Votes: 48 10.4%
  • Brayden Fiorini(GC)

Votes: 22 4.8%
  • Wayne Milera(ADEL)

Votes: 20 4.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

To be fair Hawthorn play mostly in their back half and attack from there. Burton being one of the main people given that role.

Not saying that is a negative by the way. Burton is the deserved winner.

Half-back would be the second most prolific position, possessions wise, outside of a midfield role for sure....There's no arguing that point.

I mean....We all know that Hodgey has made a career out of being a half back chip scab, come spare loose man in defense.;)

Usually your clubs most highly skilled, best kick & play-maker in the open field, will command that role.....And Burton is certainly that.

I get that your love of Burton has reached unprecedented levels but he is not that in a team with Shaun Burgoyne in it, even with how old silk is now

Burgoyne is both inside & outside...Probably more the consumate all-rounder TBH....Hence the reason for him having spells in both the midfield & forward of center.

Burton actually has a longer kick on him than Silk.... As too Sicily....Both are better in the air also.

Burgoyne is both inside & outside...Probably more the consumate all-rounder TBH....Hence the reason for him having spells in both the midfield & forward of center.

Burton actually has a longer kick on him than Silk.... As too Sicily....Both are better in the air also.

Burgoyne is better than burton at every aspect at his best. Sicily is better in the air but far inferior on ground.

Silk is one if the best ever kf burton or sicily end uo close to 75% of silk you are laughing.

SPP is a contested ball freak. thats why he is ahead of mcgrath and burton imo. They are class but are not in the engine room. they st up play well but are much more outside

I think you missed McGraths last game, in the 3rd qtr he was put in the midfield and had 14 possessions in that qtr, he was everywhere at at that time Essendon were really struggling.
Inside/ outside doesn't matter with McGrath he has strength through the core and a burst of speed.
Watching the game again, McGraths 3rd qtr is as good a qtr of football as I've seen this year from a midfielder at Essendon.

Burgoyne is better than burton at every aspect at his best. Sicily is better in the air but far inferior on ground.

Silk is one if the best ever kf burton or sicily end up close to 75% of silk you are laughing.

Burgoyne is 34, going on 35.

By this time next season he'll be saying good-bye; While the rest of the competition will be proclaiming both Burton & Sicily, as the 2 premier young half-back flankers in the comp.....No youth indeed.;):cool:

By this time next season he'll be saying good-bye; While the rest of the competition will be proclaiming both Burton & Sicily, as the 2 premier young half-back flankers in the comp.....No youth indeed.;):cool:
Witherden is a better half back flanker than both of them. Had another 27 disposals yesterday, he is arguably one of the best kicks in the comp already. He could be a special player.

If he had played a full season he would be a shoe in for the RS.

Last edited:

Conor McKenna might have something to say about that

I just love love LOVE this conspiracy cooked up in the Hawthorn fever swamps that somehow, for some reason, Tim Watson is some kind of media enforcer that people must obey or... well... I don't really know what is supposed to happen. Does he kill their dog? Or organise a drive by shooting or something?

No, it would be much more fiendish than that. He'd adopt you, and advise you on your football career.

McGrath 21 at 91% with 3 marks.

RS or not, brilliant year son. Well done!

Didn't follow today's game. Did he play up the ground? Seemed to be less impactful than usual, based on lack of rebounding stats (1 tackle (EDIT: sorry 0 tackles, read wrong line in stats page), and hardly anything contested either, but that isn't unusual for his normal role, but usually provides some decent rebound, but didn't seem to be the case today).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Didn't follow today's game. Did he play up the ground? Seemed to be less impactful than usual, based on lack of rebounding stats (1 tackle (EDIT: sorry 0 tackles, read wrong line in stats page), and hardly anything contested either, but that isn't unusual for his normal role, but usually provides some decent rebound, but didn't seem to be the case today).
Played wing last few weeks

6 score involvements?

Fair enough. Makes me wonder if Harry Morrison might be an outside chance of a final round nomination in his first game. 21 touches, 8 score involvements,2 goal assists, 3 inside 50s, 6 marks. Nowhere near as efficient as McGrath though, but pretty impressive stats for a player in his first game with only 67% time-on-ground.

After what Lamb did to Sicily, if any coach deems Sicily a threat there's a pretty obvious course of action to take him completely out of a game...

This thread has a distinct lack of port posters engaging.

Sam Powell Pepper had a bigger impact on games than either of the others, but won't win it, because of a combination of having a poor end to the season and the media having their hands on their dicks.

There you go.

He's had a great first year. He's a bit like Callum Mills in a way. Essendon have a good one. I do like that Begley kid for next year's rising star.
Begs should have got a nod last week. Not sure how Ainsworth pipped him.
He's a good one.
We have a few coming through still.
Francis building his match fitness. Langford building his midfield game.
Mutch has impressive attack on the game.

Cant split Burton and McGrath this year.
will be interesting to see which way the judges go.

SPP still grabbing the silver for me, can't see the Melbourne media agreeing with me
Went to Hall at 1/4 after he had 8 touches and held him to 15 for the rest of the match.
Very happy to have him

SPP still grabbing the silver for me, can't see the Melbourne media agreeing with me
Went to Hall at 1/4 after he had 8 touches and held him to 15 for the rest of the match.
Very happy to have him

Probably hurt you more not having Hall turn the ball over every second disposal. Score from rebounds would have been down, you could have won by 150 :p

Remove this Banner Ad

2017 Rising Star Discussion

Back