List Mgmt. 2018 St Kilda Trade Thread Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If we get Shiel, get him with our future first.

With the recruitment of Hannerbery and Kent, I'll put out there, we have enough mids.

What we don't have are enough quality mids. If Ratten and Co. can finally get Billings, Acres, Dunstan, Gresh in the midfield, Sinclair, etc. to step up then we should be covered.

In this case, Draft King.
Trade a tall for a second and get another mid. Late picks for state players.

In 2019 we end up 11th odd and our first would be in the 7-10 range for Shiel.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:
Anyone thinking Shiel isn’t worth pick 4, imagine what you would have expected if a 26 y.o Nick Dal Santo had wanted to leave the club.

Also if Rankine is available with our pick he must be taken. The kid looked a class above at the champs last year and he was one of the youngest on the park.
26yo Dal Santo was way better than Shiel.

Seems to be quite a few that think Bruce is a spud and Rowan Marshall is the next big thing.

At the same age Bruce average nearly 2 and half goals a game. Marshall averaged half a goal a game this year.

I genuinely believe with a quality midfield Bruce and Membrey would have no problem kicking 90 to 100 goals between.

If we did get King I wouldn't see where Marshall would fit in as you could use King as the back up ruck.

Very very happy to see that we have said our first pick is pretty much off limits.

I'm not confident that we have enough foundations of elite youth in place yet to be spending that pick on someone over 25yo if there's another way of getting it done, so hopefully if Dylan chooses us we do, as getting him, but also a Rankine/King/Smith and then Hanners and Kent could be huge for the club.
Agree wholeheartedly, however, Lethers has said if Dylan picks us the 4 pick is not in play. I would suggest next year pick and a number of players such as Hickey etc.

Agree wholeheartedly, however, Lethers has said if Dylan picks us the 4 pick is not in play. I would suggest next year pick and a number of players such as Hickey etc.
We said the same thing about Carlisle and pick 5 and he wasn't contracted. We'll do whatever it takes to get the deal done.

As much as I'd love to get Shiel I don't think he's worth selling the farm for.

We'd probably be better off trying to recruit another undervalued Jack Steele fringe player type from GWS like Matt de Boer or Brett Deledio.

That's fine, but if we honestly think King is too good to pass up at 4 then we are still stuck with the issue of having a very poor midfield.

I don't see the point of having half of Paddy, Bruce, Membrey, King, Battle and Marshall playing VFL when one could be used to get a pick to help fix the issue we have in the midfield.
Is that even true I hear it all the time but how bad is our midfield.

Someone will have the stats but to me it was more about the game plan and poor ball use, at any rate what do you expect to gain by selling one off. One second round pick isn’t going to make that much difference imo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

people bagging him this year when he literally broke is back and then broke his leg

We missed him this year, for all his faults he's a better key forward option than Marshall who looked good against Carlton and average against everyone else.

Marshall has potential as a ruckman/forward but we can't rely on him to fill a key forward post, he only filled in this year due to Bruce and Paddy's injuries.

Is that even true I hear it all the time but how bad is our midfield.

Someone will have the stats but to me it was more about the game plan and poor ball use, at any rate what do you expect to gain by selling one off. One second round pick isn’t going to make that much difference imo.
I don't think we need stats to see how average our midfield is.

2010: We stuffed up our draft last year, lets hope we get a good mid to replace Luke Ball or the tall we've been needing to replace big Fraze since 2006, Kosi aint getting any more mobile.
. --- This Jamie Cripps Looks OK he'll go midfield for sure.
2011: Well Crippsy is progressing nicely so maybe a replacement for Lenny, or Kosi. Oh..... We traded our first rounder for a couple of State league small forwards. Oh well i'm sure they'll be good. Saad is pretty quick.
2012: Cripps is leaving WTF??? AND BJ TOO!!!. Damn it at least we'll have a couple of decent first round draft picks. OK i guess they know what they are doing, Tom Lee should easily replace Kosi, real quick cos he's mature age. I thought Big Ben was doing ok but we need backup, seems a bit pricey for Hickey though. I guess we can get that gun midfielder next year.
2013: McEvoy getting traded but we just fixed our ruck situation? Ohhhh we cleverly used the pick they traded us to get a gun ruck in Longer. Haha in a couple of years they'll find out what a spud McEvoy is and how good Longer is.
Finally we drafted a gun with an early pick. Billings is a forward, maybe he'll be a tough nut and a great goal kick like Steve Johnson.

2014: OK scratch ,2010, and 2011, and 2012. Tom Lee is crap, but we won't lose if we get a tall forward with pick 1. I wish we could get a replacement for Lenny or even Luke Ball though.

2015: OK we traded our first rounder again. Look at the Blues and Demons wasting their first rounder on talls, trading is a much better option. Wait. Jake did WHAT??? and he's included in WHATT????

2016: ....sighs... i'd really like that replacement for Lenny.... oh we swapped our first rounder for next year.

2017.... still reasonably happy... but remaining wary. And Paddy will come good this year.

2018.... can we get that replacement for Lenny..... Please?

Bruce has had one year when he beat up shite teams and kicked bags on them. He went under the radar initially as he was a noone and a converted defender and Roo was still the main forward target.

He’s not a spud in the vein Vickery is. Bruce will be good for 40-45 goals a year. Perhaps more in a good side.

Marshall is alright, seems like he’s a decent contested mark and tries hard. The benefit over him is that he can be played all over the ground to a reasonable degree.

Realistically they’re about the same quality player but since Bruce is established we can get more in a trade for him.

At this stage I only really have wraps for Membrey and Battle as our marking targets.
Not sure Marshall has proved he's anywhere near Bruce's level unfortunately. As I said before, at the same age Bruce averaged 5 times as many goals as Marshall.

I'm happy with a guy that can average 40 goals a year if you've got another couple of good forwards around him. I'm not sold Marshall can get to that level.

If we keep Bruce I personally think he should be as a winger.

He can play the Nick Riewoldt 2016 role for us. He has a comparable tank, can create a contest every time Geary and Savage bomb the ball into the wing and his field kicking is decent.

If we can get 20-25 goals out of him that way along as a capable link between defence and our forwardline that would be his role for us.

He most likely doesn’t have the game sense or awareness to play the role but apart from that I can’t see how to fit him into the side without it being another Mac Weller situation.

Based on 2018 you’d assume from our forward line :
Gresh and Membrey are locks.

Billings will most likely be the flank again with Long/Kent playing the pressure forward.

Battle to me has shown the most out of all our forward and I’d play him every week.

Out of Marshall/Bruce/Paddy I’d honestly play Paddy to see if he comes good. Oppurtunity cost outweighs the sunk costs.

Paddy can be the old school player especially with the new 6/6/6 that stays mostly in the forward 50 and we’d have two mobile marking targets in Battle and Membrey.

Billings and Long can take a decent grab as well and Gresh is a general pest.

All of this sounds great on paper but nothing helps if we keep bombing the footy from 65-70 to the top of the square.
Bruce’s field kicking is shocking.

Paddy field kicking>>Bruce

Can't help but feel extremely dissapointed about the pending bad news on Sheil.

Some will say look at North and Kelly, well he is still in play for them next year.

We have a shit load of cash and nobody wants it.

It's embarrassing and soul destroying.

North would be insane to try to get Kelly as well. They will have so much tied up in three contracts that way. We will improve next year and players will want to come. You are only as good as your last season. North prove that if nothing else.

Got to say this place is funny. People say we have missed Shiel which was always a chance so some say we are glad and just get kelly next year. It’s ground hog day. I’m unsure if we say it out of disappointment or if we really mean it. Surely we know we will be in the same situation next year without getting star players. Hanners is a start but other side are improving around us apart from gc. It’s going to be hard to get past 17 especially if Carlton get Shiel.

We have to keep chasing stars and overpaying them rather than overpaying guys who won 4 games this year. I will tell you as fact Steven will leave next year if we don’t improve or at least show are trying as much as possible. And I’d be pretty sure we are as much hope of getting Mitchell as we were of getting harvs. At least some of you can move on quickly. One disappointment then onto the next impossible player to get

What do you want, people to organise an official wake every time we miss out on a star?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back