2018 Best 22

Remove this Banner Ad

Ollie is one of the most exciting kids we’ve had on the list in the last 10 years, IMO, and I really hope he can put it all together, because his glimpses have been electric.

Really???

I like him but he is very light and looked the goods in a very bruise free game.

He know doubt has talent but a kid making decisions and weaving through some traffic in an open game, is not a great reflection of what they would be in a tight final. Gary Rohan is the perfect example of this...

Last ten years... in that time we've nabbed Rioli, Burgoyne, Tom Mitchell, Breust, O'Meara, Sicily, Burton, Shiels, Smith, Hill, Stratton, Suckling, Howe, Hardwick...

Really???

I like him but he is very light and looked the goods in a very bruise free game.

He know doubt has talent but a kid making decisions and weaving through some traffic in an open game, is not a great reflection of what they would be in a tight final. Gary Rohan is the perfect example of this...

Last ten years... in that time we've nabbed Rioli, Burgoyne, Tom Mitchell, Breust, O'Meara, Sicily, Burton, Shiels, Smith, Hill, Stratton, Suckling, Howe, Hardwick...
Gary Rohan never looks good full stop, no idea were people get this idea from. Even in home and away games he struggle to get the ball and use it well.

B: Hardwick, Brand, Stratton
HB: Burton, Frawley, Birchall
C: Smith, Mitchell, Henderson
HF: Sicily, Schoenmakers, Breust
F: Rioli, Roughead, Gunston
R: McEvoy, O'Meara, Burgoyne

INT: Howe, Shiels, Puopolo, Impey

depth Glass*, Cousins*, Morrison, Heatherley, Hanrahan*, Duryea, Ceglar

The Rest (outcasts/squad depth or developing)
Vickery, Whitecross, Langford, O'Rourke, Miles, Pittonet, Lovell, Lewis, Willsmore*, Nash*

Last edited:
As silly as it sounds, I am genuinely the most excited leading into a new season than I have been in a while (and yes even during the premiership off-seasons)...

Many would feel the same. Premiership off seasons come with a lot of pressure and high expectation. An off season like this is rare. Following the terrible season start last year, we showed some very good signs in the back half of the season and a few of our younger pick ups could be great players.

I still have a worry for the next 2 years, mainly because Mitchell & Hodge, and to a lesser extent Lewis and Gibson, are generational type players and not easily replaced.

With Titch in there we could bounce back quickly, we need JOM and JOR to really come on. If those 2 fire this year we could rocket back into contention.

2018:
C: Smith, Mitchell, Impey

INT: Howe, Shiels, Puopolo, O'Rourke

Depth: Lovell, Cousins, Morrison, Henderson, O'Brien, Langford, Heatherley, Hanrahan, Duryea, Ceglar, Whitecross, Vickery

On a side note -
We really have gone Irish - even if it is mainly by name - might start calling us the Celtics.
O'Brien, O'Rourke, O'Meara, Hanrahan, McEvoy, Nash, Glass. Sounds like the cast of an Irish soap opera

Last edited:
Many would feel the same. Premiership off seasons come with a lot of pressure and high expectation. An off season like this is rare. Following the terrible season start last year, we showed some very good signs in the back half of the season and a few of our younger pick ups could be great players.

I still have a worry for the next 2 years, mainly because Mitchell & Hodge, and to a lesser extent Lewis and Gibson, are generational type players and not easily replaced.

With Titch in there we could bounce back quickly, we need JOM and JOR to really come on. If those 2 fire this year we could rocket back into contention.

2018:

Depth: Lovell, Cousins, Morrison, Henderson, Langford, Heatherley, Hanrahan, Duryea, Ceglar, Whitecross, Vickery

Nah I preferred the 2013, 2014 & 2015 off seasons if I'm being honest.

Nah I preferred the 2013, 2014 & 2015 off seasons if I'm being honest.
I preferred the 2013, 2014 and 2015 seasons proper, but prefer this off season. I like the excitement of not being the chased for once. Also really exciting to see what Clarko can do. I feel like we are only half way into his genius and success with the club. I strongly believe he will deliver at least one more flag before travelling to take up coaching another sport.

I preferred the 2013, 2014 and 2015 seasons proper, but prefer this off season. I like the excitement of not being the chased for once. Also really exciting to see what Clarko can do. I feel like we are only half way into his genius and success with the club. I strongly believe he will deliver at least one more flag before travelling to take up coaching another sport.

I must admit I felt this way 12 months ago heading into the season just gone.

Now that trade period has past, and I've creepily looked at all of our 2015-2016 players draft profiles, I've become convinced that Morrison is gonna be our new wing option.

Not a bad theory. Reading this from Knightmare back in May last year.

24. Harry Morrison (VIC)
Best position: Half-back flank
Height, weight: 182cm, 73kg
Recruited from: Murray Bushrangers
Plays like: Bachar Houli
Projected draft range: second to third round
Profile: Morrison is a back flanker who does great damage by foot with his efficient and penetrating kicks. He also is willing to take the game on with his run, showing good pace, but also the ability to avoid tacklers through skilfully showing the ball to opponents on the move and going the other way.

And from AFL Draft Central

#48 Harry Morrison
Outside Midfielder (Murray Bushrangers/Vic Country)
12/11/1998 | 181.5cm | 77.6kg

It’s been a tough two-year block for Harry Morrison. Morrison suffered an ACL injury in 2014 that resulted in him missing the Under 16s carnival, before an injury to his back saw him miss the Under 18 carnival this season. His form throughout the season at the Murray Bushrangers has been solid, without starring in any particular games. He looks best suited to playing across half back or on a wing – thanks to his outstanding kick and his decision making. Morrison is composed with the ball in hand across half back, reading the play well before disposing of it well off his right boot. Morrison is not the quickest player out on the ground and it may be an area of focus if he can get a run at it without injuries.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

B: Sicily Brand Stratton
HB: Birchall Frawley Hardwick
C: Smith Burton Morrison
HF: Rioli Gunston O'Brien
F: Burgoyne Roughead Breust
Fol: McEvoy Mitchell O'Meara
Int: Impey Sheils Puopolo Howe
Emg: Lovell Ceglar Shoenmakers

Cousins, Glass and Hanrahan to get games at some stage. Hopefully O'Rourke if he can get over injuries.

B:Stratton Frawley Hardwick
HB:Birchall Burton Sicily
C:Smith Mitchell Sheils
HF:Burgoyne Gunston Impey
F:Rioli Roughhead Bruest
R:McEvoy Howe O'mera

INT: Obrien Glass Puopolo Ceglar

Last edited:
If you break it down there's some significant inclusions in the back-line, midfield and forward-line going into 2018. Hopefully this means that some of our key players can go back to their original roles that will strengthen the team like Gunston for example to center half forward and Roughead at full forward.

I hope we don't ever see that ridiculous four man forward-line set-up that had a negative impact on last season. When you are ranked last in marks inside 50, inside 50s and points per game it should send a clear message to the coaching staff that you play your best forwards in the forward half of the ground.

With the return of Frawley, Birchall and Stratton, on top of the emergence of Burton and Sicily, there is absolutely zero reason for Gunston to be spending any time whatsoever across half back in 2018. This is a 50 goal a year key forward/half forward who's a proven match-winner that should be playing in the forward-line.

If there's one player who I think that will take his game to another level next year and improve significantly it's Daniel Howe. Ever since he moved into the midfield last year the teams clearance and contested possession count went up a fair bit. He has the talent and ability to one day become a full time midfielder.

I think Glass and Morrison are probably another 1 or 2 years away from becoming best 22 material.

Back-line
IN: Frawley, Birchall, Stratton

Midfield
IN: O'Meara, Impey, Ceglar

Forward-line
IN: Gunston, Roughead, Rioli

What I'd like to see Round 1

B: Stratton, Frawley, Hardwick

HB: Birchall, Brand, Sicily

C: Impey, Mitchell, Smith

HF: Burton, Gunston, Rioli

F: Breust, Roughead, Puopolo

INT: Shiels, Ceglar, O'Brien, Howe

Depth

Duryea - 101 games
Whitecross - 105 games
O'Rourke - 18 games
Schoenmakers - 112 games
Vickery - 125 games
Langford - 66 games
Henderson - 108 games
Heatherley - 5 games
Lovell - 2 games
Miles - 4 games
Pittonet - 3 games
Willsmore - 2 games
Glass - 6 games
Cousins - 3 games

If you break it down there's some significant inclusions in the back-line, midfield and forward-line going into 2018. Hopefully this means that some of our key players can go back to their original roles that will strengthen the team like Gunston for example to center half forward and Roughead at full forward.

I hope we don't ever see that ridiculous four man forward-line set-up that had a negative impact on last season. When you are ranked last in marks inside 50, inside 50s and points per game it should send a clear message to the coaching staff that you play your best forwards in the forward half of the ground.

With the return of Frawley, Birchall and Stratton, on top of the emergence of Burton and Sicily, there is absolutely zero reason for Gunston to be spending any time whatsoever across half back in 2018. This is a 50 goal a year key forward/half forward who's a proven match-winner that should be playing in the forward-line.

If there's one player who I think that will take his game to another level next year and improve significantly it's Daniel Howe. Ever since he moved into the midfield last year the teams clearance and contested possession count went up a fair bit. He has the talent and ability to one day become a full time midfielder.

I think Glass and Morrison are probably another 1 or 2 years away from becoming best 22 material.

Back-line
IN: Frawley, Birchall, Stratton

Midfield
IN: O'Meara, Impey, Ceglar

Forward-line
IN: Gunston, Roughead, Rioli

What I'd like to see Round 1

B: Stratton, Frawley, Hardwick

HB: Birchall, Brand, Sicily

C: Impey, Mitchell, Smith

HF: Burton, Gunston, Rioli

F: Breust, Roughead, Puopolo

INT: Shiels, Ceglar, O'Brien, Howe

Depth

Duryea - 101 games
Whitecross - 105 games
O'Rourke - 18 games
Schoenmakers - 112 games
Vickery - 125 games
Langford - 66 games
Henderson - 108 games
Heatherley - 5 games
Lovell - 2 games
Miles - 4 games
Pittonet - 3 games
Willsmore - 2 games
Glass - 6 games
Cousins - 3 games
Love this team and even think that it’s a “likely team”.

Maybe a tad tall though?

Now that trade period has past, and I've creepily looked at all of our 2015-2016 players draft profiles, I've become convinced that Morrison is gonna be our new wing option.

Not ready for mine. I'd have Glass over him in the best 22.

2018:

Depth: Lovell, Cousins, Morrison, Henderson, O'Brien, Langford, Heatherley, Hanrahan, Duryea, Ceglar, Whitecross, Vickery

On a side note -
We really have gone Irish - even if it is mainly by name - might start calling us the Celtics.
O'Brien, O'Rourke, O'Meara, Hanrahan, McEvoy, Nash, Glass. Sounds like the cast of an Irish soap opera
Hopefully we don’t get 0’ Flags

For me Sicily has to play back given what he showed this year and despite the inclusion of Frawley Stratton and Birchall.

Burton to play further up the ground perhaps 50/50 mid forward time.

Impey on the opposite wing to Smith.

Morrisson/Glass/Lovell/Henderson/O'Rourke all fighting for 1 spot if we are fully fit.

Remove this Banner Ad

2018 Best 22

Remove this Banner Ad

Back