Review 2018 2nd Elimination Final: Box Hill Hawks v Port Melbourne, 1 September 2018, 2.10pm @ NPO

Remove this Banner Ad

We dominated the second quarter but were fairly inaccurate. Disposal was fairly poor from both sides, but our players were genuinely desperate to win the hard ball.

- Dylan Moore very lively forward but struggling to convert. Kicking 1.3 and looking dangerous as a small forward.

- Mitchell Lewis playing ruck/forward and looking good. Occasionally gets shoved out of the way but has some fantastic taps.

- O’Brien good across halfback. Marking well and intercepting errant kicks.

- Jackson Ross is a fantastic set shot. Fades in and out of games.

- Howe physically imposing but rusty with his disposal. Almost killed a guy with a massive tackle

- Hanrahan attacks the ball hard with a rare mix of pace and skill, but a light breeze knocks him over

- Cousins our best midfielder. He’s the Mitchell of the VFL.

- Expect more from Duryea as a senior player. Some very average moments that he was lucky didn’t result in opposition goals.

- Whitey good. Kicked one of the flukiest goals I've ever seen.

Only concern is we now already have a lot of players in his role. The senior team really needs outside players at the minute in terms of mids.

I could have seen him move ahead of Howe but with the emergence of Worpel as a genuine on-baller and Burgoyne signing for next year, opportunities might be limited to injuries.

Half time I s so far:

TOB playing out of his skin down back.looks like penny has dropped, playing with great aggression

Howe. Very very rusty, as you would expect I guess

Hanrahan. This kids definitely has it. Playing more in the midfield today and has great energy and poise

Cousins FMD he can play! Will get a contract next year

Ross - has a touch of class and good set shot for goal

Dylan Moore as I’ve said before, massive massive upgrade on Hartung. Has kicked 1.3 but looks every bit of an afl player

Jor. The usual thereabouts game without dominating

Pittonet - tucking well and looks pretty agile today

Miles good solid game

Brand same as mikes, big nervy at times but looking good

Lovell. Playing ok, just needs to impact more

Can he be effective when not on the ball? Would be the biggest thing holding him back.

I don’t know - I’ve only heard good reviews, not actually watched him consistently. What does he need to work on

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can he be effective when not on the ball? Would be the biggest thing holding him back.

Quite possibly yeah. You could also argue that there have been many top line midfielders who don't necessarily have a secondary position (Mitchell being a good example), but on the other hand, we know Clarkson likes his players to have some sort of versatility

I like what he brings to the table so far in his career however

Quite possibly yeah. You could also argue that there have been many top line midfielders who don't necessarily have a secondary position (Mitchell being a good example), but on the other hand, we know Clarkson likes his players to have some sort of versatility

Cousins would need to be a top 20-30 mid to not need to be goo at any other roles. All our mids spend some time elsewhere. Just a reality of modern footy.

It's not even necessarily that he would have to be versatile to be selected. Just that Mitchell, O'Meara, Shiels and Worpel are all in the 22 and all have on ball as their best position with their second best position way behind. Shiels can at least have a good run through a wing and O'Meara gets rested forward (to limited success). We were so effective at rotating our centre square back in the three-peat because only really Sewell couldn't play another position. Even Mitch started playing outside behind the ball at the end. Now our mids are a lot more limited in their roles it seems.

Commentators on the VFL stream clearly have money on Port. Blatant supporting, especially after that last goal
They have been jizzing over port all day.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review 2018 2nd Elimination Final: Box Hill Hawks v Port Melbourne, 1 September 2018, 2.10pm @ NPO

Remove this Banner Ad

Back