2019 2nd Ashes Test - Lords 14-18 August 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Because Khawaja's average as an opener is vastly superior than his average at 3.

Granted, it's a smaller sample size, but if you think about it, it makes sense. He doesn't mind the moving ball, and he's putrid against turn of any kind.
Making runs as an opener isn't much different from making runs at 3, either you can bat or you can't, wickets are the same size, pitch hasn't changed, ball still has shine, cracks me up when people blame batting position especially when a batsman is moving down the order.

who actually thinks that? nobody I've ever met (online or otherwise)

Mostly pushed by media and former players, the threads here had a decent amount of support for four day games as well.

Just a quick Google search shows articles from Warne and Mark Taylor where they say it's the future for the sport.

Shane Warne No Spin: how to save Test cricket, four-day matches, over limits

Last edited:
Set up nicely for what could be a good test match providing rain doesn't rob us of too many more overs.

English weather is a lottery who knows.
Last test we were meant to lose heaps of play and it didn’t rain at all

It'd be nice, but I'll settle for him having made it to stumps for now.

It’s an old style innings now people will say...oh he has only made 5...but he is seeing off the new ball that’s his number 1 job

Making runs as an opener isn't much different from making runs at 3, either you can bat or you can't, wickets are the same size, pitch hasn't changed, ball still has shine, cracks me up when people blame batting position especially when a batsman is moving down the order.
And yet, some people flourish batting at 3 where they don't as opener and vice versa. They aren't the same, nor do you pick someone for the positions with the same attributes in mind.

And it's kind of indicative that the way you term it is 'making runs as an opener'. Openers have 2 jobs; to blunt the attack and see off the new ball, and then to plunder the bowling after it gets easier. 3 down still need to be able to defend, but they're more fluent shot makers.

It’s the same thing- half an hour early. Middle session was extended
Well isn't that just wonderful, what if we lost another 10 overs to bad light? Bad luck? Even though conditions were ideal at 10am? Surely it's time for a bit of leeway, especially in that campaigner part of the world.

I discounted it because it seems to be a pretty clear outlier. His record is still awful over that period if you include it.

Australian form from 18 months ago is irrelevant to an Ashes series in England. Harris struggled in a really poor side, but was close to our best batsman against India.

When you are constantly getting out early after making 20 it doesn’t really matter if Smith is in at 4 when you are an opener. It’s not like Harris was batting 6 and running out of partners.

Warner plays until we actually have someone putting their hand up. The fact Bangers is also struggling and seen as the next best option just shows the depth isn’t great at the moment

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And yet, some people flourish batting at 3 where they don't as opener and vice versa. They aren't the same, nor do you pick someone for the positions with the same attributes in mind.

And it's kind of indicative that the way you term it is 'making runs as an opener'. Openers have 2 jobs; to blunt the attack and see off the new ball, and then to plunder the bowling after it gets easier. 3 down still need to be able to defend, but they're more fluent shot makers.
This isn't the 70s mate, opening bats at our national level need to able to score.

It’s an old style innings now people will say...oh he has only made 5...but he is seeing off the new ball that’s his number 1 job

He hasn't exactly had too many decent deliveries bowled at him though. They've either been too wide, short or straight. Looks all at sea to anything on or just outside off. Archer in particular was guilty of that.

Good on him for surviving until stumps but that's still a pretty low bar to set for him.

Yet batsmen feel comfortable doing different things. He is starting to look like he is working his way into form let’s not upset the apple cart

Well isn't that just wonderful, what if we lost another 10 overs to bad light? Bad luck? Even though conditions were ideal at 10am? Surely it's time for a bit of leeway, especially in that campaigner part of the world.

Or teams can be punished more. Suspend captains. They will get the message quick

This isn't the 70s mate, opening bats at our national level need to able to score.
Which is not what I said.

Alastair Cook made how many test runs again? Chris Rogers? Was Rahul Dravid a thing?

Jesus Christ. I'm not suggesting Geoffrey Boycott, I'm suggesting a player whose record opening the batting is superior to their record at 3. I'd have thought that'd be logical.

He hasn't exactly had too many decent deliveries bowled at him though. They've either been too wide, short or straight. Looks all at sea to anything on or just outside off. Archer in particular was guilty of that.

Good on him for surviving until stumps but that's still a pretty low bar to set for him.

It’s the number 1 job as an opener- keep getting the shine off the ball it will be easier for others to bat.

Which is not what I said.

Alastair Cook made how many test runs again? Chris Rogers? Was Rahul Dravid a thing?

Mark Taylor too, Grahame Smith in recent times

Look we are in a strong position here, disappointing Warner wasn’t able to make it to stumps but still 1-30 is solid we didn’t collapse and that’s the main thing.

Don’t think this pitch is offering much to the bowlers. England’s score is about 100 below par for mine, when the ball gets older tomorrow it should be a good wicket to bat on.

Remove this Banner Ad

2019 2nd Ashes Test - Lords 14-18 August 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Back