2018 AFL Crowds & Ratings thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Perhaps a touch unfair grouping
Well that's what's happening at the moment. Not only on here, but on the main board as well. We've had so many outlandish crowd predictions here about how Collingwood and Richmond will fill the MCG like no other team ever will. It was already ridiculous months ago.

Not saying every single Richmond and Collingwood fan have been that way, but it seems to be a trend.

Only 25,633 at North vs Sydney. Hard not to be disappointed with that.
Why are you disappointed? North throughout their VFL/AFL history have always been one of the worst crowd pullers.
Why would it all of a sudden change now?
The Collingwoods, Richmonds,Essendons and Carlton have decades of generational support the likes of North and WB dont even St Kilda with their poor record of 26 wooden spoons have a bigger fan base than North..

Last edited:
Richmond and Collingwood supporters are ruining this thread. There is a whole thread on this board that talks about Richmond vs Collingwood. Reminds me of the Richmond vs Hawthorn membership thread all those years ago.
It's really just a few supporters from each club. They should just be banned. Would make the thread a much better read.

Have you got any TV numbers from Friday night? Seems that TVTonight just didn't bother to post the numbers...

Have you got any TV numbers from Friday night? Seems that TVTonight just didn't bother to post the numbers...

2018AFLTV-R17.png
Note: Regionals are calculated at 31% of the metro total, except in Queensland where regionals are frequently the same if not higher than the metro total. Metro figures highlighted in yellow werent published - these are an average of the last 3 matches for that team in that timeslot. Fox figures highlighted in blue were shown on Foxsports 3.

View attachment 528255
Note: Regionals are calculated at 31% of the metro total, except in Queensland where regionals are frequently the same if not higher than the metro total. Metro figures highlighted in yellow werent published - these are an average of the last 3 matches for that team in that timeslot. Fox figures highlighted in blue were shown on Foxsports 3.

Great work Wookie, miss these tables!

Ratings seem to be holding up pretty solidly after earlier in the year

If I were the AFL/7/Foxtel I would be doing anything to make Thursday night football part of every round next year. Does extremely well ratings wise and doesn’t seem to have had an adverse impact on crowds.

Reckon if they spread the bye throughout the year to just involving the sides playing the Thursday night (either before or after) it could be done.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If I were the AFL/7/Foxtel I would be doing anything to make Thursday night football part of every round next year. Does extremely well ratings wise and doesn’t seem to have had an adverse impact on crowds.

Reckon if they spread the bye throughout the year to just involving the sides playing the Thursday night (either before or after) it could be done.

There are two challenges

1. The clubs / AFLPA and their aversion to the 5 day break
2. The existing TV deal's allocation of broadcast games

I thought that Chris' Judd's idea from a few weeks back was a good one. Two Friday games where channel 7 could pick the best one (overall and for each market) and foxtel having one exclusively.

If we still wanted Saturday night and Sunday arvo FTA though it would require a renogiation with CH7 likely having to compensate foxtel somewhat

IT is now two months since a program that wasn’t news, sport or the royal wedding — cracked the magic million mark when it comes to big city ratings on Australian TV.

So where are the viewers going after 7.30pm?

It must be baffling for networks — people will tune in for news, and the occasional TV ‘event’, but then tune out to get their nightly entertainment fix elsewhere in the competitive new media environment.

Both Nine and Seven’s news broadcasts usually get around a million viewers each, each night. That’s two million people switching on. Some viewers hang on for some neighbour from hell or bogan love rat action on A Current Affair.

The news can’t be streamed on Netflix and people still watch it over dinner — it’s comfort (or discomfort) TV for families.

But once that’s over, the TV landscape has all changed.

Putting sport (well, State of Origin and Australia in the World Cup) and Hazza and Meg’s nuptials aside, My Kitchen Rules, way back on May 13, was the last time a program that aired at 7.30pm hit a million viewers.

In 2018, a million viewers is the new two million viewers.
https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/rend...e/news-story/b04b827546ba418332992fd2510d03af

Although not sport related it does explain why TV ratings for most sports are on the decline. People have so much choice now. If the AFL game is boring people have plenty of other entertainment options. Interesting times ahead, especially for the next TV rights deal.

Have they found a way to accurately measure time shifted viewing yet? Obviously wouldn't have expected live sport to be as impacted (although I watch the majority of Swans games on record because trying to watch them live with a young family is very difficult), but between DVRs and smart TVs having immediate access to catch up services this would have a big impact.

MCG predicting Collingwood's game against North to equal the Eagles match - 53k.

Can it push upwards of 60K? I think 55K sounds about right but if u get the weather u got V the eagles its possible it could push more.

Tiges V saints maddies match, this is just a guesstimate but i wouldn't be at all surprised if it hit 45K (would be great if it did).
I think the sainters winning helps and its their home game for this special match, tiges on top so we'll be there and i must say our fans have supported this game since its inception.

Tiges V saints maddies match, this is just a guesstimate but i wouldn't be at all surprised if it hit 45K (would be great if it did).
I think the sainters winning helps and its their home game for this special match, tiges on top so we'll be there and i must say our fans have supported this game since its inception.

St Kilda v Richmond normally pull decent crowds regardless of who's home game it is even before Maddies Match.

Last two Maddies games have drawn 47k and 45k.

Can it push upwards of 60K? I think 55K sounds about right but if u get the weather u got V the eagles its possible it could push more.

It might nudge 60,000 if the weather is ok.

I think 60k is probably unlikely, just because of how rare it is for North's games to get that high. This is a list of all of their 60k+ crowds and the ladder positions at the time:

upload_2018-7-18_13-11-52.png

This week it's 3rd v 9th which isn't bad but also isn't the top 4 battle most of those are. Even two of the times featuring a 7th or 8th placed club were last round clashes deciding who made the finals.

Attachments

• upload_2018-7-18_13-5-6.png
    upload_2018-7-18_13-5-6.png
    8.4 KB · Views: 147
Crowds to end of R17 by year

Year|Avg Att|Diff|Gms
\2018|34,694|+321|144
\2017|34,373|+1,986|144
\2016|32,387|-329|144
\2015|32,716|+281|143
\2014|32,435|+192|144
\2013|32,243|-210|144