Team Mgmt. 2018 Best 22

Remove this Banner Ad

It’s amazing how much can change after 3 weeks and I’m expecting more to change over the next few rounds. I would enjoy seeing at some stage in the year..

Ridley Hooker Francis
McKenna Hurley Saad
McGrath Merrett Mutch
Stringer Stewart Smith
Fantasia Daniher Tipungwuti
Bellchambers Heppell Laverde
Langford Parish Zaharakis Redman

The last spot is up for grabs but settled on Redman due to versatility. I think the backline obviously has plenty of intercept marking ability (something we are sorely missing). It’s also full of good ball users. Ridley has the ability to play tall and small. The midfield is a bit of hope that Laverde gets a good run at it, Langford can find that drive to make it and I think the purest of midfielders on our list in Mutch can make the step up to AFL grade. The big push needs to be for players that can run both ways and defend, if players can’t do that then they need to be dropped, simple. The forward line looks more balanced and I would encourage Stewart to get on his bike more and be the hit up target more. Clear out the 50 for Joe, Stringer and the smalls.

It’s amazing how much can change after 3 weeks and I’m expecting more to change over the next few rounds. I would enjoy seeing at some stage in the year..

Ridley Hooker Francis
McKenna Hurley Saad
McGrath Merrett Mutch
Stringer Stewart Smith
Fantasia Daniher Tipungwuti
Bellchambers Heppell Laverde
Langford Parish Zaharakis Redman

The last spot is up for grabs but settled on Redman due to versatility. I think the backline obviously has plenty of intercept marking ability (something we are sorely missing). It’s also full of good ball users. Ridley has the ability to play tall and small. The midfield is a bit of hope that Laverde gets a good run at it, Langford can find that drive to make it and I think the purest of midfielders on our list in Mutch can make the step up to AFL grade. The big push needs to be for players that can run both ways and defend, if players can’t do that then they need to be dropped, simple. The forward line looks more balanced and I would encourage Stewart to get on his bike more and be the hit up target more. Clear out the 50 for Joe, Stringer and the smalls.

Gleeson & Ambrose for Francis & Ridley & you’ve got a best 22.

Watching the game last night, I think the performance Stephenson put in for Collingwood is exactly what we'd be getting from Langford if we just left him on the HFF with short bursts in the middle. Obviously neither is going to average five goals, but I think Langford could be a 40 goal a year forward if we gave him a consistent run.

Drop Green, give Goddard a few weeks off, send McGrath back to the HBF (we know he's going to be a star), and give Langford, Clarke and Mutch a month. I don't think it's too much to demand at least three tackles from everyone in the 22. You don't pressure? You don't play. I don't think this year is a total write off (it's round 4) but I do think other clubs are going to come for the talented kids (especially Langford... and if he's traded for pick 57 I'll probably have an aneurysm) that we inexplicably refuse to play. Give this 22 a run, we might lose for a month but at least we'll have some idea of whether or not the kids are up to it.

FB: Ambrose - Hurley - Saad
HBF: McGrath - Hooker - McKenna
C: Merrett - Clarke - Zaharakis
R: Bellchambers - Smith - Mutch
HFF: Langford - Daniher - Fantasia
FF: Tipungwuti - Stringer - Stewart
IC: Parish - Heppell - Laverde - Redman

Francis, McNiece, Begley, Hartley, Jerrett next in line. Gleeson walks right back in when he's fit.

It’s happening...

Slowly but surely it’s happening

In the next 10 weeks I'd like to see us end up playing a month or so of footy with:

Saad - Hurley - Goddard
Redman - Hooker - McKenna

Bellchambers - Heppell - Merrett
Myers - Zaharakis - Smith

Laverde - Daniher - Fantasia
Stringer - Stewart - McDonald-Tipungwuti

McGrath - Parish - two of Begley/Langford/Guelfi/Clarke/Mutch/Ridley/Hartley/Ambrose

Yes, the last positions on the bench are a complete cop-out but it's more a reflection of the reality that injuries, form and match-ups will require different things. Hartley and Ridley should take Goddard's spot if Goddard has to miss, Ambrose takes Hurley's spot, etc. If form were not a factor this week, I'd probably have Hartley in the team if Collingwood were to play Moore, Reid and Cox. Neither Hurley or Goodard is a particularly good match-up for any of those three.

I'd prefer not to have departed from playing three key forwards and three key defenders but I'll concede if that's what it takes to make a few other changes. Hooker back and Stringer forward notionally frees up two spots which would otherwise be covered with key/third tall defenders. The problem with Ambrose, Hartley and Brown is that they're not commanding selection and those spots could be better used elsewhere.

I think that getting Redman into the side is essential because it gives greater flexibility of running players who are also defenders. Ultimately I'd want to have a bench of small-mid sized player two of whom rotate between midfield and forward and two who rotate in defence and forward.

A week ago Myers wouldn't have been in the team though now that he's found some. There is no place for Myers except for the middle of the ground.

I'm only thinking in terms of the next 10 weeks because of the slow(ish) starts to the year made by Daniher, Stringer, Merrett, Tippa, Fantasia and the injury to Gleeson. It may well be time to revert to the original plan as the season progresses and players form and fitness improves.

Sorry to bump, but thought it'd be interesting to revisit this after actually seeing Guelfi, Ridley, Redman, Mutch etc play some AFL football. Theoretically our best 22 could look like this by Round 23... how's the marking power across half back? Backline looks a little tall on paper but most of the bench runs through there, and pretty much all of the flankers.

B: Saad - Hurley - Ridley
HB: Gleeson - Hooker - Francis
C: Zaharakis - Heppell - McGrath
R: Bellchambers - Merrett - Smith
HF: Fantasia - Daniher - Langford
F: Stringer - Stewart - Guelfi

Redman - McKenna - Parish - Walla/Laverde/Mutch/Begley?

Sorry to bump, but thought it'd be interesting to revisit this after actually seeing Guelfi, Ridley, Redman, Mutch etc play some AFL football. Theoretically our best 22 could look like this by Round 23... how's the marking power across half back? Backline looks a little tall on paper but most of the bench runs through there, and pretty much all of the flankers.

B: Saad - Hurley - Ridley
HB: Gleeson - Hooker - Francis
C: Zaharakis - Heppell - McGrath
R: Bellchambers - Merrett - Smith
HF: Fantasia - Daniher - Langford
F: Stringer - Stewart - Guelfi

Redman - McKenna - Parish - Walla/Laverde/Mutch/Begley?
Balance is a little off, unless they're playing Redman off a wing. Walla definitely plays, it's a question of Laverde vs Parish.

At this time of year, with finals looking quite unlikely and a genuine tilt basically out of the question, it almost becomes a case of which 22 we should be playing with an eye to next year. I'd like to see this at the moment:

B: Francis - Hurley - McKenna
HB: Goddard - Hooker - Saad
C: Langford - Guelfi - McGrath
HF: Smith - Stewart - Tipungwuti
F: Fantasia - McKernan - Stringer
R: Bellchambers - Heppell - Merrett
I: Clarke - Parish - Redman - Laverde

Assumes Colyer, Gleeson, Daniher, Zaka and Begley are injured.

At this time of year, with finals looking quite unlikely and a genuine tilt basically out of the question, it almost becomes a case of which 22 we should be playing with an eye to next year. I'd like to see this at the moment:

You're assuming Colyer is injured, despite playing yesterday, and Parish isn't, despite being out until round 19?

With Ridley, Redman and Francis all coming good and Gleeson to come back from injury how do we fit them all in the side. Especially with Hooker back, Hurley an AA CHB and Saad and McKenna locks for the 22. Eight does not fit into six. Could two of them be tall wingers who become a marking option out wide and essential to team defence?

Personally, I'd love that. With Langford on the ball and Laverde/Stringer playing forward with midfield minutes it solves our lack of size in the middle. Merrett and Smith can just be terriers around the pack, especially with Merretts telling disposal, it would make a great combination. I have been a Myers supporter in the past, but I'd prefer this option than him. Gives us a lot of mobility and marking power all over the ground.

With Ridley, Redman and Francis all coming good and Gleeson to come back from injury how do we fit them all in the side. Especially with Hooker back, Hurley an AA CHB and Saad and McKenna locks for the 22. Eight does not fit into six. Could two of them be tall wingers who become a marking option out wide and essential to team defence?

Personally, I'd love that. With Langford on the ball and Laverde/Stringer playing forward with midfield minutes it solves our lack of size in the middle. Merrett and Smith can just be terriers around the pack, especially with Merretts telling disposal, it would make a great combination. I have been a Myers supporter in the past, but I'd prefer this option than him. Gives us a lot of mobility and marking power all over the ground.
Ridley looks like he still needs to improve his body shape/size for regular AFL

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So for 2019 I'd like:

HB: Ridley - Hooker - Saad
C: Gleeson - Langford - Redman
HF: Smith - Daniher - Stewart
F: Tipungwuti - Stringer - Fantasia
I: McGrath- Guelfi- Laverde - Zaka

Emerg: Begley - Parish - McKernan

Depth: Myers, Colyer, Brown, Draper (will be better again), Mutch, Clarke, 1st rounder

I reckon that's a pretty good side. 32 solid footballers. Who am I missing?

I'm going to buck the trend and say that I still want Ambrose in the side. He's played really well this year and its good having a key defender that you can trust to just lock down his man. I've also been impressed with how much he's improved his decision making coming out of the back half. Sure he doesn't break the lines but he picks good options and hits targets reliably. I thought his effort against Cameron whilst carrying a calf injury was pretty impressive.

In an imaginary world where we made finals and everyone was fit this is what I'd like the team to be:

HB: Gleeson - Ambrose - Saad
C: Parish - Langford - Goddard
HF: Smith - Daniher - Stringer
F: Tipungwuti - Hooker - Fantasia
I: McGrath - Guelfi- Begley - Zaka

Emerg: Laverde - Redman - Mutch

I've moved Hooker back up forward as I reckon we can make do in the backline without him but our forward line really lacks a guy that can stand there and wrestle to take a contested grab. Plus if we have Gleeson and Francis providing intercept marking whilst Hurley and Ambrose take the best 2 talls then we should be able to cover that area.

Out of the whole team I'd have Parish and Langford as the guys most at risk. I'd back Redman and Mutch to put a ton of pressure on and potentially even pass Parish and Langford. Begley obviously would be out injured so Laverde comes in for him but I definitely prefer Begley over Laverde every day of the week just for his kicking at goal alone.

Not sure about Ridley vs Francis. Francis is a better option against teams with really tall forward lines that run with 3 genuine KP/ruck sized players like GWS or West Coast. Ridley would be better against other teams that player smaller forward lines. Probably just depends on the opponents. We also have yet to see Francis in action at AFL level this year so I might be optimistic here.

Our defense is the interesting area. In a game that's starting to lend itself to smalls, we would likely like to play a lot of
Hurley
Hooker
Ambrose
Ridley
Francis

With Gleeson, redman (and Zork-thatcher eventually) all probably tall enough to play the 3rd tall role.

It's interesting. But it's also a worry. I can see us playing Hurley and hooker regardless of form for the next couple years at least.
I'd argue Ambrose is probably close to our best "defender".
Then we simply need to be playing Francis and Ridley, a) because they deserve it but b) because we need to start them before the ages of 23-24.

I don't have the answer. All I do know is if I were Hartley id be asking to play forward in the VFL for the rest of the year

2019 Best 22:
B: Francis - Hooker - Saad
HB: Ridley - Hurley - McKenna
C: Redman - Heppell - McGrath
HF: Zaharakis - Daniher - Smith
F: Fantasia - Stewart - Walla
R: Bellchambers - Langford - Stringer
I/C: Merrett - Gleeson - Guelfi - Parish/Laverde

2019 Best 22

B: Francis Hooker Saad
HB: McGrath Hurley Redman
C: Zaharakis Stringer Heppell
HF: Fantasia Daniher Smith
F: Tippa Stewart McKenna
R: Bellchambers Langford Z Merrett
I/C: Parish Laverde Begely Ridley

I would like to see McKenna go back into a forward line that has been down on frontal pressure. He is a natural goal kicker, pace to burn and has just been a bit down this season after Woosha shut him down/confused him after the Freo game.

This:thumbsu:

I definitely want Ambrose in there. I can't believe I forgot my man. I think we could trade away one of Hurley or Hooker too. I was reading today that Sydney is very keen on McGovern as a replacement for Grundy.
It literally could not happen -he doesn't even answer his door at all during trade week.

I remember when Hooker resigned in 2016 after weeks and weeks of Beegfootay and media alike saying how the suspended players were never coming back, and how relieving it was that one of the ones everyone said was gone showed faith. No way I'd trade him after that.

I remember when Hooker resigned in 2016 after weeks and weeks of Beegfootay and media alike saying how the suspended players were never coming back, and how relieving it was that one of the ones everyone said was gone showed faith. No way I'd trade him after that.
While I agree with the sentiment, and he was the first "big" name to sign back on, it was actually Buddha who was the first. Funny how history sometimes gets a rewrite...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back