2019 AFL Crowds & Ratings Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

81K watching in Sydney on FTA.
Was it on the main channel?

Blundstone needs more seats to maximise attendance

I'd caution listening to the more, more seating cry that accompanies so much AFL discussion.

Reflecting my own experience take the early days of the national comp in WA, crowds built & seats grew to attracting a premium. Brian Cook was CEO in those days & he took the WA template to Geelong & history is repeating itself. Potentially the Bulldogs have adjusted that template for Ballarat.

Haste slowly, quality not quantity.

Good attendance for a Thurs night, good ratings
Thurs night here to stay

Ratings were actually pretty poor on Thursday night...though I would say this was due to a combination of
-one sided game
-cricket workd cup
-later start / finish on a school night

Do the ratings indicate a fall off in the Melbourne market as the game went on?

Not sure but 215K is very low for Melbourne on a Thursday night.....actually all of those are probably worst for the year for a Thursday night except Perth on the far right....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The_Wookie I have a couple of questions from your blackbox article.

Is there any reason why FTV average isn't a simple 259k + 95k = 344k? A bit of rounding?

Brisbane and Sydney individual match ratings that arent part of another broadcast bring the average way down.

So if Channel 7 try and get 3 games involving Melbourne teams in the 11 rounds they only do 3 games, and if Friday night gets 450k-500k watching in Melbourne, then does the Saturday night game and Sunday arvo only average drawing in the 150k-200k range?? If so, then I'm surprised by that. Or is there a decent difference between Saturday night and Sunday arvo.

How does this grab ya

melbaflfta2019.png

I used to have a better grasp of the figures closer to the start of this decade, but I seem to recall that the FTV numbers earlier in the decade, were bigger than current ones. Have I missed a big dip and then recovery over 9 years, or just got a bad memory??

At the same point in 2012, FTA total ratings were just over 30 million - about 4 million more than they are this season.

500K metro FTA figures for last night

I suspect that might include the Lions match in Brisbane (with no NRL on this weekend) but that is still very good numbers for a standalone Saturday night game

Having a quick look back, it seems there usually needs to be both a Perth team and Adelaide team playing across the two games to get over 500K on normal Saturday nights

Edit:

And it likely didn't include the Brisbane Lions game in Brisbane given that pregame ratings in Brisbane were significantly higher than the actual game....which I generally assume to mean it is capturing the tail end of the previous higher rating game

Excellent FTA ratings....will be interesting to see if the cricket world cup continues to be a drag on the AFL foxtel ratings

Last edited:
Foxtel Viewership Audiences:

Melbourne/Fremantle: 190,000
St.Kilda/Brisbane Lions: 213,000
Port Power/Geelong: 221,000

Foxtel Viewership Audiences:

Melbourne/Fremantle: 190,000
St.Kilda/Brisbane Lions: 213,000
Port Power/Geelong: 221,000

First two ratings are solid given time, who was playing and the blow out in the twilight game. Cats power ratings further suggest that the world cup cricket is dragging the AFL foxtel ratings somewhat

Remove this Banner Ad

2019 AFL Crowds & Ratings Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back