Team Mgmt. 2018 & 2019 team selections, injuries and availability

Remove this Banner Ad

Have reworked the spreadsheet a little and added some columns so we can see how Jake Long's suspension and the various injuries might affect us going forward (either at VFL or AFL level). Have also combined the forwards into one group and defenders into one group in the 'role' tab, although the 'talls' are still a different shade to the other forwards/defenders. Players are sorted firstly by who is currently in the team, and then by their height, mainly because that roughly keeps the like-for-like replacements near one another on the list.

• They may have intended to bring Jake Long in this week, with McGrath staying on the wing. He is now suspended so the defence might be a bit thin on the ground. Will depend on what Freo have available and whether we're happy to stick with a smaller defence.
  • Draper is the only rookie available for upgrade with Long suspended, McKernan already upgraded and McNiece injured. Could come in as a defender but that seems unlikely, given they replaced Hurley with Goddard last week (most likely because we lose a lot of experience without Hurls).
  • Mitch Brown is technically available, so that could be interesting if he potentially comes in for Hurley and BJ goes back to the midfield. Most likely needs more time in the VFL because he was still on limited km last week and tbh he hasn't played since round 6 other than a couple of VFL comeback games before he got reinjured, so probably expect him to take a while to get back up to speed.
  • Howlett is the only forward left that isn't injured and isn't already in the team. He probably comes in for Green unless we bring in Redman or Ridley or something like that (he was trialled forward in the VFL wasn't he?)
  • Watson for Bird. If Bird is out of contract and isn't being given every chance to prove he deserves another one, then it's probably fair to assume that they already know what they want to do with him (recontract/delist).

Also starting to wonder if a two-bye season would make sense in order to prevent injuries. Teams in the 1-4 won't rest players at the end of the year because the double bye seems to hurt them. If teams sitting 5-8 want to rest players because they think they're in easy and don't need to worry about home vs. away finals that's their business, more fun for whoever has to beat them.

Plotting in the milestones for this year... geez there's a lot. I'm sad we aren't playing the Dogs in round 11... Stringer's 100th game if he plays the first 10 rounds. :smilingimp:

Bellchambers and Daniher both hitting 100 games in round 7 as well... which is vaguely hilarious if it actually happens (what are the chances TBC plays the first 6?)

Walla and Raz both looking at their 50 games this year too... I can't believe they haven't played 50 yet :huh:

Parish and Langford could get to 50, and then we have Merrett and Heppell looking at milestones later in the year as well.

Plus a heap of other ones, who knows if they'll get there or not, depends on whether they can get games. I guess Green and Saad only need two a piece for their milestones so that's sort of inevitable.

Plotting in the milestones for this year... geez there's a lot. I'm sad we aren't playing the Dogs in round 11... Stringer's 100th game if he plays the first 10 rounds. :smilingimp:

Bellchambers and Daniher both hitting 100 games in round 7 as well... which is vaguely hilarious if it actually happens (what are the chances TBC plays the first 6?)

Walla and Raz both looking at their 50 games this year too... I can't believe they haven't played 50 yet :huh:

Parish and Langford could get to 50, and then we have Merrett and Heppell looking at milestones later in the year as well.

Plus a heap of other ones, who knows if they'll get there or not, depends on whether they can get games. I guess Green and Saad only need two a piece for their milestones so that's sort of inevitable.
I like Green but there has to be a chance he doesn't get a game if we have a good run with injuries... Colyer, Langford and Begley are probably not in my team and i'd have any of those guys first i think. Plus if no room can be found for Francis in the backline then i'd have him before Green for development.

I like Green but there has to be a chance he doesn't get a game if we have a good run with injuries... Colyer, Langford and Begley are probably not in my team and i'd have any of those guys first i think. Plus if no room can be found for Francis in the backline then i'd have him before Green for development.
Certainly a possibility. I think Green will still get a run, he might end up playing the Howlett role (covering injuries)... should still get 2 though.

I think greens role should be filled with youth but if he does get a game he's so hard to drop, never going to be bog but will always do enough.

I have a thread open somewhere on here if you want to look at that

Certainly a possibility. I think Green will still get a run, he might end up playing the Howlett role (covering injuries)... should still get 2 though.
Yes and at the end of the day I think the coaches rate him higher than I do. Very likely to get games one way or the other

There is a difference between what we hope for and what is reality from what we know.

Been watching some replays recently, including finally bringing myself to watch the finals loss to Sydney.

A few things I didn't notice at the time. We were more than competitive in the first quarter, with a bit more composure going forward we would have been in front. Watson was immense in the first quarter but as he faded so did we.

Bellchambers was winning his share of the ruck but we rarely got any benefit.

Hooker forward is integral to our structure and winning game style. He provides a big body, aggression and is rarely beaten in a contest. The other forwards all feed off his presence.

Bags and Gleeson are comfortably starting 18 for 2018.

After the Sydney loss Woosha talked about composure. Both Parish and McGrath were very impressive in the first quarter when the heat was on. One touch players who make good decisions under pressure. Colyer and Myers were not. On 2017 form neither are starting 22, but without Watson we really need Myers to step up.

Expect Heppell to impose himself more this year, think he was running on empty for the second half last year. Wouldn't mind seeing him play a bit more off half back in the first half of the year in the Goddard role, and play BJ as the inside mid, to keep him fresher for the second half of the season. Although not always recognised he is the key to our engine room. Stringer and Smith are both more dangerous resting forward than Hep.

Green is just a very smart forward who makes goals out of half chances. You need a player like him to beat the top sides. He never really looked fully fit last year. Injury free and with a decent preseason he will be best 22.

Baguley Hartley Ambrose
McKenna Hurley Gleeson
McGrath Heppel Smith
Fantasia Daniher Stewart
Walla Hooker Green

Bellchambers Stringer Merrett

Parish (m)
Zaharakis (m)
Goddard (m)
Saad

Begley should be in but can't find a spot. He will play all games he is available for due to injuries.
Myers will come in if he finds form as we may need an extra big bodied mid.
Francis could replace Hartley, Ambrose or Stewart ... If.

Langford, Laverde, Colyer, McNiece, Luey, Mutch will all get their chance throughout the year.

There is a difference between what we hope for and what is reality from what we know.

Been watching some replays recently, including finally bringing myself to watch the finals loss to Sydney.

A few things I didn't notice at the time. We were more than competitive in the first quarter, with a bit more composure going forward we would have been in front. Watson was immense in the first quarter but as he faded so did we.

Bellchambers was winning his share of the ruck but we rarely got any benefit.

Hooker forward is integral to our structure and winning game style. He provides a big body, aggression and is rarely beaten in a contest. The other forwards all feed off his presence.

Bags and Gleeson are comfortably starting 18 for 2018.

After the Sydney loss Woosha talked about composure. Both Parish and McGrath were very impressive in the first quarter when the heat was on. One touch players who make good decisions under pressure. Colyer and Myers were not. On 2017 form neither are starting 22, but without Watson we really need Myers to step up.

Expect Heppell to impose himself more this year, think he was running on empty for the second half last year. Wouldn't mind seeing him play a bit more off half back in the first half of the year in the Goddard role, and play BJ as the inside mid, to keep him fresher for the second half of the season. Although not always recognised he is the key to our engine room. Stringer and Smith are both more dangerous resting forward than Hep.

Green is just a very smart forward who makes goals out of half chances. You need a player like him to beat the top sides. He never really looked fully fit last year. Injury free and with a decent preseason he will be best 22.

Baguley Hartley Ambrose
McKenna Hurley Gleeson
McGrath Heppel Smith
Fantasia Daniher Stewart
Walla Hooker Green

Bellchambers Stringer Merrett

Parish (m)
Zaharakis (m)
Goddard (m)
Saad

Begley should be in but can't find a spot. He will play all games he is available for due to injuries.
Myers will come in if he finds form as we may need an extra big bodied mid.
Francis could replace Hartley, Ambrose or Stewart ... If.

Langford, Laverde, Colyer, McNiece, Luey, Mutch will all get their chance throughout the year.
Reckon you might have nailed it. Green and Bags aren't popular choices around here but i've seen very little signs that coaching panel agrees. Green in particular could become a good fit if Walla and Fantasia are played more in the middle (although i'm guessing against this).
I hope Langford and Laverde know how much they have to prove! I think a lot of us have them in our best 22 on pure optimism.
It could go precisely the opposite way of course, but your guess is as good as any i think.

I honestly cannot see why we would go with Green over Laverde or Begley. I wonder what he could bring over the other two. He doesn't kick many goals. Doesn't kick the occasional bag. He doesn't really provide the pressure. Obviously has no presence in the air. He was fairly inaccurate, very far from his accuracy in his time at Brisbane. Isn't really that quick. Doesn't really have the tank to rotate through the midfield.

He's good depth, but if we're serious, we'd put some game time into the other two.

Continuing from Parish thread;

Mad Bomber Sean (and everyone else too) what do you think our best 22 midfield will be this year, r1 vs. r23?

By my reckoning, this is everyone that rotates through the midfield (ordered by height): Brendon Goddard, Jake Stringer, Jayden Laverde, Kyle Langford, David Myers, Dyson Heppell, Kobe Mutch, Dylan Clarke, Trent Mynott, Matt Guelfi, Darcy Parish, Zach Merrett, David Zaharakis, Andrew McGrath, Orazio Fantasia, Devon Smith, Travis Colyer, Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Continuing from Parish thread;

Mad Bomber Sean (and everyone else too) what do you think our best 22 midfield will be this year, r1 vs. r23?

By my reckoning, this is everyone that rotates through the midfield (ordered by height): Brendon Goddard, Jake Stringer, Jayden Laverde, Kyle Langford, David Myers, Dyson Heppell, Kobe Mutch, Dylan Clarke, Trent Mynott, Matt Guelfi, Darcy Parish, Zach Merrett, David Zaharakis, Andrew McGrath, Orazio Fantasia, Devon Smith, Travis Colyer, Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti
You left out josh Green. Seriously.

You left out josh Green. Seriously.
:tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

DERO's Best 22

Josh Green Josh Green Josh Green
Josh Green Josh Green Josh Green Josh Green

:tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

DERO's Best 22

Josh Green Josh Green Josh Green Josh Green
I was being serious. What do I have to do to be taken seriously around here? He roamed through the midfield like a red-headed gazelle at times last year.

I know we update each player thread with injury news which is fantastic but I thought it would be good to have an injury list thread which summarises all our injuries in one place. I did a search and could not find one so have decided to create one, if this is not wanted or needed feel free to delete.

Player Injury Estimated Return
Patrick Ambrose Wrist 4-6 weeks
Travis Colyer Foot 4-5 weeks
Orazio Fantasia Knee 1-2 weeks
Aaron Francis Mental health TBC
Marty Gleeson Ankle 12-14 weeks
Jayden Laverde Hamstring 1-2 weeks
Zach Merrett Concussion Test
Kobe Mutch Knee 1 week
David Myers Calf 1-2 weeks

Not sure why it formats like this. I have formatted it correctly in the preview but it looks horrible when posted. Thread starter newb...

Last edited:
I know we update each player thread with injury news which is fantastic but I thought it would be good to have an injury list thread which summarises all our injuries in one place. I did a search and could not find one so have decided to create one, if this is not wanted or needed feel free to delete.

Code:
Player                          Injury                     Estimated Return
Patrick Ambrose        Wrist                     4-6 weeks
Travis Colyer             Foot                      4-5 weeks
Orazio Fantasia          Knee                     1-2 weeks
Aaron Francis            Mental health         TBC
Marty Gleeson           Ankle                    12-14 weeks
Jayden Laverde         Hamstring              1-2 weeks
Zach Merrett             Concussion            Test
Kobe Mutch               Knee                     1 week
David Myers              Calf                       1-2 weeks

Not sure why it formats like this. I have formatted it correctly in the preview but it looks horrible when posted. Thread starter newb...

Usually when you wrap coding around it it works

A lot of our supporters were getting frustrated today at our slow movement of the ball. But i thought some of our best entries were when we held it, switched it (even multiple times) and waited for the right moment to go.
We were clearly doing this because if we bombed it in, Collingwood were going to cut us up on the transition.
Melbourne tried to the same thing against the Tigers to no avail.
What do people think the best strategy is for the bombers against small quick teams (dogs, pies, tiges) who seem to cut us to ribbons as soon as the ball hits the ground?

(feel free to move mods, didn't really know where this went)

A huge issue for us is creating space on the exit, the backline are struggling to kick to places that open up the ground and then inevitably go too wide to the safe option, before the defenders close in and we get hemmed on the boundary.

Really need the forwards to hold deep, to give us space to work in. Should keep two players in our forward half at all times and need to bring in Laverde and Langford as marking targets instead of constantly relying on Tippa and Green to take overhead marks.

A lot of our supporters were getting frustrated today at our slow movement of the ball. But i thought some of our best entries were when we held it, switched it (even multiple times) and waited for the right moment to go.
We were clearly doing this because if we bombed it in, Collingwood were going to cut us up on the transition.
Melbourne tried to the same thing against the Tigers to no avail.
What do people think the best strategy is for the bombers against small quick teams (dogs, pies, tiges) who seem to cut us to ribbons as soon as the ball hits the ground?

(feel free to move mods, didn't really know where this went)
If we are going to build a list that plays a high risk, high reward style, then that is what we should persist with. We went backwards so much and tried to play the chip chip style that Hawthorn play, only to turn it over anyway. It didn't stop Collingwood from scoring. It only stopped us from scoring. We should have taken the game on and keep the ball moving instead of allowing Collingwood to man up all across the field Completely played in Collingwood's hands. We beat them twice last year by using the corridor and running in waves.

If we are going to build a list that plays a high risk, high reward style, then that is what we should persist with. We went backwards so much and tried to play the chip chip style that Hawthorn play, only to turn it over anyway. It didn't stop Collingwood from scoring. It only stopped us from scoring. We should have taken the game on and keep the ball moving instead of allowing Collingwood to man up all across the field Completely played in Collingwood's hands. We beat them twice last year by using the corridor and running in waves.

If this how you want to look at it, the high risk high reward bubble has burst. It never has a chace of doing anything in finals anyway.

A good side cannot play from it's half back line which is what we have been doing for the last year.

That's inherently reactive and feeds opponents who are looking to lock the ball forward. We also can't expect the disposal of the half backs to stand up to continued pressure.

I'd go as far as saying that at the current rate against a good side we only win if, for various reasons, they allow us to win. The thing I took from the Port game was that none of the Fox Footy commentators watched us against the Dogs.

The performance against Port was a negligible improvement (except for the extent of horrendous turnovers). They didn't turn up and it gave us a chance.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back