Certified Legendary Thread 2018 Grand Final : West Coast v Collingwood - Wooden Spooners to win Flag

Remove this Banner Ad

I’ve been to all our grand finals and the 2018 one is my favourite, though 1992 is very close. I think what always annoyed me were Victorians who have belittled all our premierships. After 1992 all I heard was that we had only beaten Geelong and not a Melbourne team. Same thing in 1994 and then it was because we were a state team. 2006 we still hadn’t beaten a Melbourne team. In 2018 we finally beat a MCG tenant but to them we had only beaten a team that were known grand final chokers. In 2020 I’d love the Eagles to beat Richmond so there are no excuses.

I think the 2018 flag is extra special because nobody (other than 1 god) predicted it would happen.

We were all excited about our new look team without Priddis, Mitchell etc, but i think we all agreed we'd be dropping straight out of the eight with a fresh on-ball brigade. Ah Chee was even going to get regular games in the guts, according to us, that's how much we knew.

Nekminnut, new stadium, nicnat back, played the kids, and come out all guns blazing with some players having career best years.

Happy 5 year anniversary guys and gals

Edit: Hi BigVic 😘

sheed-dom.gif

Last edited:

Nice bump

Little snippet from the OP

Omens, I'll give you Omens

The Good -

• Since joining the comp we've won a flag in every year of the dog - 1994 and 2006. 2018 is the year of the dog and fills a nice sequence - 1994, 2006, 2018
  • We've only lost Grand Finals in odd years (91,05,15) and won in even years - 1992 1994 2006 2018
  • Our two premiership coaches won their second GF after losing their first. Simmo has got his loss out of the way
The next year of the dog is 2030

A flag in 2030 would give us premierships in 1992, 1994, 2006, 2018 and 2030

Simpson’s contract ends in 2025 with the expectation we’ll have a new coach for 2026. If that happens, 2030 will be the 5th year of the new coach

The only downside of this prophecy is that we’d need to lose a GF in either 2027 or 2029. But I’ll take that

Bring on 2030

The old grand final marathon of the 90s was the best. They’d do “That was the season that was” then some old games throughout the night, into the TAC cup and some other junior games at the G first thing in the morning. As a kid, I remember setting up a mattress infront of the TV and just staying up as long as I could. Beginning of the school holidays as well. Simpler times ay.

The old grand final marathon of the 90s was the best. They’d do “That was the season that was” then some old games throughout the night, into the TAC cup and some other junior games at the G first thing in the morning. As a kid, I remember setting up a mattress infront of the TV and just staying up as long as I could. Beginning of the school holidays as well. Simpler times ay.
Yep. Exactly what I did as well. Loved it.
Would fall a sleep during the old GF's and wake up very early during the in colour GF's.

The couple I remember was 1992 - Chris Mainwaring hosted it (obviously pre-taped otherwise he didn't get a lot of sleep before the big game). And then the following year they had "Paul Salmon and friends". Unless years are off, but that's how I remember it. The Paul Salmon one was great because they showed the 1982 grand final with the streaker.

I do remember them becoming pretty boring each year with the same games shown before they branched out into other finals. They still showed a lot of the same ones and often it was a slog getting through the initial ones (always 1966, 1967, 1970 etc) with loooooong ad breaks, that by the time they'd get to the more interesting obscure finals in colour, I'd have fallen asleep.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back