Votes: 48 10.4%
  • Brayden Fiorini(GC)

Votes: 22 4.8%
  • Wayne Milera(ADEL)

Votes: 20 4.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

So will certain Essendon fans not melt if their bloke does not win it?

Or does it only apply to Hawthorn supporters?

No one melts like an Essendon supporter.

You only had to read some of the shit the "Free Jimmy Hird" brigade were spuking when they got caught systematically doping their own players.

Bit sick of some Essendon posters saying we will melt, but none of them will.

Whispy Watson will melt for 6 months if the bloke he is cheerleading about, does not win it.

Am I doing it right?
By and large we honestly don't care. There'll be no melting from me. Every club has supporters who get too emotionally invested in things and can't be rational but it's the ****in rising star, who cares? I'm genuinely more interested in watching McGrath become whatever he ends up becoming and our possibly impending finals series than if he gets this relatively nothing award. McGrath looks a jet, so does Curnow, Burton too, SPS as well. SPP has been impressive, I have doubts over his long term development potential given he's come in as a man child but he might be a long term gun.

I don't think Essendon supporters are as invested in the rising star award as the Hawks. We've already won a rising star award semi recently in Heppell plus last year we had a strong showing from Parish as well finishing top 5. In addition we can just hop on over to one of the many Daniher threads or Zac Merrett threads to make us feel better. Plus we are all pretty excited to likely be back in the finals again this year.

Hawks season will end this week and Burton is really the flagship of their young talent. What else do they have to look forward to? The draft - where everyone will mock the fact that they traded away their top pick already?

Everyone on the Talking Footy panel agreed, then the next morning the SEN boys agreed, and that evening AFL Tonight agreed.

Watson put the word out and the media fell in line.

Its interesting that since then Wayne Carey has said he thinks Burton deserves it. Maybe he doesnt like Old Man Timbo telling him what to do.
Fair enough, I don't watch those shows.

McGrath's efficiency with the ball has been really consistent this year, it's no surprise people are impressed with him given it's his first year.

That said, I couldn't care who it goes to. Whether it's Burton, McGrath, SPP or Curnow, they all played well to earn it.

FWIW - mid year I was convinced it was going to SPP. He was playing incredibly well for a first year.

So will certain Essendon fans not melt if their bloke does not win it?

Or does it only apply to Hawthorn supporters?

No one melts like an Essendon supporter.

You only had to read some of the shit the "Free Jimmy Hird" brigade were spuking when they got caught systematically doping their own players.

Bit sick of some Essendon posters saying we will melt, but none of them will.

Whispy Watson will melt for 6 months if the bloke he is cheerleading about, does not win it.

Am I doing it right?

Sure.

I won't be melting as You can see in the poat you quoted that I think Burton should win it.

The fact you have already started melting before the award has been named however is quite funny.

Fair enough, I don't watch those shows.

McGrath's efficiency with the ball has been really consistent this year, it's no surprise people are impressed with him given it's his first year.

That said, I couldn't care who it goes to. Whether it's Burton, McGrath, SPP or Curnow, they all played well to earn it.

FWIW - mid year I was convinced it was going to SPP. He was playing incredibly well for a first year.

I tend to wait until later in the year. In part because the ones voting tend to be incapable of judging a full season, but really, I think it should be judged on the full season.

The idea that keeping Eddie Betts quiet in one game is enough to make someone the red hot favourite was just dumb. Especially when McGrath shanked a kick terribly while kicking across goal and it was picked up by an Adelaide player and slotted through for a goal early in the 1st quarter. So you can hardly say he played the perfect game. When Hardwick played on Betts twice this year he kicked a goal on him each time. I doubt anyone considers Hardwick even a ridiculous outside chance to win.

As for efficiency, Burton has been incredible with the ball. Easily our best defender this year (which maybe isnt saying much given our 3 best defenders missed at least half the year through injury). He has played on key forwards. He has played spare man. He has played aggressively up the ground kicking a few goals. And he has no fear kicking it 50m to 60m to players in the open (which is one time where his metres gained stat means something).

I think it is down to Burton and McGrath. Curnow has had a brilliant second half of the year, as have a few other players. I think they will rate higher than the ones who had brilliant starts to the year such as SPP and SPS.

I tend to wait until later in the year. In part because the ones voting tend to be incapable of judging a full season, but really, I think it should be judged on the full season.

The idea that keeping Eddie Betts quiet in one game is enough to make someone the red hot favourite was just dumb. Especially when McGrath shanked a kick terribly while kicking across goal and it was picked up by an Adelaide player and slotted through for a goal early in the 1st quarter. So you can hardly say he played the perfect game. When Hardwick played on Betts twice this year he kicked a goal on him each time. I doubt anyone considers Hardwick even a ridiculous outside chance to win.

As for efficiency, Burton has been incredible with the ball. Easily our best defender this year (which maybe isnt saying much given our 3 best defenders missed at least half the year through injury). He has played on key forwards. He has played spare man. He has played aggressively up the ground kicking a few goals. And he has no fear kicking it 50m to 60m to players in the open (which is one time where his metres gained stat means something).

I think it is down to Burton and McGrath. Curnow has had a brilliant second half of the year, as have a few other players. I think they will rate higher than the ones who had brilliant starts to the year such as SPP and SPS.

This whole paragraph is so short sighted and ignorant. Well done, a new benchmark in this thread.

giphy.gif

I cashed out my bet last night on the back of the news that Burton wouldn't play this week (robbing him of the chance to place himself at front of mind) as looking at all the possible outcomes; Not cashing out and then Burton losing was the only one I couldn't stomach.

So my main stake in this is done now. It would still be nice if he wins, and I still believe he is the deserved winner regardless of the result - unless one of the other nominees plays an unprecedentedly amazing game this week.

Gamble Responsibly.

I cashed out my bet last night on the back of the news that Burton wouldn't play this week (robbing him of the chance to place himself at front of mind) as looking at all the possible outcomes; Not cashing out and then Burton losing was the only one I couldn't stomach.

So my main stake in this is done now. It would still be nice if he wins, and I still believe he is the deserved winner regardless of the result - unless one of the other nominees plays an unprecedentedly amazing game this week.

Gamble Responsibly.

I've just done the same. Now it doesn't really bother me who wins.

It was a speculative bet put on before the season began anyway so I'm pretty happy with the cash out win tbh.

I don't think Essendon supporters are as invested in the rising star award as the Hawks. We've already won a rising star award semi recently in Heppell plus last year we had a strong showing from Parish as well finishing top 5. In addition we can just hop on over to one of the many Daniher threads or Zac Merrett threads to make us feel better. Plus we are all pretty excited to likely be back in the finals again this year.

Hawks season will end this week and Burton is really the flagship of their young talent. What else do they have to look forward to? The draft - where everyone will mock the fact that they traded away their top pick already?
Yeah cause everyone mocks the club that has been the most successful for the last half a century. :huh:

Yet I suppose no one mocks a club that systematically doped naïve young men.

I wonder who should be mocked, a club that has won Premierships at an astonishing rate for over half a century.

Or a club that got caught Doping.

mmmmm.

If indeed you mock the Hawks over a trade and a draft how did you react to the club you support cheating?

Did you mock them?

This whole paragraph is so short sighted and ignorant. Well done, a new benchmark in this thread.

The exact words used by Watson and co for McGrath deserving the win was him keeping Betts goalless.

Im glad you agree that it was short sighted and ignorant.

BTW do you think its a perfect game if you shank an uncontested possession and it leads to an opposition goal?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah cause everyone mocks the club that has been the most successful for the last half a century. :huh:

Yet I suppose no one mocks a club that systematically doped naïve young men.

I wonder who should be mocked, a club that has won Premierships at an astonishing rate for over half a century.

Or a club that got caught Doping.

mmmmm.

If indeed you mock the Hawks over a trade and a draft how did you react to the club you support cheating?

Did you mock them?
You need to move on from the doping scandal dude. Everybody else has yet it's your go-to move to win every argument.
It really has no relevance to this thread.

I thought Burton was nearly home until McGrath's amazing game on Betts.

Both would be worthy winners - but like most years posters like to target any negatives to help boost their own player. You couldn't in all honesty begrudge either winning it - and I hate essendon and now I hate Jed Anderson.

You need to move on from the doping scandal dude. Everybody else has yet it's your go-to move to win every argument.
It really has no relevance to this thread.
Funny how Essendon fans want to move on and not be mocked for it. Yet an Essendon supporter I was replying to thought that mocking the club that has won the most Premierships in the last half a century was fine.

Irony much?

By and large we honestly don't care. There'll be no melting from me. Every club has supporters who get too emotionally invested in things and can't be rational but it's the ****in rising star, who cares? I'm genuinely more interested in watching McGrath become whatever he ends up becoming and our possibly impending finals series than if he gets this relatively nothing award. McGrath looks a jet, so does Curnow, Burton too, SPS as well. SPP has been impressive, I have doubts over his long term development potential given he's come in as a man child but he might be a long term gun.
Good post.

Everyone on the Talking Footy panel agreed, then the next morning the SEN boys agreed, and that evening AFL Tonight agreed.

Watson put the word out and the media fell in line.

Its interesting that since then Wayne Carey has said he thinks Burton deserves it. Maybe he doesnt like Old Man Timbo telling him what to do.
I just love love LOVE this conspiracy cooked up in the Hawthorn fever swamps that somehow, for some reason, Tim Watson is some kind of media enforcer that people must obey or... well... I don't really know what is supposed to happen. Does he kill their dog? Or organise a drive by shooting or something?

I just love love LOVE this conspiracy cooked up in the Hawthorn fever swamps that somehow, for some reason, Tim Watson is some kind of media enforcer that people must obey or... well... I don't really know what is supposed to happen. Does he kill their dog? Or organise a drive by shooting or something?

Perhaps Tim is pissed that another medal that belonged to the Bombers has since gone the way of the Hawks.....Just at a guess mind.....No investment either way I'm sure.

Funny how Essendon fans want to move on and not be mocked for it. Yet an Essendon supporter I was replying to thought that mocking the club that has won the most Premierships in the last half a century was fine.

Irony much?
Nobodies argued that the Hawks haven't been an incredible team for the better part of a decade, I don't know why you're so insecure about that?
The doping scandal is just an irrelevant argument to this discussion. Completely irrelevant.

Perhaps Tim is pissed that another medal that belonged to the Bombers has since gone the way of the Hawks.....Just at a guess mind.....No investment either way I'm sure.
as a major proponent of the theory surely you can tell me why all the media are so scared of big bad little Timmy Watson? Surely you can justify your theory at least a little bit??

Nobodies argued that the Hawks haven't been an incredible team for the better part of a decade, I don't know why you're so insecure about that?
The doping scandal is just an irrelevant argument to this discussion. Completely irrelevant.
Fair enough.

On topic and IMO.

1st, Burton
2nd, SPP
3rd, Curnow

as a major proponent of the theory surely you can tell me why all the media are so scared of big bad little Timmy Watson? Surely you can justify your theory at least a little bit??

What's my theory Lance?.....That Timmy & his mates have been spruiking McGrath in the media?....That's a well established fact.

Remove this Banner Ad

2017 Rising Star Discussion

Back