List Mgmt. 2017 Trade & FA Targets Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The more I think about gaff the more unlikely it sounds.

Why would west coast give up a contracted A grade mid for a first rounder, it doesn't make sense and it's not how they do business, they will match next year to get their pick.

They will want a first and acres or something nobody in their right mind would pay.

Scratch gaff who's next.

I can't see Gaff happening. The reason being is WCE are not going down the path of a complete rebuild. Sure they're going to cut the list pretty hard but it's going to be their depth they cut at.

They think they can try what we did in 2011 where we targeted existing players and state league talent in a mini rebuild fashion.

They're not going to throw one of their two best mids away in gaff for cheap. Let alone load up on picks in a shit draft. This is the player they've openly stated as being the future of their midfield along with shuey.

It defeats the point of their strategy to trade him away for draft picks in this draft.

They will want a ready made star mid as a replacement which isn't going to happen.

I think their strategy will be more to trade out the crap like masten, Wellingham, Schofield. For picks that many clubs consider dead picks (I.e. 2nd round) or for pick upgrades. Or they'll be looking for picks in the 2018 draft. I wouldn't be surprised to see someone like Duggan shopped.

They'll be loading up on a couple of state league players though. Players like Ryan and Kelly. I think they'll grab ainsworth to be their next inside mid.

Tl;Dr gaff ain't happening unless the offer is insane which isn't going to happen. WCE are not ready for the full rebuild just yet. Next years draft is when they'll pull that pin.

...unless they're genuinely worried they might lose him at end of next season for less.

I've got a theory that each board has an "in the know" by design on this website. They do exactly what you say above, give vague statements that sometimes hit and sometimes miss. Posters such as MG and Stav write better than 90% of the people on this board, so while their information is never new their statements seem to hold more weight. If they are ever called out they react harshly and because of their inferred knowledge people on here defend them to the death. If they are ever taken to task they whip out the old "Hey I'm just posting like everyone else here, no reason to attack me" excuse. Do we really think the club would let people leak information on here? Really? Really really? Really really?

I think that ARR used to write professionally and Barrels is a paid wordsmith, but for some reason their writing on this site doesn't compare to two people who mysteriously hang around the club.Think about it, if the ITK's did work at the club in some capacity do you think that they require a professional writing degree?I'm almost certain they are paid to drop information so people keep coming back to check the website again and again. It's a massive time sink for the regular people on this website and it preys on addictive behaviours.

I've done a bit of research into internet addiction. It changes you so that when you search for new information it doesn't have to be good to hit the reward centers in your brain, it just has to be new information. That's why Facebook is so addictive, but while Facebook provides links to (not always) credible information on the stuff you like, the information given by the most revered posters on here is all rumour and innuendo that anyone can deduce from either listening to SEN or briefly scanning the days footy headlines.

Ask yourself one question, how much time do I spend on here every day? After that ask yourself how much better is my life is because I spent that time on here? I get that it's fun to talk shit about footy but if you're checking this website 10 times an hour every hour then that's addictive behaviour. I've broken the cycle and found I've got way more time in my day to spend on more wholesome things e.g. reading books, learning music, drawing, and most importantly talking to the people that I love face-to-face.

At the end of the day this website isn't around to facilitate footy talk, it's here to make money by selling advertising space. Without the ITK posters the talk seems to dry up and as a result visitors to the site go down. Every time they post I would bet my left nut that activity on the site goes up for at least the next two hours. Therefore ITK=cash. If you're finding yourself frustrated and lacking time in your day I'd suggest getting off this website or any news website for that matter. It's helped me and if it helps anyone else reading this then that's fantastic. If no one cares about this and instead think I'm crazy then you can go tell Rors to get ******.

Won't be on here to see reply's because I'm going back to living life. I'll still be following the saints madly and hope to be singing the song on that last day with everyone on here.

Cya campaigners.

Could be worse things to be addicted to.

Toot toot.

Regarding Gaff. Great offense is great defense. He might not get 10 tackles a game like Steele but he finds the ball and moves it forward. His running power indirectly tires out the opposition which hurts them when they have the ball. We have enough players that are great defensively who can play similar positions like Newnes, Weller, Sinclair, Webster and Roberton.

I wouldn't say no, that's for sure. He's a great player, no denying that.

7+8 to GWS
Kelly + steak knives / late pick to Saints

2018 1st (plus maybe more) to WC
Gaff to Saints

Pick up Rocky via FA to net Brisbane pick 2

Armitage + Hickey to Brisbane
Mid first round pick to Saints
(Hickey to replace Stef Martin; Brisbane accept Armo's salary in exchange for netting them pick 2)

...unless they're genuinely worried they might lose him at end of next season for less.
I don't think there would be much difference. Remember he is a RFA and you have to factor in the difference between the two drafts.

I'd rather one first rounder in next year's draft than two in this one.

But again WCE i don't think are going down the lines of a complete rebuild and I don't think there is cap pressure either. I think the cap has been released some what.

They're still going to stay as competitive as possible I think next year. If they bottom out then I think the rebuild could get more aggressive

Kicking off a rebuild in this draft is all kinds of bad

Good outside players can win their own ball.
For example:
Daniel Wells.
Kelly.
Jack Sinclair ( check out his Richmond game ).

Take the rose coloured glasses off and pick the odd one out.

If sincs was currently at the level of wells and kelly... we wouldn't be sitting here watching everyone else play finals.

Sincs is on a steep upward path which is great- but let's keep potential and performance separate.

In- Gaff, Kelly
Out- 7,8 and 2018 1st

Top 4
My problem with this is that you still have to draft 3 players. Once you trade out your first round picks with nothing back and we don't have a second round pick, then you will have players on the list for two years from rounds 3, 4 and 5. Makes Trouts job a challenge.

Take the rose coloured glasses off and pick the odd one out.

If sincs was currently at the level of wells and kelly... we wouldn't be sitting here watching everyone else play finals.

Sincs is on a steep upward path which is great- but let's keep potential and performance separate.
Was Wells really outperforming Sinclair this season though? I don't believe so.

If WCE were relying on Gaff to win the hard ball to win the game, they were never going to win the game. It's not his role or is it his strength. He has obvious flaws as a player but his strengths outweigh his flaws, especially for us as we are screaming out for a player with his skill set.

It's like asking Nathan Brown to offer more rebound to help us win the game. Not his role, not his skillset.

All of us would prefer Kelly to Gaff as he is a superior player but he will also cost twice as much.

C'mon mate, I'm not talking about head over the pill, in tight, extractor type competing.

The Gaff contests were one on one, in space, put your body in type contests.

Failed miserably then jogged after the bloke that really wanted it.

But if you're happy in playing with only 17 when the opposition have the ball then go for your life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can't see Gaff happening. The reason being is WCE are not going down the path of a complete rebuild. Sure they're going to cut the list pretty hard but it's going to be their depth they cut at.

They think they can try what we did in 2011 where we targeted existing players and state league talent in a mini rebuild fashion.

They're not going to throw one of their two best mids away in gaff for cheap. Let alone load up on picks in a shit draft. This is the player they've openly stated as being the future of their midfield along with shuey.

It defeats the point of their strategy to trade him away for draft picks in this draft.

They will want a ready made star mid as a replacement which isn't going to happen.

I think their strategy will be more to trade out the crap like masten, Wellingham, Schofield. For picks that many clubs consider dead picks (I.e. 2nd round) or for pick upgrades. Or they'll be looking for picks in the 2018 draft. I wouldn't be surprised to see someone like Duggan shopped.

They'll be loading up on a couple of state league players though. Players like Ryan and Kelly. I think they'll grab ainsworth to be their next inside mid.

Tl;Dr gaff ain't happening unless the offer is insane which isn't going to happen. WCE are not ready for the full rebuild just yet. Next years draft is when they'll pull that pin.
Maybe they see Gaff as one of the reasons why their stagnating.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My problem with this is that you still have to draft 3 players. Once you trade out your first round picks with nothing back and we don't have a second round pick, then you will have players on the list for two years from rounds 3, 4 and 5. Makes Trouts job a challenge.
Well our 2nd round picks have been gigantic misses lately anyhow so it's no big deal.

The list wasn't "who was a good player in 2017"

The list was "Good outside players can win their own ball"
Huh?

You said "If sincs was currently at the level of wells and kelly..."

I'm arguing Sinclair is already at Wells level currently, if not ahead. No where near Kelly though.

C'mon mate, I'm not talking about head over the pill, in tight, extractor type competing.

The Gaff contests were one on one, in space, put your body in type contests.

Failed miserably then jogged after the bloke that really wanted it.

But if you're happy in playing with only 17 when the opposition have the ball then go for your life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So if playing with only 17 when the opposition have the ball is a problem, do we play Paddy McCartin next year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back