VFL 2017 VFL Magpies Off-Season and Recruiting Thread (list finalised! See OP & p14 post 331!)

Remove this Banner Ad

Some good offseason recruiting. We should be aiming for top 4 again this year.

I think we should be Aiming for the Flag after making the PF last year. Even with us getting Destroyed in it

Would this Effect the VFL Side?

The stand alone clubs are North Ballarat, Port Melbourne, Williamstown and Coburg. Our younger players tend to rotate in and out especially as 23rd man, so I think it would be difficult to any of them as as a young gun.

Could be a good recruit if we get him, but he does seem to have had a fair few injuries. Mat Suckling is probably the last player we got from Norwood (SANFL) and that didn't really work out well, with him only staying for the one season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Woodward is a great signing for Collingwood's VFL team. He's been one of the most consistent performers in the midfield the past three seasons for Box Hill polling quite well in the JJ Liston Trophy award despite undergoing three knee reconstructions since 2012. He's a hard at it tough inside midfielder who's excellent around the stoppages which will significantly strengthen Collingwood's midfield brigade in 2017.

We Signed Alex Woodward from Hawks. Hope he can get Thru a Full Season

giphy.gif

Club statement and comments by Woodward

http://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/news/2016-12-08/exhawk-to-call-the-holden-centre-home
Woodward said:
“The culture is really good here and the program is first class," Woodward told Collingwood Media.

"I'm really excited about next season."

While Woodward is solely focussed on the VFL Magpies in 2017, he believes the door to resuming his AFL career remains ajar.

"AFL is obviously a goal, but team success comes first I think," he said.

“I just want to get back to basics in terms of getting some consistant footy out and enjoying my footy again.”

Read the last 2 pages on this thread.Understand some people saying we should aim higher in the vfl. Or talk about possibly some of the raw recruits not being ready initially for VFL. And may initially play second fidle to the VFL listed pie players.
However my opinion is the first goal of our vfl team should be developing the youngsters, putting out of form senior players in form , then keeping players that cant crack the seniors sharp. Then possibly near the botton were they finish on the ladder.
I would play Lynch first ruck , mcarthy and Mcalty in key positions. Brown and Daicos as much as i can. No matter what the score even if were getting thrashed. All senior and rookie listed players should take precedents over any vfl listed player even Woodward!

Read the last 2 pages on this thread.Understand some people saying we should aim higher in the vfl. Or talk about possibly some of the raw recruits not being ready initially for VFL. And may initially play second fidle to the VFL listed pie players.
However my opinion is the first goal of our vfl team should be developing the youngsters, putting out of form senior players in form , then keeping players that cant crack the seniors sharp. Then possibly near the botton were they finish on the ladder.
I would play Lynch first ruck , mcarthy and Mcalty in key positions. Brown and Daicos as much as i can. No matter what the score even if were getting thrashed. All senior and rookie listed players should take precedents over any vfl listed player even Woodward!

Who Follow's the VFL does know that Development is 1st thing and Winning is 2nd thing

Has Dom Milesi's fingerprints all over the selection. Woodward is one of his personal favourites.

Obvious question with maybe an obvious answer, but would you be in favour of picking up Woodward next year in one of the drafts if he has a good 2017, Knighta?

Obvious question with maybe an obvious answer, but would you be in favour of picking up Woodward next year in one of the drafts if he has a good 2017, Knighta?

Don't see the need.

We have a deep midfield and more mids than we have room to accommodate through there.

Woodward is a good midfielder who finds the footy.

What we need through midfield is stars.

We have other more pressing list needs that need addressing otherwise if we're not talking about star power through the midfield.

Who Follow's the VFL does know that Development is 1st thing and Winning is 2nd thing
The two aren't mutually exclusive and a winning culture is important when developing players. I think we've had the balance pretty right the past few seasons with an experienced VFL core and fringe role players supplementing our youth. These players add important leadership to teach and educate developing players onfield and also provide mature bodies to stop the kids getting knocked about.

Generally speaking the VFL players who rotate in and out of the side are themselves younger players and while at times they can offer more or better form than our young AFL listed players preference is very much given to the latter.

Remove this Banner Ad

VFL 2017 VFL Magpies Off-Season and Recruiting Thread (list finalised! See OP & p14 post 331!)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back