2018 AFL Crowds & Ratings thread

Remove this Banner Ad

The explaination for why this year's Carl V Coll opening match was down by over 50% from last year was the bbl.

These matches are also down in ratings by over 50% collectively. Is there an explaination for this also?

It's not the first round of the first ever season?

Thanks for the explaination. I knew there had to be one.

The challenge will be if it can sustain these numbers, or even build through the season. Last year the numbers fell a way as the season went.

Hopefully its a closer season with teams well and truly in the hunt late into the season.

AFLW ratings crowds and ratings dropped away very quickly toward the end of last season - I think not having a final series is part of that, because with only 2 of 8 teams making the grand final, teams fall away from the mathematical chance very quickly.

I'm hoping crowds in Sydney are a lot better, starting with a Friday Night game vs Carlton next week. I've mentioned this before, but especially AFLW's attraction to non-traditional footy followers (half of all sold AFLW memberships last season were to non-club members), their scheduling of their two Sydney games last year, to a potential audience of 5 million who would have "heard" of the AFLW and might wanted to check it out, was horrific. (As the structure of that sentence, but just go with me).

Last year, whilst the promotion, marketing of the league before the first game was fantastic (in contrast to this season, and eventually led to the 1st game lockout), the AFL didn't get the benefits of doing so in Sydney: because of the scheduling of their two games, both at Blacktown, out of the way and not easy to get to: Round 3 vs Freo, at Midday on a Saturday - not in the afternoon, and at a horrible time as people are still taking their Saturday morning slow, taking kids to junior sport, or similar, and Round 5 vs Melbourne at 5pm on a Friday, which is still working hours... - this is because both games were scheduled in preference to pre-season games. This was reflected in their two attendances at those games - 4,000 approx. for the first, and 2,000 approx. for the second. For the only two games for an audience of 5 million for all the noise that the AFLW was making last season, those crowds were atrocious, and reflected the scheduling.

In contrast, GWS have three home games in Sydney this year, and at least are playing the first of those three at Drummoyne Oval, a lot more central. Their next games, whilst still at Blacktown, are at the more palatable times of 4.30 on a Sunday evening and another Friday Night game.

At the very least, GWS should be able to get around 20,000 to those three games, and I wouldn't be surprised if they got 25,000. A lot more impressive than their 6,000 across two games that brought down the league average.

AFLW ratings crowds and ratings dropped away very quickly toward the end of last season - I think not having a final series is part of that, because with only 2 of 8 teams making the grand final, teams fall away from the mathematical chance very quickly.

I'm hoping crowds in Sydney are a lot better, starting with a Friday Night game vs Carlton next week. I've mentioned this before, but especially AFLW's attraction to non-traditional footy followers (half of all sold AFLW memberships last season were to non-club members), their scheduling of their two Sydney games last year, to a potential audience of 5 million who would have "heard" of the AFLW and might wanted to check it out, was horrific. (As the structure of that sentence, but just go with me).

Last year, whilst the promotion, marketing of the league before the first game was fantastic (in contrast to this season, and eventually led to the 1st game lockout), the AFL didn't get the benefits of doing so in Sydney: because of the scheduling of their two games, both at Blacktown, out of the way and not easy to get to: Round 3 vs Freo, at Midday on a Saturday - not in the afternoon, and at a horrible time as people are still taking their Saturday morning slow, taking kids to junior sport, or similar, and Round 5 vs Melbourne at 5pm on a Friday, which is still working hours... - this is because both games were scheduled in preference to pre-season games. This was reflected in their two attendances at those games - 4,000 approx. for the first, and 2,000 approx. for the second. For the only two games for an audience of 5 million for all the noise that the AFLW was making last season, those crowds were atrocious, and reflected the scheduling.

In contrast, GWS have three home games in Sydney this year, and at least are playing the first of those three at Drummoyne Oval, a lot more central. Their next games, whilst still at Blacktown, are at the more palatable times of 4.30 on a Sunday evening and another Friday Night game.

At the very least, GWS should be able to get around 20,000 to those three games, and I wouldn't be surprised if they got 25,000. A lot more impressive than their 6,000 across two games that brought down the league average.

Good post.

I suspect last year was a bit of an out-lier and this season will see more teams still in the hunt with 2 or 3 rounds to go.

Also, with Sydney last year I think they pretty much played a dead hand, not expecting much. Hopefully they pad out Drummoyne oval next week as it is far more accessible to the parts of Sydney where the game is popular. I suspect blacktown will be a harder fill though.

So Nicole Livingstone suggested that 800K tuned in for the Adelaide versus Brisbane game on Saturday night. Presumably this is a "reach" figure across 7, affiliates and foxtel. Not sure what that would translate to in averages but on face value it would be the best result in terms of ratings for the round

AFL.com reporting an expected crowd of around 10k at Hindmarsh stadium for AFLX.

You would think at least half of Etihad would be filled when 6 Melbourne based sides are playing the one night.

Surprised Essendon highest H/A crowd against Adelaide in Melbourne is 40,322 back in 2002, expect that to be broken in round 1.

AFL.com reporting an expected crowd of around 10k at Hindmarsh stadium for AFLX.

You would think at least half of Etihad would be filled when 6 Melbourne based sides are playing the one night.

Where did they say that? They'd almost bank 10k at Hindmarsh and 20k at etihad I reckon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To get 5,000 there last night, thunderstorms and all, was pretty good.

Even Fox ratings of 53k is good when you consider it was a pretty ordinary game (I'm starting to wonder whether Carlton is the common denominator here).
I was very surprised at the size of the crowd considering the weather and the GWS in Sydney Bodes well for the future of this comp

Had look at the womens soccer this arvo and a pretty ordinary crowd for the "world"game thats supposed to have a lot of females playing!

Surprised Essendon highest H/A crowd against Adelaide in Melbourne is 40,322 back in 2002, expect that to be broken in round 1.
Yeah for whatever reason, we don't seem to draw well against Adelaide in Melbourne compared to the other sides. We've had higher totals against all other interstate sides outside of the expansion sides. From memory, we also average more against every intestate side in Melbourne outside of the expansion sides, but maybe that might be to do with playing at Princes Park back in the day.

Should smash that total though

Yeah for whatever reason, we don't seem to draw well against Adelaide in Melbourne compared to the other sides. We've had higher totals against all other interstate sides outside of the expansion sides. From memory, we also average more against every intestate side in Melbourne outside of the expansion sides, but maybe that might be to do with playing at Princes Park back in the day.

Should smash that total though
I think its been a case of each others team being poor when the others been good. 2002 seems the only year both sides were good at the same time.

Had look at the womens soccer this arvo and a pretty ordinary crowd for the "world"game thats supposed to have a lot of females playing!
Seriously, can you not talk down soccer in one of your posts. it's beyond tiresome.

I wonder how much Perth Scorchers hurt the crowd. probably not much. Yeah, the new stadium would have helped numbers a lot but 41K is still a great news story for the AFLW regardless.

Sat crowds apart from the AFLW were all down. The International T20 against the Poms is a disgrace maybe 40,000 at the MCG considering the T20 is supposed to be the biggest crowd puller in cricket what happened today?
It wasnt that long ago the ODI matches at the G would pull 70 - 80,000.Is cricket losing its appeal?

The soccer at AAMI lucky to have 10,000 The Womens RU in Brisbane fire a gun and not hit anyone and the Womens soccer Syd v Newcastle a couple of thousand tops.

So 41,000 plus for the AFLW is a great crowd and the standard for once was pretty good.This comp over the next few seasons will go from strength to strength as there is clearly a big market for the womens game Well done to the AFL.

Last edited:
Sat crowds apart from the AFLW were all down. The International T20 against the Poms is a disgrace maybe 35,000 at the MCG
The soccer at AAMI lucky to have 10,000 The Womens RU in Brisbane fire a gun and not hit anyone and the Womens soccer Syd v Newcastle a couple of thousand tops.

So 41,000 plus for the AFLW is a great crowd and the standard for once was pretty good.This comp over the next few seasons will go from strength to strength as there is clearly a big market for the womens game Well done to the AFL.
Dont get to carried away, the T20 had a bigger crowd than the AFLW, and they had theater goers wanting to experience the new stadium. Reverse the venues and what crowds would you expect?

Remove this Banner Ad

2018 AFL Crowds & Ratings thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back