2018 pre season

Remove this Banner Ad

And show the competition all that is going on?

Maybe not.

No need to film Bevo's 'closed sessions' X. But there are frequently opposition 'spies' watching open session training from the stand [ though not usually this early in the pre-season], so a little more content for fans who cannot make training days regularly would be good, and wouldn't give away anything to other clubs they wont have already seen.

And show the competition all that is going on?

Maybe not.
Sorry, don't buy this. The line between close ups of footballs and giving away meaningful tactics and training strategies is not even vaguely fine. There is plenty more they can show without revealing anything that should be kept under wraps.

I don’t want to derail this thread but I don’t think anyone implied the job teachers do is easy. It was about the generous time off received as opposed to the 4 weeks most other full timers get
Committed teachers spend half of their holidays planning mate. As well as spending a fair bit of their weekends planning and assessing. It might appear to ignorant people that they get a generous time off compared to other people, but It is not really the case.

Would of thought fine tuning lesson plans wouldn't be overly time consuming once their basic framework had been devised or downloaded from elsewhere....no different to coaching one would think?

Committed teachers spend half of their holidays planning mate. As well as spending a fair bit of their weekends planning and assessing. It might appear to ignorant people that they get a generous time off compared to other people, but It is not really the case.
Did one year of a bachelor of education (primary) and decided to leave as it wasn’t for me but made friends who saw it through. My first year at uni was easy, a bit too easy if you ask me. Friends told me it got harder, quickly. Why more wasn’t included into the first year was beyond me.

However back to point, you are spot on. So much work goes into just planning lessons, it’s not easy at all. You have to know what the students need to learn and construct lessons that can get them interested enough to want to learn, and leave them with the required knowledge. There’s also the marking and assessing on top of disciplining, helping kids deal with their problems whether they be at home or at school or socially.

It’s an incredibly difficult job. A job a lot of males no longer want to get into unfortunately. Either some work needs to come off teachers plates or they need to be paid better.

Did one year of a bachelor of education (primary) and decided to leave as it wasn’t for me but made friends who saw it through. My first year at uni was easy, a bit too easy if you ask me. Friends told me it got harder, quickly. Why more wasn’t included into the first year was beyond me.

However back to point, you are spot on. So much work goes into just planning lessons, it’s not easy at all. You have to know what the students need to learn and construct lessons that can get them interested enough to want to learn, and leave them with the required knowledge. There’s also the marking and assessing on top of disciplining, helping kids deal with their problems whether they be at home or at school or socially.

It’s an incredibly difficult job. A job a lot of males no longer want to get into unfortunately. Either some work needs to come off teachers plates or they need to be paid better.
I've never been a teacher but the better half was a very dedicated one, so I've been following this discussion with interest.

While there are both good ones and bad ones - as in any profession - I think teachers in general get a rough deal. They can't defend themselves from public criticisms and yet (or therefore) they are an easy target. Whenever a politician finds fault in young people (literacy or numeracy standards, ethics, overweight kids, "values", social problems such as intolerance and bullying, poor knowledge of our history/geography etc) they are quick to say more time needs to be dedicated to these things in school, but what can be dropped to make this "more time"? It's also hinting that teachers aren't doing a good enough job. Teachers also get the blame for kids with poor social adjustment. The critics forget that teachers have these kids for only 6 hours a day or less than 14% of the kid's life in any given year. It's the parents who make the main difference in how kids will turn out socially, morally and in their work habits.

All I've seen over the years suggests that the vast majority of teachers are dedicated, overworked, underpaid and undervalued in an environment that is increasingly difficult due to changing regulations and community expectations. They are also at risk from violent children (they can't retaliate) and from (some) aggressive parents. If they get 10 weeks a year of "stand down time" (it's not all annual leave) then they deserve every bit of it.

Not sure what it has to do with the 2018 pre-season but it's good to get that off my chest!

Well said. I spent 11 years teaching in the East Kimberley, 3 in a remote community. The remote community was incredibly challenging but could be rewarding when something went right, which did not happen everyday. Most of the indigenous kids were gold , they always said something or did something to make you like them. Sometimes you could be in class and after about only an hour you would say to yourself "I am never going to survive the day." I lived for Friday each week where we went on a bush trip: fishing, swimming or hunting for goannas or bush tucker. I grew very fond of most of the kids, even though most of the time they pushed me to the limit. When I returned to Melbourne last year I started working as Casual Relief Teacher and I find it has its benefits, one of them less pressure.

Yeah we decided to give the asylum seekers, dole bludgers, feminists and other assorted lefty do-gooders a break and aim our vitriol at those rotten teachers! Nevermind the revelations about tax dodging multinational corporations, its the teachers who are ruining the world!
Yeah! They get too many holidays! Not to mention teaching's easy!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oh and throw in the professional development days (student free days) that happen to fall before or after a public holiday
Mainly they are held before a public holiday because half the school doesn't turn up anyway, and a grade can't be taught new things properly if half the grade is missing. It is still a work day for teachers

Would of thought fine tuning lesson plans wouldn't be overly time consuming once their basic framework had been devised or downloaded from elsewhere....no different to coaching one would think?
That is where you are wrong mate. It is time consuming. It involves preparing resources for each group, setting up activities that meet student needs and assessment strategies. Many students at risk need Individual Education plans. Each individual student needs to be catered for. Every year your class will change and students are different. Many teachers do not have teacher aides to do things like preparing resources, so they do everything themselves. Coaches have assistants helping them out. Spend a couple of days with a teacher and your opinion will change, I guarantee you.

Freezin, I would keep such commentary to yourself as it shows how little you know about pedagogy.

Been a teacher all my life. If i do not upgrade my skills on a regular basis, I will be left behind like there is no tomorrow. New technologies, the research, pubILCATION, Phd supervisionetc. Like all professions there are inspiring teachers and some not so much. most teachers who do it do it for sheer love.
i know a few principals and these people are excellent human beings. the responsibility they have is enormous. and some of the parents are a liability to their children.
the holidays, truly you need them, or you end up in a straight jacket. ok, enough on teaching.

good article on schache today on the feral hun. looks like he is going to be a real gun. with tommy boyd it is going to be a real lethal combination. in bevo i trust. GO DOGS!!!

Last edited:
Got plenty of friends who are teachers, just going off their comments regarding once all the lesson plans have been collated it gets less time consuming fine tweaking them TBH..but I know majority of them teach predominantly only one or two subjects ....totally agree the goal posts have changed for teachers....but hey I am cynical health professional working in a busy Emergerncy Department doing 10-12 hr shifts, nights/days, extras, on call and get 4 weeks down time from all the physical and verbal abuse from the general public cretins coming in to ED with their non ED issues...

Yeah totally agree back to the footy...

Last edited:
I'm not sure how this thread became so deeply involved in a discussion about the role and value of teachers but after 40 years in the game I've become a bit weary of the constant need to explain and justify what I do/did to people who have little understanding of its complexities. Well done to the teachers above for flying the flag and of course, Dogwatch who added his usual sagacious input. Now, however, all I want to read about in these threads is footy.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

2018 pre season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back