VFL 2017 Sandringham News

Remove this Banner Ad

Really exciting stats for Sinclair, White, Marshall, McCartin and McKenzie.
Sinclair the obvious standout across both disposals (31) and tackling (5). Stevens only 11 disposals in about half a game, but 7 tackles is impressive.

White (26) McKenzie (26) and Savage (27) good offensively but not great on defensive pressure with 2, 1 and 0 tackles. (Rice better with 3)

On rebounding, White 7 and Savage 6 both strong. Sinclair 10xI50s and White 5.

Last edited:

Sinclair has to be called up next week. Hope he has a breakout game in the seniors. Does anyone know if Marshal can be brought onto the senior list? May be a good replacement for Bruce as the forward ruck, or maybe just bring in for Longer.
Not a replacement for Bruce. His tank is nowhere near Bruces.
Wouldnt cope with AFL. Yet

Sinclair has to be called up next week. Hope he has a breakout game in the seniors. Does anyone know if Marshal can be brought onto the senior list? May be a good replacement for Bruce as the forward ruck, or maybe just bring in for Longer.
If they brought him in for longer as the no.1 ruck I'd give up. Would be the ultimate FU to him as a standalone ruck for a first game

Agreed Bruce work rate is underrated and would have something to do with his goal kicking woes IMO. U can't coach a tank like that and Marshall doesn't have that yet and most likely never will which is fine

Agreed. However the question is -- can he play in the same team as Bruce? Can we play --

RUCK (either either)
Marshall (Relief Ruck and FWD)
Bruce (lead-up forward/roaming forward)
Membrey (Deep FWD)
Roo

It wasn't all bad - she could also gobble a hot dog in 0.7 seconds......
Just so you know, TB, I suspect samm's reaction was because she's a woman, and finds the somewhat sexist "boys talk" on here rather excluding for our female posters. Many of us men on the board feel the same way. I'm just letting you know as a new poster. :) Not your fault as such, just part of a larger issue the board wrestles with at times.

Agreed. However the question is -- can he play in the same team as Bruce? Can we play --

RUCK (either either)
Marshall (Relief Ruck and FWD)
Bruce (lead-up forward/roaming forward)
Membrey (Deep FWD)
Roo

Not a chance.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just so you know, TB, I suspect samm's reaction was because she's a woman, and finds the somewhat sexist "boys talk" on here rather excluding for our female posters. Many of us men on the board feel the same way. I'm just letting you know as a new poster. :) Not your fault as such, just part of a larger issue the board wrestles with at times.
thanks Persevering Saint

I don't really see much difference between a forward line of Bruce, Paddy and Membrey, with Nick on the wing v Bruce, Marshall and Membrey, with Roo on the wing.

Unless Marshall has a significantly worse tank than Paddy.

No point in it though if Marshall isn't going to be doing the relief ruckwork and it sounds like he's not doing any of it in the VFL, which I find pretty strange.

I don't really see much difference between a forward line of Bruce, Paddy and Membrey, with Nick on the wing v Bruce, Marshall and Membrey, with Roo on the wing.

No point in it though if Marshall isn't going to be doing the relief ruckwork and it sounds like he's not doing any of it in the VFL, which I find pretty strange.
I suspect they figure that his ruckwork isn't the area that needs the most development. Plus remember, they already have to justify having Hickey, Longer, Pierce, and Holmes all on the main list, so two or three of those guys have to be played in the ruck already. That doesn't leave much time for Marshall to go in there.

I suspect they figure that his ruckwork isn't the area that needs the most development. Plus remember, they already have to justify having Hickey, Longer, Pierce, and Holmes all on the main list, so two or three of those guys have to be played in the ruck already. That doesn't leave much time for Marshall to go in there.

Yeah hear you but bugger justifying anything -- they just need to make shit work. Four rucks on the main list but if it's broken, it's broken -- find the solution.

Holmes is gone, this will be his last year and he'll never play AFL again.
Longer/Hickey: Longer is my pick of the two but clearly a ways off running out games. OK then go with Hickey, but he's been struggling to compete at the level this year, and there's also still the question of Ruck 2. So...
Seemingly Pierce doesn't cut it as a Ruck/Fwd option (IE he's a No1 ruck type only, in development, and potentially a bit of development left yet), what then?

Clearly the 2nd Ruck situation is hurting us.

I think Bruce must be relieved of it. Leaving only Marshall really as the other viable option. Or Jake.

Thanks for the note Perse. Although in my own defense, I have kept any "off-colour" humour at the "double-entendre/Benny Hill" level, so PG rated. I would think that passes the pub test. Naturally no offense was intended, and I recognise everyone has different standards of "acceptable" behaviour.

Thanks for the note Perse. Although in my own defense, I have kept any "off-colour" humour at the "double-entendre/Benny Hill" level, so PG rated. I would think that passes the pub test. Naturally no offense was intended, and I recognise everyone has different standards of "acceptable" behaviour.
Seriously, no problems, mate. :) Everywhere is a little different.

I would think that passes the pub test.
It's your choice of pub that's the problem :cool:

Pub-Brawl.png

Well we know that of all the ruckman, Hickey has the best tank so lets rotate him through CHF/FF/Ruck

Gresh Hickey/Bruce/Roo Mav
Minchington Bruce/Hickey Membery

Holmes - Ruck

When Hickey goes into the ruck ,Roo comes back from the wing to CHF.

Can't be as bad as making Bruce play 20% of the game as a ruckman while Longer/Hickey sits on the bench

Saying "Marshall isn't playing in the ruck in the VFL. Therefore, he wont play it in the AFL." is pretty silly imo.

• He was predominantly a ruck last year in the VFL, but also played as a defender.
  • We have more than enough full time rucks playing at Sandy so he's not going to be needed at all/often. This explains why he isn't playing it now (plus we probably want him to focus on his forward craft).
  • AFAIK Bruce never played ruck in the VFL before we decided to make him do it in the AFL.
  • Even if Marshall was the worst option in the universe for the 2nd ruck role in the AFL he'd still be a better option than Bruce.
  • Playing Marshall would allow Bruce to really use his tank by freeing him up to be more of that leading forward.

Last edited:

I think additional crumbers works better for the bomb it in approach and we've looked better without paddy because of the extra small. Long term maybe membrey takes nicks current role and paddy and Bruce are the 2

Remove this Banner Ad

VFL 2017 Sandringham News

Remove this Banner Ad

Back