VFL 2024 Sandringham Zebras

Remove this Banner Ad

I only saw the first quarter of the game and Pou looked really poor and out of form.

The thing with Pou is he started the pre-season games and first round as a midfielder. That says to me that our coaches believe he can be an AFL level midfielder and a gamechanger.

It didn't click early. So he's gone forward again, still out of form, gone to VFL and into midfield.

If in the second half of the VFL game he has improved and played well then that is a very good sign. Pou is an unusual player, he needs to find his own specific way and strengths and how he can impact and ultimately dominate games.

People saying he is a bust are way off the mark. He can be a star.

I'd like to give him another week at VFL and see if he really explodes at the level this week. Then inject him back into the AFL midfield.

Got a good feeling he'll come good in the second half of the year and we'll realise what we have on our hands.
With Pou and young players, improvement is not linear. Injuries, pressure , quality opponents weak to weak things happan.

Especially with lower disposal getters Owens/pou

Look for the moments. There was one awesome spin out clearance Pou did in the third qtr I believe and some other moments where he showed some X factor. The more he accumulates these ‘moment s’ the faster he’ll improve.

I started playing senior football at the age of 16, but it wasn't until I was about 21 that I felt comfortable at the level and really believed that I could match it with anyone. My gut feel is that the Pou doesn't feel truly comfortable at the AFL level yet and and is still working out how he fits into the picture. I think a good stint in the twos will really help build his confidence and he will come back a much more dynamic player.

I started playing senior football at the age of 16, but it wasn't until I was about 21 that I felt comfortable at the level and really believed that I could match it with anyone. My gut feel is that the Pou doesn't feel truly comfortable at the AFL level yet and and is still working out how he fits into the picture. I think a good stint in the twos will really help build his confidence and he will come back a much more dynamic player.
So then, what is your gut feel about playing him every week in the firsts, straight out of the babybox?

I think Lyon is the one with "2nd" year blues.

Got better results last year by just letting the players play.
By "play" you mean adhere to a fairly strict defensive structure and generally put the ball in deep where our undersized/under experienced forward line can be most effective via fast running and run past handballs right?

I would say they are being allowed to play with more freedom this year.

So then, what is your gut feel about playing him every week in the firsts, straight out of the babybox?
I think it would have been better if he had had a stint in the seconds before going into the ones.
Do you believe if he not been a first round draft pick, that he would have got such a sustained run at AFL level based on the performances he was providing?

Love the logic. Owens is not a mid…. That is until Ross decides to panic and throw all the magnets around because plan A is yet again not working.

Same formula each week. Start with the same tried and tested failure, kick 2 goals in a half, panic and throw everyone around and hope that one ends in a position to benefit the team.

I think it would have been better if he had had a stint in the seconds before going into the ones.
Do you believe if he not been a first round draft pick, that he would have got such a sustained run at AFL level based on the performances he was providing?
No and sometimes by throwing them in the deep end doesn't help - totally agree with what you are saying.
Some kids just need the time to grow and develop , very rare you get kids like Tim Watson or Diacos

Sign him for two years then drop him to improve, classic sports psychology there. Not the way to treat someone.

Could have made the difference on the weekend. A lot of Tasmanian Saints fans were looking forward to watching him play.
That's so funny that it's not.

No and sometimes by throwing them in the deep end doesn't help - totally agree with what you are saying.
Some kids just need the time to grow and develop , very rare you get kids like Tim Watson or Diacos

That's so funny that it's not.

Team first always.
Player second.
(except concussion etc., and legal, personal stuff)

Early last season we were so desperate, I wonder if the question of forcing Pou into front line service was a vexing one that was solved/rationalised by the mere fact that we had no personnel? And then when he looked the goods, along with the Nick Daicos killing it, they figured, 'Let's just roll with it'...??

I was going nuts trying to figure out why they were still picking him after the bye last year. Anyone else?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Team first always.
Player second.
(except concussion etc., and legal, personal stuff)

Early last season we were so desperate, I wonder if the question of forcing Pou into front line service was a vexing one that was solved/rationalised by the mere fact that we had no personnel? And then when he looked the goods, along with the Nick Daicos killing it, they figured, 'Let's just roll with it'...??

I was going nuts trying to figure out why they were still picking him after the bye last year. Anyone else?
I think part of the logic was that it takes 50-60 games for a player to really feel like an AFL footballer and we know that he will be a ten year player so let’s get 50-60 games into him asap.

I think part of the logic was that it takes 50-60 games for a player to really feel like an AFL footballer and we know that he will be a ten year player so let’s get 50-60 games into him asap.

Some players do better being in the side than developing at VFL level, he looked okay last year but it looks like he needed to freshen up this year.

Some players do better being in the side than developing at VFL level, he looked okay last year but it looks like he needed to freshen up this year.
I honestly don't think he looked OK last year. He looked like a liability, especially as the season wore on. I couldn't get why we picked him other than the fact that we had no options. So, in a way, I figured it was a bad move for both player and club. But again, who else could have played?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back