Mega Thread 2018 List Management, Free Agency & Trade thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Interesting article. I would be surprised if clubs aren't studying the long term draft stats hard to figure some of the best strategies for our game. One thing that I would love to know with that sort of data is if teams only down-trade when they have a lot of list spots to fill and opportunity for youngsters? If this actually drives some of the results rather than getting one high profile pick in without much back-up?

I think drafting is a bit like nature vs nurture. The high Draft aspect gets you the better shot at the nature side but it's only 50% of the story. The nurture being the club culture, opportunity to play, personal fit for the group, mentoring, pressure. That will mould a player as much as anything so I think it is a bit false of some of these articles to lay blame solely at draft night for a player or players not making it.

That was just a summary of a in depth study , you can find the whole package if you want , it has heaps of graphs and tables and stuff

The guy who put that article together missed some of the conclusions of the study , if I remember correctly the researchers concluded that if you are short of superstars then take as many low picks as you can and turn over players till you find them and once you have your stars stay at the top end and fill in the role players around them with higher picks

That is NFL though with lots more players so maybe the margins don't make as much difference in the AFL

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

There was six or so trades today
I thought you meant our activity
Bell has to date failed to separate dealing with GWS for Lobb, from anything else we are doing. There will be extenuating circumstances if Neale and Hogan deals don't eventuate, but if he can't land Lobb in the state of mind GWS are currently in it will be a fail.

Bell has to date failed to separate dealing with GWS for Lobb, from anything else we are doing. There will be extenuating circumstances if Neale and Hogan deals don't eventuate, but if he can't land Lobb in the state of mind GWS are currently in it will be a fail.
Maybe Fremantle have offered the #30 pick and are leaving it to marinate while the clock ticks and the salary cap tsunami rises over the horizon.

there is no point in calling failure until the trade period ends

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do the AFL still have to sign off on every trade as fair value?

Watch the hawks fix his ankle, and bang. That’s three gun mids in for next to nothing.
How do they keep doing it

I doubt it. It's ****ed and the severity of the break no doubt means there is a high chance of something recurring again. The pick is irrelevant, I see it as Hawks paying a shit load of money to maybe get games out of him. Even if he does manage to play, his main weapon as a player is already hindered to an extent.

So why hasn't this deal just been done with?
1. Neale to Brisbane for 5th and a future 2nd/3rd. ~2300 trade value.
2. Pick 5 to Adelaide for 16 and 21 trade swap ~1900 value either way, but gives Adelaide a pick in front of the second Port pick.
3. Pick 11 and 23 and 30 to GWS for Lobb and pick 14 and 25 (valuing Lobb at ~500).
4. Pick 14, 25 and the future second from Brisbane to Melbourne for Hogan and pick 54. (Values Hogan to Melbourne at ~2800).

Freo still Manage to keep 16, 21, 54 and 81. Not complicated at all :/ Or is my maths out? :|

So why hasn't this deal just been done with?
1. Neale to Brisbane for 5th and a future 2nd/3rd. ~2300 trade value.
2. Pick 5 to Adelaide for 16 and 21 trade swap ~1900 value either way, but gives Adelaide a pick in front of the second Port pick.
3. Pick 11 and 23 and 30 to GWS for Lobb and pick 14 and 25 (valuing Lobb at ~500).
4. Pick 14, 25 and the future second from Brisbane to Melbourne for Hogan and pick 54. (Values Hogan to Melbourne at ~2800).

Freo still Manage to keep 16, 21 and 36 and 81. Not complicated at all :/ Or is my maths out? :|
Melbourne won’t take less than 5 for Hogan so that they can get May. The tragedy is GCS will get another high quality draft that won’t want to be there

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back