Review 2018 2nd Elimination Final: Box Hill Hawks v Port Melbourne, 1 September 2018, 2.10pm @ NPO

Remove this Banner Ad

Perhaps at the last gasp, but Wilsmore was fairly mediocre during the course of the game, especially his lack of desperation at the contest.
Although his kicking is fairly close to elite, that's not enough. Hes a virtual certainty to be delisted.
Sure, it was more a comment on what separates afl players from vfl.

Perhaps at the last gasp, but Wilsmore was fairly mediocre during the course of the game, especially his lack of desperation at the contest.
Although his kicking is fairly close to elite, that's not enough. Hes a virtual certainty to be delisted.
For an elite kick his kicking this year has been shithouse.

Cracked me up in over time to see Willsmore with clean shorts.
I thought, there is the bigfooty summation of your career/skillset right there.

Cracked me up in over time to see Willsmore with clean shorts.
I thought, there is the bigfooty summation of your career/skillset right there.

Sadly says it all. I like but don't like your post. I've often wondered how could you not be inspired by a team mate like Mitch Bull O'Donnell who not only played three quarters against Casey with a broken jaw, he had an insane game high 17 tackles. I find it very frustrating to watch such a waste of talent. On numerous occasions I've left the BHH games with bruised heels due to spontaneous stamping of my feet on the ground thanks to Da llass bruising his chest with his chin.

Last few weeks TOB has been holding his marks, looks a lot more confident.

I'm a TOB fan and would love to see him playing for Hawthorn every week. I do wonder if that will happen. We have been hearing things like this about him off and on for two years, for some reason he always regresses. He has some physical limitations IMO. The coaching staff rate him highly so I figured that he might be able to work around these. For his height he is not fast, at anything. Whether it be turning, covering the ground or kicking, he is mechanical and slow. His one elite aspect is his marking, which doesn't seem to be reliable.

I do hope that we keep him and that he comes good.

I'm a TOB fan and would love to see him playing for Hawthorn every week. I do wonder if that will happen. We have been hearing things like this about him off and on for two years, for some reason he always regresses. He has some physical limitations IMO. The coaching staff rate him highly so I figured that he might be able to work around these. For his height he is not fast, at anything. Whether it be turning, covering the ground or kicking, he is mechanical and slow. His one elite aspect is his marking, which doesn't seem to be reliable.

I do hope that we keep him and that he comes good.

I think TOB is relatively quick and agile for a fella who's 193cm. I'd be interested to know what track watchers like HH and 4P think of his pace and agility.

But undoubtedly the reason for his recent form is the switch to the back line. He is looking up the ground and running forward, not having to turn.
He's consequently able to play a more direct game - and he's reading the play well. That's why he played so well on Sunday. He read the ball coming into the Port forward line brilliantly. His disposal was also good.

At one stage he took the ball on the back line, baulked a player and ran under the stand we were sitting in. We thought the ball had gone out of bounds because there were 2 opposition players about to tackle or push him over the boundary(we had no sight of the boundary line from the stand). But he'd apparently put on his afterburners (or what excuse he has for them, for a big fella) because next we saw him, he'd obviously evaded the opponents and was running down the wing. He kicked the ball to a team mate up the ground. Impressive stuff.

By the way, the other maligned player who did bloody well was Duryea.
He was hard at the ball (and man) and as tough as nails. He was responsible for a number of clearances and saved goals. I can't remember him making a mistake all day.

I think TOB is relatively quick and agile for a fella who's 193cm. I'd be interested to know what track watchers like HH and 4P think of his pace and agility.

My thinking is that 193cm is not that big. At that height he is not quick. Granted his pace is fine in a straight line, but his movement sideways and his turning circle is problematic. Maybe you can get away with that a bit at CHB especially when you read the play well. I can recall some really impressive passages involving TOB, personally I'd like to see a more even performance. Hope we see him back up next week and put in another good performance.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

TOB trained mostly in the backline i n pre season. The games he has played he has looked assured and played with a lot more confidence. I think he might just have a chance to develop well as a backman. Has real pace and agility and can jump to spoil a lot to work with

Last edited:
Mississippi wrote "I'd be interested to know what track watchers like HH and 4P think of his pace and agility.
But undoubtedly the reason for his recent form is the switch to the back line. He is looking up the ground and running forward, not having to turn."
I totally agree the switch to the back line and not having to turn has led to TO's recent form. His last three games against good opposition have all been good. I think taking away the uncertainly of turning has provided him with the confidence to attack the ball and then run and drive it forward. TO's has reasonable pace and I hope we will see his agility improve as his confidence grows. TO's has very good hands and uses the ball well by hand and foot so it's been really pleasing to watch his transformation.

TOB trained mostly in the backline i n pre season. The games he has played he has looked assured and played with a lot more confidence. I think he might just have a chance to debeop well as a backman. Has real pace and agility and can jump to spoil a lot to work with
I thought even at afl level he looked better in defence (except for a couple of howlers).

I thought even at afl level he looked better in defence (except for a couple of howlers).
Yep i agree he is also a magnificent kick a pre requisite for any attacking hawthorn backman. He is contracted i look forward to what he can offer back there

But undoubtedly the reason for his recent form is the switch to the back line. He is looking up the ground and running forward, not having to turn.
He's consequently able to play a more direct game - and he's reading the play well. That's why he played so well on Sunday. He read the ball coming into the Port forward line brilliantly. His disposal was also good.

At one stage he took the ball on the back line, baulked a player and ran under the stand we were sitting in. We thought the ball had gone out of bounds because there were 2 opposition players about to tackle or push him over the boundary(we had no sight of the boundary line from the stand). But he'd apparently put on his afterburners (or what excuse he has for them, for a big fella) because next we saw him, he'd obviously evaded the opponents and was running down the wing. He kicked the ball to a team mate up the ground. Impressive stuff.

By the way, the other maligned player who did bloody well was Duryea.
He was hard at the ball (and man) and as tough as nails. He was responsible for a number of clearances and saved goals. I can't remember him making a mistake all day.

Probably the difference in the pace of the game between AFL and VFL gave Tim and Doc just that little bit of time they wouldn't have had in the firsts.

gXl8c3C.png

jOU70Kf.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Review 2018 2nd Elimination Final: Box Hill Hawks v Port Melbourne, 1 September 2018, 2.10pm @ NPO

Remove this Banner Ad

Back