Certified Legendary Thread 2018 Grand Final : West Coast v Collingwood - Wooden Spooners to win Flag

Remove this Banner Ad

Darling really copped it in that thread

If the ball went down the other end and Collingwood goaled and held on - don't think he would ever recover from that.

Fortunately it didn't and he improved his game even further in 2019 and has now added All Australian to his resume.

In his auto-biography he'll look back on that moment and laugh.

If the ball went down the other end and Collingwood goaled and held on - don't think he would ever recover from that.

Fortunately it didn't and he improved his game even further in 2019 and has now added All Australian to his resume.

In his auto-biography he'll look back on that moment and laugh.
He copped it much less for dropping that mark than he did for being quiet in the first half.

Apparently the first five goals conceded were Darling’s fault

I was at the Grand Final and though Darling dropped the mark it did lock the ball down our end. I’ve played that scenario in my head many times and thought that if he marked and kicked the goal it may have resulted in us losing. WTF, you are correctly asking. Ok here we go. Darling immediately kicks the goal after marking it and we are further in front. We don’t have the play wasting seconds after he drops the mark and Shuey doesn’t get the 30 seconds to hold up the game . We don’t know how exhausted our guys are and they relax a little because it’s in the bag. The ball goes to the middle, Grundy wins the ruck, gets it to Degoey and he kicks a goal. Is there enough time for a second goal? Maybe, as Collingwood showed in the opening minutes of the last quarter that they were capable of kicking two quick goals. Who knows it could have been after the siren. Oh well, that’s my glass half full theory. It doesn’t matter though, we won, and coulda, woulda, shoulda is not relevant.

Last edited:
05da8db0f380fdeabb5ef193c2bda502.jpg

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I was at the Grand Final and though Darling dropped the mark it did lock the ball down our end. I’ve played that scenario in my head many times and thought that if he marked and kicked the goal it may have resulted in us losing. WTF, you are correctly asking. Ok here we go. Darling immediately kicks the goal after marking it and we are further in front. We don’t have the play wasting seconds after he drops the mark and Shuey doesn’t get the 30 seconds to hold up the game . We don’t know how exhausted our guys are and they relax a little because it’s in the bag. The ball goes to the middle, Grundy wins the ruck, gets it to Degoey and he kicks a goal. Is there enough time for a second goal? Maybe, as Collingwood showed in the opening minutes of the last quarter that they were capable of kicking two quick goals. Who knows it could have been after the siren. Oh well, that’s my glass half full theory. It doesn’t matter though, we won, and coulda, woulda, shoulda is not relevant.
It's not often mentioned, but shortly after the dropped mark, Jeremy Howe was dead set caught holding the ball in the
goal square when tackled by Rioli.

Like the non-fifty meters not given to Cripps for going into the protected area, nothing was said.

It's not often mentioned, but shortly after the dropped mark, Jeremy Howe was dead set caught holding the ball in the

Like the non-fifty meters not given to Cripps for going into the protected area, nothing was said.
Howe didn't really have prior opportunity tbf

I will let that one go given the timing in the match and it was a bit line ball. The worst one was in the second or third quarter where he also got nailed and it was dead set (he had prior and dragged it in). Umps let it go forever and then called a ball up.

Overall the Darling dropped mark just added to the drama of the whole thing. Meant I couldn't actually celebrate until the match finished. So much more exciting than the snore fest that was the 2019 GF.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Those calls are usually let go in finals though.
Shuey had two red hot HTB's that were called against him little earlier in the game.

But its all schematics really. De Goey sitting in the goal square is what won it for us. If he wasn't there, we might never have seen that horrible torpie attempt.

Take the blinders off gaiz, no way was that HTB against Howe. Especially not in the last 2 minutes of a grand final.

Sheesh, after the Sheed non decision the ferals would have totally lynched the umpires if we got gifted a charity HTB after Darling made a meal of a certain goal.

This premiership of 2018 is the best of all. In 94, 92 and 2006 we had star power all over the place. Whilst the 2018 team had some stars it was a lot of role driven players doing heir bits and pieces.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back