Play Nice 2024 Non AFL Crowds/Ratings and other Industry thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Sensitive aren't we.
https://archive.md/dVRhJ

If the NRL cannot fund a new team then they shouldn't expect anyone else to.
It sounds like the NRL are not at all confident about building an adequate support base from an entirely new Perth based franchise alone. Presumably as the Sydney team would provide insurance in the form of a ready made supporter base.

It sounds like the NRL are not at all confident about building an adequate support base from an entirely new Perth based franchise alone. Presumably as the Sydney team would provide insurance in the form of a ready made supporter base.

It all felt like it based on romance and sentiment, which PVL was happy to go along with because it was a popular choice for expansion.

It sounds like the NRL are not at all confident about building an adequate support base from an entirely new Perth based franchise alone.

Total opposite of an AFL expansion enterprise. More like hoping and a wishing.

Presumably as the Sydney team would provide insurance in the form of a ready made supporter base.

Huh?
The Bears had little support in the NSWRL. It would be much less now.
The Bears account for virtually nothing in Perth.
The consortium according to the SMH definitely didn't want the Bears.

Kane Cornes got champed by Sydney Morning Herald chief sports writer Andrew Webster: https://archive.md/dVRhJ

Meanwhile, the Perth Bears expansion bid is dead: https://archive.md/OOr1e

Kane was spot on the money and said what a lot of people think, but are too scared to say, due to the sookie backlash of the most insecure sports fans and media in the country. This comes after the sooking about robbos comments a few weeks earlier and the crickets in afl media world after Willie Mason said he was bored shitless at the afl gf.

On the Perth bid, it doesn't sound dead to me, it just sounds like pvl trying to extort more money outta the bids. They should tell them to go it alone, there is no chance the nrl will expand without their hands in the tax Aussie taxpayers jar though, they never pay for anything themselves.

Last edited:
So I guess that is a no. Didn't bother to provide any context or consider it as a relevant factor when simply using raw numbers.

Its a context which really only matters here, and folks here arent shy about making it known. Seven certainly dont care enough to even mention it, then again Seven appear to not care about the ratings for the Fox produced matches they have to contractually show either.

You can only watch was is shown, whatever the reason.

I’m very ignorant to sports franchise ownership, but I’m surprised that they’re expanding with privately owned teams? Surely that’s shakey ground and just asking for teams to be coming in and out of the comp through a revolving door?

It didn’t work at all in the afl in the 80s/90s, the a league has had such a fluctuation of teams that the integrity of the league is very poor (even compared to what it was in the opening five years), and havent there been nrl teams such as the Gold Coast titans that have gone into administration in recent years?

I was under the impression that several Sydney teams were only viable due to their ‘clubs’ and gambling, which I can imagine would not be appropriate for a new franchise trying to gain support in a new environment.

What private owner would be okay with investing so much money into such a long term prospect? Doesn’t the nrl then just get to reap the rewards of the expanded comp with no actual risk themselves?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m very ignorant to sports franchise ownership, but I’m surprised that they’re expanding with privately owned teams? Surely that’s shakey ground and just asking for teams to be coming in and out of the comp through a revolving door?

It didn’t work at all in the afl in the 80s/90s, the a league has had such a fluctuation of teams that the integrity of the league is very poor (even compared to what it was in the opening five years), and havent there been nrl teams such as the Gold Coast titans that have gone into administration in recent years?

I was under the impression that several Sydney teams were only viable due to their ‘clubs’ and gambling, which I can imagine would not be appropriate for a new franchise trying to gain support in a new environment.

What private owner would be okay with investing so much money into such a long term prospect? Doesn’t the nrl then just get to reap the rewards of the expanded comp with no actual risk themselves?

Large part of the NRL is privately owned teams - South Sydney, Manly, Gold Coast, Melbourne and Warriors

Dolphins, North Queensland, Cronulla, Newcastle, Penrith, Parramatta and Canberra are all owned by their leagues clubs. Easts and Canterbury to some extent heavily involved there too.

Brisbane is owned by shareholders.

Streaming Ratings 28/9-4/10

DateChannelPrimary DescriptionBVOD AudienceBVOD Reach
2/10/2024Fox LeagueLIVE: DALLY M AWARDS128,000220,000
2/10/2024Fox LeagueDALLY M RED CARPET84,000127,000
29/09/2024Fox Sports 506LIVE: MOTORSPORT: MOTOGP: INDONESIA RACE71,00085,000
29/09/2024Fox CricketLIVE: ODI: ENG V AUS G5 IN158,000181,000
29/09/2024Fox LeagueLIVE: NRLW: SF ROOSTERS V KNIGHTS47,00093,000
29/09/2024Fox LeagueLIVE: NRLW: SF BRONCOS V SHARKS44,00089,000
30/09/2024ESPNLIVE: NFL: RAVENS V BILLS36,00099,000
5/10/2024Fox Sports 506LIVE: MOTORSPORT: MOTOGP: JAPAN SPRINT RACE36,00066,000
29/09/2024Fox Sports 506LIVE: MOTORSPORT: MOTOGP: THE GRID32,00079,000