2018 Rookies

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
To be honest, I would expect something similar with the odd brilliant game (90+ games) scattered throughout his year. He averaged 70 in 2017, if he went to 90 like some expect, he will be just about elite in his second year.

If Andy can get to 75 - 80 that would be a win as an Essendon supporter. As super coach value goes, I would steer clear. He is valued at 70, getting to 80 only garners you $80,000. Not much in terms of cash cow nor is he going to end up being in the top dozen defenders in Super Coach.

Yes, he will give us glimpses of his sheer talent, but not in 2018 will he be considered in my SC team.
Great insight ! .......back to the drawing board i go

Great insight ! .......back to the drawing board i go

Thanks!

To put it into perspective, Grant Birchall ($277,000) will give you similar results to Andrew McGrath ($388,400) but, 1) costs you $111,000 less, and b) gives you roughly the same output (hoping for an at best 83 ppg average).

To be brutally honest. If Andy comes out and guns it with 2 x 100 in the first two rounds, everyone will jump on board. No one will miss the boat. He may very well ride that wave for a month or so and if he continues to rise, no body will miss it. Long story short, people won't miss out on Andy Mac if he kills it.

To be honest, I would expect something similar with the odd brilliant game (90+ games) scattered throughout his year. He averaged 70 in 2017, if he went to 90 like some expect, he will be just about elite in his second year.

If Andy can get to 75 - 80 that would be a win as an Essendon supporter. As super coach value goes, I would steer clear. He is valued at 70, getting to 80 only garners you $80,000. Not much in terms of cash cow nor is he going to end up being in the top dozen defenders in Super Coach.

Yes, he will give us glimpses of his sheer talent, but not in 2018 will he be considered in my SC team.
Hit the nail on the head. People are hoping for Oliver 2.0 - that's not going to happen. Oliver went into the 2nd season as the #1 contested ball winner for Melbourne, don't see the same for McGrath. 75-85 is where I see him sitting, definitely has the talent and will throw in a few 100's but ultimately, will have just as many 60s. One year he'll be premium, it's just not 2018.

Hit the nail on the head. People are hoping for Oliver 2.0 - that's not going to happen. Oliver went into the 2nd season as the #1 contested ball winner for Melbourne, don't see the same for McGrath. 75-85 is where I see him sitting, definitely has the talent and will throw in a few 100's but ultimately, will have just as many 60s. One year he'll be premium, it's just not 2018.

Is anyone really expecting Oliver 2.0 though? Oliver averaged 110 last season. Merrett went from 64 ave to an 89 ave from season 1-2 and I'm expecting a similar jump from McGrath.

And is he really going to kill it from round one? Doubt it. If he hits form, there will be time to trade him in.

The only problem I have with McGrath is he is our best shut down defender and we have brought in Smith and Stringer to add to our midfield, even if Stringer and Smith play 50/50 fwd/mid, thats more midfield minutes gone and if someone get off the chain like Betts I'm pretty sure McGrath will be thrown back.
BUT if he plays only midfield he will be a keeper by years end for sure.

Thanks!

To put it into perspective, Grant Birchall ($277,000) will give you similar results to Andrew McGrath ($388,400) but, 1) costs you $111,000 less, and b) gives you roughly the same output (hoping for an at best 83 ppg average).

To be brutally honest. If Andy comes out and guns it with 2 x 100 in the first two rounds, everyone will jump on board. No one will miss the boat. He may very well ride that wave for a month or so and if he continues to rise, no body will miss it. Long story short, people won't miss out on Andy Mac if he kills it.
2nd year blues syndrome puts me off mcgrath

Extra defender or extra forward? McGrath is in this pigeon hole. So in
his price range who will average most: McGrath, Curnow, Sicily or other?
Excellent question, which i'm wrestling with as well, with the same players ......would love Sicily to stand up, as he has the FORWD / DEF role, which would be a massive plus

Hanley

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He’s a jet. Natural ball winner. Check his tac stats.

Will avg 90+ imo
Had him last year for a while.
Not selecting fancy rookies here.
If I'm gonna muck around with structure it has to be worth it.

Pre season and the fact Jobe has gone will tell us more.
Actually expect Essendon to win a fair few games and finish top4

This is what I'm thinking.
I like Curnow over McGarth.
Longer in the system. More room in the midfield now Gibbs has gone and Murphy will get the tag. Bigger built. No one to steal points.
Happy to take more risks in the forward line as it's slim pickings this year compared to the backs.

Had a look at his numbers. Bearly averaged 90 over his best years.

Great player. Shit Stupidcoacher.
He's 29 and hopefully over his brothers death (well, to a point, I am not being discrespectful with this)
New coach, may see him become at least a D6, which if all goes exceedingly well, it would be a great luxury for a SC kent such as myself....

He's 29 and hopefully over his brothers death (well, to a point, I am not being discrespectful with this)
New coach, may see him become at least a D6, which if all goes exceedingly well, it would be a great luxury for a SC kent such as myself....
Good luck with him mate. Bloke can certainly play.

All mature agers are an option.

At this stage i don't expect him to get a game early. (Dunn, Moore, Howe, Scharenberg, Crisp) all locked in defence
Cheers mate

I think Moore is wasted down back. Should’ve went Naughton imo

My take on the rookies for 2018;

Defenders:
David Mirra (Haw) $102,400. You don't recruit a 26 year old with an eye to developing him. Obviously a need in defence will see him come into calculations sooner rather than later.
I wouldn't be so certain with Mirra. I would think that he would need a few injuries and to display some really solid form in order to get a gig.

Hardwick Frawley Stratton
Birchall Brand Sicily

Add Burton, Burgoyne and Gunston who all spent time back there last year. They like Conor Glass, who looked really good one on one in his 6 games as a rookie last year. Duryea capable also and with Rioli's return he might be looking for another position after spending much of last season forward.

Plenty of teams pick up mature age players in order to provide cover for potential injuries to certain positions. It's true that Hawthorn are a little thin in terms of small defenders, but that doesn't make Mirra an automatic first choice. If all goes to plan for Hawthorn, I wouldn't expect to see much of Mirra in the seniors.

Cheers mate

I think Moore is wasted down back. Should’ve went Naughton imo

Stephenson has potentially evetything we lack. No brainer.
We have McClarty who's a kpd also.

Moore and the Mason Cox experiment will be interesting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back