Round 1

Shaw Davis Haynes
Griffin Tommo Whitfield
Kelly Ward Deboar
Scully Cameron Sheil
Lloyd Patton Himmelberg

Lobb Hopper Cogs

Finlayson Taranto Lids ?

Interesting to see most people here don't have Finlayson in the 22 moving forward... Has taken most of the pre-season kick-ins and at Manuka the other night was often playing Full Back against Pies (isolated one out). That kind of exposure for me means they plan to play him alot this year. Very versatile for his height/build... And a pretty good kick too.

Interesting to see most people here don't have Finlayson in the 22 moving forward... Has taken most of the pre-season kick-ins and at Manuka the other night was often playing Full Back against Pies (isolated one out). That kind of exposure for me means they plan to play him alot this year. Very versatile for his height/build... And a pretty good kick too.
Probably because tall defenders are surplus at this stage.

Davis
Corr
Tomlinson
Haynes
Mohr
Finlayson

All fit and the openings in our 22 are for small/medium rebounders

Hmmm, some very interesting comments and observations. I'm intrigued by what team is named for the next match against Swans. Will it be a chance to give everyone a game, or will they play the expected round 1 team plus a couple of fringe players? Will Greene, Griffen, Deledio & Corr (all expected best 22 players be named)? Will Isaac Cumming be named to have an audition for the running defender role? Will Finlayson be played again? (As per a couple of comments here, he seems to be in a trial, and if so he's performing well.)

Probably because tall defenders are surplus at this stage.

Davis
Corr
Tomlinson
Haynes
Mohr
Finlayson

All fit and the openings in our 22 are for small/medium rebounders

In total agreement that Corr, Tomlinson and Davis are 100% in the 22.

Mohr is depth player at best and will unlikely be in the AFL next year. 11 games in the last 4 years and the fact he is 29 doesn't hold him in good stead.

I could see Tomlinson being played up the ground more often (wing) in 2018.

I also don't see Finlayson's height being a reason to not consider him for a run and carry role if his speed and kicking are good enough. From all indications, he has the ability to play that role.

My rd 1 team
Shaw Davis Corr
Whitfield Tomlinson Haynes
Kelly Ward Scully
Greene Cameron TT
Lloyd Patton MDB
Lobb Shiel Coniglio
HH Perryman Reid Deledio

Hopper and Griffen miss out as I don't think they will be match fit, I would say the side just looks a bit slow

Good that GWS has issued some info regarding Scully & Hopper. However, they tend to put a positive spin on everything injury related, so I'll only count on them being available when we get closer. My current thoughts would be:

- Forwards: 3-tall forward line (Patton, Cameron, HH), with Greene, MdB & probably Lloyd locking in a small/medium place. I think there would be one spot still available, so Langdon, Bonar, Reid & maybe Shipley still have something to play for over the next fortnight.

- Defenders: I think we'll go back to what we've known, so 4-talls in Davis, Corr (unless he's not considered fit enough, in which case Keeffe & Finlayson are probably options), Tommo & Haynes; then Heater, & Whitfield with one spot still not sealed. I think Leon is looking at Lids for that last spot, so depends on how he progresses. Griffen not a chance, so Perryman would be the next option for me.

- Midfield: As per dlanod's comment, we really need Lobb to come good as he's more mobile and contributes around the ground; if not, Dawson will come in. Ward, Shiel, Cogs, Kelly, Scully all locked in obviously. Question will be, who comes in if Scully's not fit? Hopper and Taranto will round off the bench; if Hopper's not fit then Perryman or Reid are probably the next options. For, Scully, well maybe Shipley as an option there? Reid? Finlayson? Tommo even, with Perryman slotting into the backline.

When I look at all that, we don't seem to have solved any of those questions that we had in January!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good that GWS has issued some info regarding Scully & Hopper. However, they tend to put a positive spin on everything injury related, so I'll only count on them being available when we get closer. My current thoughts would be:

- Forwards: 3-tall forward line (Patton, Cameron, HH), with Greene, MdB & probably Lloyd locking in a small/medium place. I think there would be one spot still available, so Langdon, Bonar, Reid & maybe Shipley still have something to play for over the next fortnight.

- Defenders: I think we'll go back to what we've known, so 4-talls in Davis, Corr (unless he's not considered fit enough, in which case Keeffe & Finlayson are probably options), Tommo & Haynes; then Heater, & Whitfield with one spot still not sealed. I think Leon is looking at Lids for that last spot, so depends on how he progresses. Griffen not a chance, so Perryman would be the next option for me.

- Midfield: As per dlanod's comment, we really need Lobb to come good as he's more mobile and contributes around the ground; if not, Dawson will come in. Ward, Shiel, Cogs, Kelly, Scully all locked in obviously. Question will be, who comes in if Scully's not fit? Hopper and Taranto will round off the bench; if Hopper's not fit then Perryman or Reid are probably the next options. For, Scully, well maybe Shipley as an option there? Reid? Finlayson? Tommo even, with Perryman slotting into the backline.

When I look at all that, we don't seem to have solved any of those questions that we had in January!

I don’t think Reid showed anywhere near enough to say he should be selected. If anything, just the opposite. It was a great story while it lasted, but sadly for Sammy I think the ride is over. Injury cover only from here on in. I’d be playing Shipley ahead of him in the midfield and Lloyd (or Langdon) ahead of him forward.

How I think the side should line up for round 1 (not the side I think they will pick)

Shaw Davis Haynes
Deledio Tomlinson Whitfield
Scully Ward Kelly
Greene Cameron Shiel
MDB Patton HH

Lobb Coniglio Hopper

Corr Griffen Taranto Lloyd

Emerg
Langdon - have been impressed with him so far - tight call with Lloyd but just misses
Keefe - Finlayson was ordinary at his primary role which is to defend and Keefe can help in the ruck
Simpson -
Shipley - has looked good so far and would be first cab off the rank if a mid went down.

*Is still have Griff as part of the mid rotation
* Deledio is too good not to make the side but seems lost in front of the ball
* HH/Patton/Tomlinson to give chop out for Lobb

Personally I don't care if we sit Deledio out.
When his football is at a standard to demand selection we play him, but we shouldn't be playing him because he is Deledio and we paid a shitload for him.
If Perryman played like that he wouldn't be picked, why should Deledio?

Couldn't agree more regarding Lids, hence why I certainly don't have him locked into the team IMHO. Unfortunately, we've seen over the last few years that Leon appears to show a strong preference towards the experienced players despite form to the contrary - look at Stevie J last year - so I do expect Lids to be selected round 1 provided his body is assessed as OK. I guess there's an aspect of knowing his top possible skill level & deciding to let him rebuild to that in first grade versus taking a punt on a kid whose ceiling is unknown. Personally I'd jump the latter approach - GWS has no real 'loyalty' to Lids as he hasn't produced anything for us yet & selecting a kid could get years of return - but if we're missing a few experienced guys such as Scully & Hopper, I can definitely see Leon rationalising that Lids' experienced is required to balance inexperienced selections such as Langdon & Shipley if cover for Scully/Hopper absence is required.

Do you guys see Dylan Buckley getting any games this year?
Wasn’t named in the JLT but he has the versatility to play back or forward which most coach’s like
I think it would be see how he goes in the first few rounds of the NEAFL but he would be behind several players in my mind

Do you guys see Dylan Buckley getting any games this year?
I think we were all a bit surprised with GWS picking up Dylan Buckley, even more so when it was described as being for a pressure small forward rather than a defender. Having said that, I don't think that any of Langdon, Bonar or Shipley of our 2017 draftees (Daniels the other, but injured) have truly stood up for that pressure forward position, and it remains (across the JLT games) a need for us. However, the fact that he didn't get a chance in any of the first grade hitouts does indicate that he's behind everyone else. I'd guess that his chances of a first grade spot would depend largely on (a) our injury toll and (b) how everyone else goes - providing that he goes well in NEAFL to showcase what he could bring. An intriguing (although admittedly, side) question.

Scully*
Hopper*
Lobb*
Griffen*
Corr*

H.Shaw - Davis - Corr
Whitfield - Tomlinson - N.Haynes
Deboer - Ward - Taranto
T.Greene - J.Cameron - D.Shiel
Himmelberg - Patton - Z.Langdon
Simpson/Lobb - J.Kelly - Coniglio
Bench: D.Lloyd, Finlayson, S.Reid, Deledio

Not included in best side: Hopper, Scully, Griffen maybe

Feel like ive missed someone.

So many players that have changed compared to last year. D.Smith, SJ, Wilson, Z.Williams, Setterfield, Lobb, Mumford, Scully, Hopper could all be missing either best 22 last year or wouldve been this year.

I think you guys are probably more likely ro risk corr with limited prep compared to Lobb who has to play as probably a sole ruck

Scully*
Hopper*
Lobb*
Griffen*
Corr*

H.Shaw - Davis - Corr
Whitfield - Tomlinson - N.Haynes
Deboer - Ward - Taranto
T.Greene - J.Cameron - D.Shiel
Himmelberg - Patton - Z.Langdon
Simpson/Lobb - J.Kelly - Coniglio
Bench: D.Lloyd, Finlayson, S.Reid, Deledio

Not included in best side: Hopper, Scully, Griffen maybe. So many players that have changed compared to last year. D.Smith, SJ, Wilson, Z.Williams, Setterfield, Lobb, Mumford, Scully, Hopper could all be missing either best 22 last year or wouldve been this year. I think you guys are probably more likely ro risk corr with limited prep compared to Lobb who has to play as probably a sole ruck.
Not a bad effort IMHO. If Scully & Hopper are fit (presumably have to get through a scratch match this weekend), then they'd be in (you're obviously naming a team on the presumption that they don't get up) and coming out from that side most likely would be Reid & Finlayson.

If Corr's not ready, then I can see Finlayson getting his chance - tall but mobile, and he can push up onto a wing. With Griffen, Setterfield & Hopper all out or questionable, we're actually a bit tight on inside mids. It's not beyond the realms of possibility that Shipley gets a go as he can take the endurance spot on the wing plus provide some relief on the inside. Perryman is another possibility that I think you've overlooked. Personally, I wouldn't go for Reid (prefer any of the new boys or Perryman), and I have my doubts on Deledio but expect Leon will name him in the team. Lobb would need to prove that he's good to play a whole game and not worsen his condition, otherwise it would be better to preserve him and play Dawson. The Dogs is one team where lack of a ruckman doesn't hurt too much.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back