either.

Clearly his tank was his biggest achilles heel this year. Great to see him attack it hard.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just a huge fan of him committing to building his tank before the pre-season. Good on him, You' d think Fagan and co. will be impressed with that too.

the boys are back on monday, would love to get down there, no mention yet on whether it is an open session and what time and where it is. IIRC i went to last seasons very first session.

any insiders got some info?

lions.com

The off-season comes to an end for some of our players on Monday as the 1-4 year players return to the Club.

We will see first year players such as Keays, Hipwood, Schache and Mathieson return for their first full pre-season training regime as well as The Recruit winner Matty Eagles, who will join the club for his first pre-season.

1-4 years returning
Matty Eagles
Eric Hipwood
Ben Keays
Rhys Mathieson
Josh Schache
Sam Skinner
Reuben William
Harris Andrews
Josh Clayton
Liam Dawson
Matt Hammelmann
Cian Hanley
Tom Cutler
Jono Freeman
Darcy Gardiner
Dan McStay
Nicholas Robertson
Archie Smith
Lewis Taylor
Jarrad Jansen
Michael Close
Sam Mayes
Marco Paparone

lions.com

The off-season comes to an end for some of our players on Monday as the 1-4 year players return to the Club.

We will see first year players such as Keays, Hipwood, Schache and Mathieson return for their first full pre-season training regime as well as The Recruit winner Matty Eagles, who will join the club for his first pre-season.

1-4 years returning
Matty Eagles
Eric Hipwood
Ben Keays
Rhys Mathieson
Josh Schache
Sam Skinner
Reuben William
Harris Andrews
Josh Clayton
Liam Dawson
Matt Hammelmann
Cian Hanley
Tom Cutler
Jono Freeman
Darcy Gardiner
Dan McStay
Nicholas Robertson
Archie Smith
Lewis Taylor
Jarrad Jansen
Michael Close
Sam Mayes
Marco Paparone
I wonder if any of the academy boys will be joining them, could be a good indication of who we're going to take.

I wonder if any of the academy boys will be joining them, could be a good indication of who we're going to take.

Pretty sure they're not allowed too. Only non listed players allowed to are when the AIS AFL academy intake for next years draft are billeted out for a week to all of the teams.

i'm also expecting to see a fair few of the 5+ year guys down there as well, you want to make a good impression with the new boss, even if they only do 1 or 2 sessions a week till they are due back full time in a few weeks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Training 2017 Preseason

Remove this Banner Ad

Back