List Mgmt. 2017 Trade & FA Targets Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Contrary to popular opinion, Gaff can and does win his own ball. Had second most contested possies for the Weagles last weekend only behind Priddis.

Also... it's not easy to get contested possessions when your opponent can't keep up with you.

I'm sure he'd have HEAPS of contested possies if he had mccartins tank.
:rolleyes:

Here is a realistic proposal if we miss on Jelly. This is an attempt to think of a realistic trade that WCE would do – Gaff is a contracted AA in his prime with 5-7 good years left.

Pick 7+8 for Gaff + 11 (or whatever WCE first round pick ends up being)
Pick 11 + our 2018 2nd Round pick for Whitfield (could throw in Lonie if they wanted him)

Essentially we would be giving up our first round picks this year and a bit of change for a former number 1 pick and a former number 4 pick. Both of which are in their primes, contracted, and are AA or potential AA talent in an area that we need (outside run). This would immediately strengthen our midfield. While it might seem like we are giving up too much – I just can’t see how WCE will give up a contracted Gaff for a straight swap of 8. GWS would be easier to convince as they need to lose players because of SC and have all those FAs out of contract in 2018 so may want room to negotiate.

I would then think about trading out Stevens as I think he is the inside mid who has the least upside (I think Dunstan and Steele have shown they can grow into better players to go along with Ross). Also Savage would be surplus and could be shipped. Try to get back a couple of second rounders which we take to the draft and then upgrade Marshal (trade/delist Lonie).

Midfield = Ross, Whitfield, Acres, Dunstan, Steele, Gaff, Steven and Sinclair (with Billings and Gresham rotating through and Freeman as a smokey)

- Oldest player being Steven at 27 the rest being 25 or under.
images (7).jpg

Gaff averages more tackles a game than Nick Reiwoldt. (Another meaningless stat make of it what you wish.)

We lack outside run and carry with good kicking skills - Gaff is better option for that role than any other player on our list

Ooooh the Gaff love is so strong on here it seems that I'm out numbered.

Time will tell my friends.

See you on the round 1 2018 match day thread when the Matador has let through the winning (losing) goal.

**what a surprise that a bloke who plays in the heat of the action has more tackles than a key forward who played half the season with the mobility of a 60 year old**

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kelly? Martin? Whitfield? Lever? Gaff? etc etc

As far as I'm concerned:

1 x first round pick suitable for a class player who improves the list and our chances of victory.

2 x first round picks suitable only for a gun player who will win games for us and who will sell memberships and who will put bums on seats.

Gaff is a massive yes for me. If we can't get whitfield or kelly. Gaff for 8 is very good business. A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. My next thoughts are what could we get for 7 sloane :)... and then aliir for our third round. I would bet we make top 4 with those 3.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Every player has a ceiling, Gaff's is at All Australian level...

Some of the commentary on this board is almost unreadable

It's much more fun when everyone agrees with each other & joins in the circle jerk.

Where is Plugger BTW?

Gaff is proof that Aaron Fiora played in the wrong era. He would have lived up to his potential if he'd been 10 years younger

Makes me laugh him getting branded as " soft" as well.
Aussie Jones never got a hard ball in his life and he was a Saints crowd favourite.
Certain players have certain roles. Gaff does his pretty well IMO.

Aussie was actually a very tough little bugger.

Some of you really need to watch Gaff closely. He really is the definition of a seagull.

Meh, anyway let's talk about a bloke who will really make a difference.

(& is proof you can defend as well as attack)

It's hard to believe we'd already be talking to GWS about a deal for Kelly, especially when the Giants are still hoping he'll sign.
How do you know, maybe he's made up his mind.

What would GWS get out of a bun fight during the finals but a distraction they could do without, their hardly going to the media with josh the flog is leaving.

So why would West Coast do it????????

Exactly.

It would have to be a bloody good deal for them. Not a second round pick that's for sure.

images

The other thing I hope we get into our club this year is a midfielder who puts the team on his back when we are down and says, 'we are not losing this game' and wins an important clearance or lays a massive tackle, like what Lenny did for us time and time again, Selwood does for Geelong and Hodge did for the Hawks. The only player I see on our list with this potential is Dunstan so I hope we add another.

This will be my last post until after the trade period. Kelly certainty to Saints draft pick 7 plus a player or 1st round next year,Saints would need another 1 st rounder on top I still believe Lever is our sleeper. That is all enjoy the ride.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Will we ever see TEW again?

Exactly he's worth a first and no more but it's hard to see WC being happy with that.
He is A grade and what we need.

Like any other player, it comes down to cost and then how badly you want him.

Fair value is one thing, but needs based value is another.

Can't believe people knocking back a 27+ player who goes at 75%.

Then again, given some of the stuff posted non here, I can believe it.

The other thing I hope we get into our club this year is a midfielder who puts the team on his back when we are down and says, 'we are not losing this game' and wins an important clearance or lays a massive tackle, like what Lenny did for us time and time again, Selwood does for Geelong and Hodge did for the Hawks. The only player I see on our list with this potential is Dunstan so I hope we add another.

I think we would all like to add a generational champion of the game...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back