Prediction 2018 Starting 22

Remove this Banner Ad

Not a bad effort IMHO. If Scully & Hopper are fit (presumably have to get through a scratch match this weekend), then they'd be in (you're obviously naming a team on the presumption that they don't get up) and coming out from that side most likely would be Reid & Finlayson.

If Corr's not ready, then I can see Finlayson getting his chance - tall but mobile, and he can push up onto a wing. With Griffen, Setterfield & Hopper all out or questionable, we're actually a bit tight on inside mids. It's not beyond the realms of possibility that Shipley gets a go as he can take the endurance spot on the wing plus provide some relief on the inside. Perryman is another possibility that I think you've overlooked. Personally, I wouldn't go for Reid (prefer any of the new boys or Perryman), and I have my doubts on Deledio but expect Leon will name him in the team. Lobb would need to prove that he's good to play a whole game and not worsen his condition, otherwise it would be better to preserve him and play Dawson. The Dogs is one team where lack of a ruckman doesn't hurt too much.

I feel Finlayson is apart of the back 7 this uear with 1 rotating off the bench unless they go with Reid or a Griffen becomes available and is fit.

Can i ask how strong is Daniel Lloyds position in the side? He tends to play as a small forward. Id think hes been more impressive than Deledio, Reid and Langdon so far but is his defensive pressure as good?

Shaw Davis Haynes
Lachie Corr Deledio
Tommo Ward MDB
Sheil Cameron Scully
HH Patton Toby
Lobb Kelly Taranto
Hopper Lloyd Griffin TOJ

I feel Finlayson is apart of the back 7 this uear with 1 rotating off the bench unless they go with Reid or a Griffen becomes available and is fit.
Can i ask how strong is Daniel Lloyds position in the side? He tends to play as a small forward. Id think hes been more impressive than Deledio, Reid and Langdon so far but is his defensive pressure as good?
Finlayson was selected for several pre-season games (more regularly than in the past), and generally played pretty well (run & long kick similarities to Nate Wilson), so I had the same thought regarding his possible selection in defence, albeit with a question on the fact that he would be the 5th tall GWS play in defence if Davis/Corr/Haynes/Tommo were retained & hence whether that combo was agile enough to deal with a smaller forward line. A recent post from Raymann (poster with generally good inside word) indicates that Finlayson is likely to take a position in defence while Tommo moves onto the wing in Lachie's spot - that makes sense and seems viable given Tommo's endurance, although Tommo's kicking in the past hasn't been as pinpoint as Lachie's.

Lloyd seems likely as a small/medium forward, being talked up by the coaching staff as one of the 5 most impressive pre-season performers. His pressure is OK but certainly needs to improve; but I'd say it has been far better than Reid & Deledio to date, and probably around the level of Langdon's. I'd say his spot would be the most tenuous and needs to keep producing week-in-week-out to keep Langdon, Bonar & eventually Daniels out once they get a run in NEAFL and start performing as I expect they will.

My revised Rd 1 team:
Shaw Davis Tomlinson
Haynes Corr Whitfield
Scully Shiel Kelly
Taranto Cameron Greene
Himmelberg Patton DeBoer
Lobb Cogs Ward
Hopper Langdon Finlayson Deledio

Last edited:
I'm currently thinking (presuming Scully, Hopper & Lobb are all fit, and Griffen isn't):

Shaw Davis Finlayson
Haynes Corr Whitfield
Scully Coniglio Tomlinson
Greene Cameron Kelly
HH Patton MDB
Lobb Ward Shiel
Lloyd Hopper Taranto Deledio

GWS GIANTS prelim team

FB: Williams — Davis — Shaw

HB: Haynes — Tomlinson — Corr

CT: Shiel — Coniglio — Whitfield

HF: Greene — Himmelberg — Ward

FF: Johnson — Patton — Deledio

RR: Lobb — Hopper — Kelly

Int: Scully — Taranto — Wilson — de Boer

Round 1

FB: Finlayson — Davis — Shaw

HB: Haynes — Corr — Whitfield

CT: Shiel — Coniglio — Scully

HF: Greene — Cameron — Taranto

FF: Himmelberg — Patton — Lloyd

RR: Lobb — Ward— Kelly

Int: Hopper — Bonar — de Boer — Griffen/Deledio

GWS GIANTS prelim team

FB: Williams — Davis — Shaw

HB: Haynes — Tomlinson — Corr

CT: Shiel — Coniglio — Whitfield

HF: Greene — Himmelberg — Ward

FF: Johnson — Patton — Deledio

RR: Lobb — Hopper — Kelly

Int: Scully — Taranto — Wilson — de Boer

Round 1

FB: Finlayson — Davis — Shaw

HB: Haynes — Corr — Whitfield

CT: Shiel — Coniglio — Scully

HF: Greene — Cameron — Taranto

FF: Himmelberg — Patton — Lloyd

RR: Lobb — Ward— Kelly

Int: Hopper — Bonar — de Boer — Griffen/Deledio
Tomlinson?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For clarity

Shaw Davis Haynes
Lids Corr Whitfield
MDB Ward Tomlinson
Greene Cameron Sheil
Langdon Patton HH
Lobb Cogs Kelly

TOJ Hopper Taranto Lloyd

Too many of these sides have blokes who are going to be clearly underdone playing rd 1 (Hopper, Scully, Lobb, Corr). Throw in Delidio and Greene and it's looking like 2017 selections all over again!

Think they have to play match hardened guys like S Reid, Simpson, Keefe etc even if they're not best 22 ahead of guys there are major question marks on.

Hey all.

what are the Giants going to do regarding you rebounding smalls? Wilson, Shaw and Williams made you guys terrifying on the rebound but one is gone across the nullabor, the other gone for most of the year and the other 30+.

I think you guys are still loaded in terms of midfield talent and KPP which will get you deep into finals once again, but any idea who might pop up on that HBF/BP? I have heard good things about Isaac Cummings maybe?

Hey all.

what are the Giants going to do regarding you rebounding smalls? Wilson, Shaw and Williams made you guys terrifying on the rebound but one is gone across the nullabor, the other gone for most of the year and the other 30+.

I think you guys are still loaded in terms of midfield talent and KPP which will get you deep into finals once again, but any idea who might pop up on that HBF/BP? I have heard good things about Isaac Cummings maybe?
Cumming is a like for like player and Whitfield looks like he will be slotted into defence as well. Also there’s the potential to play Griffen across the back and use his precision kicking in place of run

Remove this Banner Ad

Back