Mega Thread 2018 List Management, Free Agency & Trade thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Melbourne won’t take less than 5 for Hogan so that they can get May. The tragedy is GCS will get another high quality draft that won’t want to be there

I thought that GCS would want to move him on for a half eaten snag. A first and a future second (onsold from us onsold from Brisbane) should be enough for May in theory cos Cameron and Haines would look silly to the boss to hold onto him after the abondon ship sale thats gone on.

And we would prob only get (For Fyfe) ~2800 - 3000 in draft value.

You do realise that after the mega trade happens, the GC Suns will end up with picks 2,3,5.

They'll draft Lukosius, Rankine, Rozee.

Sam Walsh will go to Carlton, Max King (who's rehabbing at St. Kilda) will go to Saints at #4.

Port at 6 are left with either the best available (Ben King, Bailey Smith) or the best SA prospect available (Hately) who would've been there at 11.

Port paid overs to go up the draft for no reason, lol.

Interesting article. I would be surprised if clubs aren't studying the long term draft stats hard to figure some of the best strategies for our game. One thing that I would love to know with that sort of data is if teams only down-trade when they have a lot of list spots to fill and opportunity for youngsters? If this actually drives some of the results rather than getting one high profile pick in without much back-up?

I think drafting is a bit like nature vs nurture. The high Draft aspect gets you the better shot at the nature side but it's only 50% of the story. The nurture being the club culture, opportunity to play, personal fit for the group, mentoring, pressure. That will mould a player as much as anything so I think it is a bit false of some of these articles to lay blame solely at draft night for a player or players not making it.

Some kids just have better access to stuff so are able to play closer to their full potential and stand out in their draft.

Mum willing and able to drive them everywhere, good shoes and gear, visits to doctors/physios etc for niggles, better nutrition etc. Gym memberships for weights and training.

When everyone has the same access to all these sorts of things at an AFL club and everyone is on a rigorous fitness and training regime, some of the lesser lights finally have a chance to achieve their full potential.

You do realise that after the mega trade happens, the GC Suns will end up with picks 2,3,5.

Sam Walsh will go to Carlton, Max King (who's rehabbing at St. Kilda) will go to Saints at #4.

Port at 6 are left with either the best available (Ben King, Bailey Smith) or the best SA prospect available (Hately) who would've been there at 11.

I suspect they will try and sell the farm to get one of those GC picks, as will Adelaide. Although Smith (or Ben King) with #6 isn't exactly anything to cry about. Dogs surely happy to get whatever is left over. Adelaide with #8 and Essendon with #9 just missing out - can't see any surprises with who goes top 7 atm.

I suspect they will try and sell the farm to get one of those GC picks, as will Adelaide. Although Smith (or Ben King) with #6 isn't exactly anything to cry about. Dogs surely happy to get whatever is left over. Adelaide with #8 and Essendon with #9 just missing out - can't see any surprises with who goes top 7 atm.

After the Port GM's comments regarding Luko/Rankine 'getting them back in a few years'

Suns would gladly deal for Adelaides abundance of first round picks. If they do a deal tomorrow they could get a seasoned star (One of the Crouch brothers or even both).

Lobb and 14 for 11.

Done.
Sounds ridiculous but I'd rather give 23 or 30 in a straight swap

Pick 11 almost guarantee's us Clarke if we want him and gets us a sneaky shout at Hately since he's the last type of player Port need.

We also dont need that many picks since I think we are a lock to get 5 and 18 from Brisbane (with probs 49 going back).

After the Neale deal I can see us with 5, 11, 18, 23, 30

5 and 23 for Hogan, 30 for Lobb.

11 and 18 to the draft will get us Clarke and Hill no worries. With the Banfield and Duman rookie upgrades that 7 players to the main list

Sounds ridiculous but I'd rather give 23 or 30 in a straight swap

Pick 11 almost guarantee's us Clarke if we want him and gets us a sneaky shout at Hately since he's the last type of player Port need.

We also dont need that many picks since I think we are a lock to get 5 and 18 from Brisbane (with probs 49 going back).

After the Neale deal I can see us with 5, 11, 18, 23, 30

5 and 23 for Hogan, 30 for Lobb.

11 and 18 to the draft will get us Clarke and Hill no worries. With the Banfield and Duman rookie upgrades that 7 players to the main list
How many picks do we need .

I assume we are drafting at least 4 players plus one NGA player.

I can't keep track with rookie upgrades, players coming in and out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would we possibly consider helping West Coast here? They've apparently offered 20 & 22 for Kelly (I read somewhere that's points equivalent to pick 6), would we consider swapping Pick 11 for 20 & 22 and maybe WCE future third (after all, we would be doing them a huge favour). Could then use 20 for Lobb?

I hate helping West Coast and probably should give myself a ban for even suggesting it.

Would we possibly consider helping West Coast here? They've apparently offered 20 & 22 for Kelly (I read somewhere that's points equivalent to pick 6), would we consider swapping Pick 11 for 20 & 22 and maybe WCE future third (after all, we would be doing them a huge favour). Could then use 20 for Lobb?

I hate helping West Coast and probably should give myself a ban for even suggesting it.

I though about that and I'd do 11 for 20 & 22. Point value is a big gain. But I'd only do it if we though we could get Hill at 18.

I legit laughed out loud after reading that. Rolled gold.

Doing this quickly off the top of my end we had 39 main list players coming into the year

Retired/Out/delisted
1) Johnson
2) Spurr
3) Pearce
4) Neale
5) Sheridan
6) Grey
7) Sutcliffe

We wont take 40 on the main list, few clubs do so with two rookie promotions and assuming Hogan, Lobb and Conca come in we would only need two live draft picks. Carter Medhat will be Rookie listed.

There is also the problem that our list becomes stupidly unbalanced. One, even two of Meek, Jones, Nads need to go, so maybe we take 3 live picks to the draft

The only advantage is it stops them recruiting WA kids we may be after in that range.

Apart from that, **** em

I don't see the point of differentiating rookies these days (other than being aware we need between 4 and 6 of them). We've had 3 players retire (MJ, Pearce, Spurr). We haven't delisted anyone yet but have 5 still out of contract (Sutty, Rixx, Grey, Strnadica and Giro) and we've brought in Conca. So we currently only have 2 spots but we'll likely have another 3-4 but then hopefully fill 2 of those with Lobb and Hogan. So 4-5 spots for both national and rookie draft (and at least two of those will need to be used on rookies).

But... I wouldn't be surprised if we are looking at trading out some contracted players (eg one of our rucks like Meek/Jones as lots of clubs are short of ruck prospects). And no guarantee we aren't paying out and delisting one or more contracted (eg Bennell).

I really hope we manage to trade out a couple of rucks. We have way too many on our list, especially if we bring in Lobb. We'd benefit from a couple of list spots for young forward prospects for this draft imo.

edit - whoops, forgot Neale. That's an extra spot.

May has said he's willing to be traded to any Melbourne team.

Says to me 5 is not going to make it to Melbourne.

Is that to put pressure on all parties to get deals done, or has 5 gone off the table somewhere?

Is Adl doing a trade for 5, or Port?

Has Bris pulled 5 from Neale deal?

Has Freo not included 5 in a Hogan deal?

Interesting times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back