List Mgmt. 2017 - Trading and Free Agency

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why would a player who grew up on the east coast move to Fremantle and spend 8 hours a fortnight on a plane and be away from friends and family? The training facility and new stadium will help retain players and lure WA players home but it's unlikely players from outside WA will head to Freo unless we offer overs in terms of trade and/or dollars like we did with Croad and Tarrant.

Bigger pay packet, or more opportunity for a young up and coming player who is being held out of his own team by an established star player.

I admire your optimism, but after being a member for 23 years I'm a bit jaded.
Lyon needs to get a more attacking game plan as well.
By 2020 he would have taken the better part of $6 mill out of FFC, and we better have something to show for it.

Can't blame Ross for 2013, he had us primed and that prelim was majestic but a bit of stage fright and poor kicking saw us fall short.

We've got Hamling, Logue, Darcy, Pearce and Cox as starting 18 talls, with Collins and Apeness as reserves. We're desperate for quality smalls, hence still giving games to flogs, but people want to bang a top 5 pick on another tall and develop him in the WAFL until 2020 .

Name name's or GTFO.

;)

Please refresh our memories! Who was "our most talented youngster"? I remember Lachie Neale being the sub. Who got dropped?

Neale was the sub for both prelim and gf after being in the main team in the qualifying final win over Geelong.

In the 7 weeks preceding the finals that year, Neale had averaged over 25 disposals per game. He was one of our best players leading into the finals series.

Neale had 21 disposals in that first final while Suban and De Boer had 10 each. But Neale was made the sub for the next 2 games as Lyon preferred older players.

Neale only played 20% of game time in the grand final.

It was an awful decision to play De Boer and Suban over him and I absolutely can and will blame Ross Lyon for that.

We should ask Lachie if he was carrying an injury from the Saints in the bulk rest game.

He played a full game the week after in the first final against Geelong.

The only change to the team after that point is that Michael Johnson returned to the side. Sheridan (who had been the sub) was dropped. Lyon chose Neale to be the new sub over both De Boer and Suban. Despite Neale having had a breakout season and averaging 25+ disposals and having 21 touches and 6 clearances in the first final.

That was completely down to Lyon's rating of age over skill.

He played a full game the week after in the first final against Geelong.

The only change to the team after that point is that Michael Johnson returned to the side. Sheridan (who had been the sub) was dropped. Lyon chose Neale to be the new sub over both De Boer and Suban. Despite Neale having had a breakout season and averaging 25+ disposals and having 21 touches and 6 clearances in the first final.

That was completely down to Lyon's rating of age over skill.

Objection: Speculation

Ultimately there are very few people who knew Neale's ability to run out the match and I choose to think that had some bearing on his selection as sub. He played last year with three injuries but he had more than a third of a season behind him by then.

Why would a player who grew up on the east coast move to Fremantle and spend 8 hours a fortnight on a plane and be away from friends and family? The training facility and new stadium will help retain players and lure WA players home but it's unlikely players from outside WA will head to Freo unless we offer overs in terms of trade and/or dollars like we did with Croad and Tarrant.
We may be able to get some Fringe players like Sydney did with JPK or the crows did with Lynch and Jenkins. I don't think you should get players just with cash.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Objection: Speculation

Ultimately there are very few people who knew Neale's ability to run out the match and I choose to think that had some bearing on his selection as sub. He played last year with three injuries but he had more than a third of a season behind him by then.

Those people hadn't watched the previous 8 weeks then I guess, where he ran the match out just fine and was 10x times better a player than either De Boer or Suban.

What would it take you to get you to admit that Ross Lyon might have made a mistake?

Those people hadn't watched the previous 8 weeks then I guess, where he ran the match out just fine and was 10x times better a player than either De Boer or Suban.

This mythical player monitor had Neale a 10 times better player than De Boer and Suban? Why not 20 times or even 30 times. :rolleyes: If you are going to exaggerate make it worthwhile.;)

So you've deduced that we're desperate for a tall forward, while removing literally every tall on our list from the equation. Lolol, that's awesome.

Top shelf reasoning.

We've got Pearce, Hamling, Logue, Cox and Collins all fighting for spots down back, and apparantly none of them can or are flexible enough to play forward for us.

Ok.

And I'm the one that's blind...
You're either blind or stupid, leaning towards the latter.

I listed the players capable of filling the forward spots including Cox.

2 KPF's - ???? - ???? (We've got the perennially injured in Apeness/Clarke for the ruck forward role, the inconsistent Tabs and the youth in Cox/Strnadica)

Collins is depth, he ain't getting games unless someone breaks.
Logue is a 3rd tall.

Pearce and Hamling will be our main two talls in the backline - Logue will be a 3rd tall.
Collins is depth.

2 of Tabs/Apeness/Cox/Clarke/Strnadica to take the tall spots up forward.

Kersten is a spud and McCarthy is a 3rd tall.

If you need a key forward and you have pick 3 and the best key forward is rated pick 5, you'd take the key forward.
If it's that close, sure.

If you have pick 3 and the best key forward is rated pick 10, take the best available, even if he's a 2 foot 8 inch back pocket.

Always, always, always get the best available player with your first pick. Always.
Given the final picking order isn't established until after the trade period - I would almost agree with you. Except always never say always, exceptions exist

Last edited:
Get Zaharakis, McGov and Matera and i'ld be happy with that. Greenwood if cheap.

Given the final picking order isn't established until after the trade period - I would almost agree with you. Except always never say always, exceptions exist
Absolutely. Every great rule has an exception.:thumbsu:

A Pearce doesn't have the positioning nous nor the set shot mechanics to be better than 'adequate' as a forward. I'm not sure what is was about his 1 goal in approximately 3 matches (happy to be corrected here since I'm going off memory) as a forward that lead people to think he's the best candidate to hold down FF for the next decade. Athleticism alone isn't enough. Rather leave him down back where he showed immense promise as a two-way KPD and target genuine KPF's through more conventional means.

A Pearce doesn't have the positioning nous nor the set shot mechanics to be better than 'adequate' as a forward. I'm not sure what is was about his 1 goal in approximately 3 matches (happy to be corrected here since I'm going off memory) as a forward that lead people to think he's the best candidate to hold down FF for the next decade. Athleticism alone isn't enough. Rather leave him down back where he showed immense promise as a two-way KPD and target genuine KPF's through more conventional means.
The Freo Way.

upload_2017-7-19_15-11-8.jpeg

He got the ball in some good spots, but his set shots and kicking distance let him down.

He could have kicked 3 or 4 if could kick 40m. If he worked on his set shot kicking then he could be a very handy forward.

To be fair to A.pearce he don't even spend time in a pre season playing forward. His time with peel also mainly playing as a defender with occasionally swinging forward .

He got the ball in some good spots, but his set shots and kicking distance let him down.

He could have kicked 3 or 4 if could kick 40m. If he worked on his set shot kicking then he could be a very handy forward.
Not too dissimilar from Cox up forward. Gets to good places, looks a lively sort but struggled to finish in all but 1 case from memory.

That said. He played played his last year of underage football predominately as a forward. He looked super quick on some of his leads in the highlights from when he was drafted. One of his juniour coaches described him as a natural forward in the write-up in Inside Foootball Magazine (if I remember correctly) looking at potential draftees. Also his kicking technique improved gigantically in the season he injured his leg compared to the year before. I still think he is going to play back when he returns, but wouldnt completely rule out the idea of him playing forward. Also he is now visibly stronger than when he was injured. If we dont trade for a forward and instead draft 18 year old key position prospects I think he would provide a better contest than what we are getting now in the forward fifty.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back