2019 ALL AUSTRALIAN TEAM

Remove this Banner Ad

So it's moreso about aesthetics then?

In terms of actual measureable output, what's Kelly doing that's so far and away above the pack?

I've never once looked at these much-lauded coaches votes to know. It's just their opinion, after all.

If the coaches are the first to blame when a team loses, why is their opinion on everything the gospel? Can't have it all ways...

You realize you are literally the only person who doesn't rate Kelly, right? Not one other person of note has him absent from their AA team, let alone the squad. No-one else is arrogant enough to think that their opinion overrides 99% of the population. You might want to think about that. I think I'll trust legends of the game, coaches, commentators, the majority of fans and my own eyes, before I'll trust Damon on big footy.

You realize you are literally the only person who doesn't rate Kelly, right? Not one other person of note has him absent from their AA team, let alone the squad. No-one else is arrogant enough to think that their opinion overrides 99% of the population. You might want to think about that. I think I'll trust legends of the game, coaches, commentators, the majority of fans and my own eyes, before I'll trust Damon on big footy.

It's not that I don't rate him. It's that I don't rate him as above and beyond other elite midfielders this year.

It's not that I don't rate him. It's that I don't rate him as above and beyond other elite midfielders this year.

You didn't have him in your squad of 40. You had over 15 other mids ahead of him. You clearly don't rate him, despite all the evidence to the contrary. Even if you don't think he's 'head and shoulders' above everyone else, doesn't mean that he's still not one of the Top 5 mids in the comp right now. Meaning, he makes the AA side. For you to not even have him in your squad, suggests you think otherwise, hence my previous comment.

You didn't have him in your squad of 40. You had over 15 other mids ahead of him. You clearly don't rate him, despite all the evidence to the contrary. Even if you don't think he's 'head and shoulders' above everyone else, doesn't mean that he's still not one of the Top 5 mids in the comp right now. Meaning, he makes the AA side. For you to not even have him in your squad, suggests you think otherwise, hence my previous comment.
Yeah Kelly is one of the first picked in this year's AA squad if it was picked right now. Anyone saying otherwise just doesn't understand football.

Shrug-Emoji.jpg

I'm not actually seeing any argument or reason why I'm wrong, beyond "but the majority like him!" or "he looks pretty scooping the ball up on the run".

Shrug-Emoji.jpg

I'm not actually seeing any argument or reason why I'm wrong, beyond "but the majority like him!" or "he looks pretty scooping the ball up on the run".

Because you're too arrogant to see the forest for the trees, lol. People have provided you with plenty of arguments, you just choose to use Champion Data. A metric that rated Menegola as 'elite' while rating J. Selwood as 'above average',at the mid-way point of last year when Selwood was best on ground 5 times at the start of the year and Menegola was on the edge of our best 22.

The same arguments that are used for Bontempelli, can be applied to Kelly this year. Has been our best mid (and we're the side on top). Would be leading our B+F. Has been the difference in several games, where his class around stoppages and ability to extract, deliver and finish off goals has been what has separated us from the pack.

It's not just about 'scooping the ball up', it's about his evasiveness, and his ability to find space where there is none, to put his teammates into a better position. It's about the fact that he's not just rated by our coaches or players as one of the best in the comp right now, but also by opposition players and coaches (as evidenced by the fact that he's the first to cop a tag in a midfield containing Selwood, Dangerfield and Duncan - 3 elite players in their own right). The coaches votes on both sides, also affirm the aforementioned, as it means he's being viewed most weeks as one of the best players by both sides.

But I'm sure you'll just dismiss all of this, as clearly you know more than everyone else. Statistics don't measure everything mate. Cyril Rioli demonstrated that better than most.

Last edited:
Weird post.

Treloar's DE was 80% on the weekend. That's 32 effective disposals from 40 touches which is great usage.

He had a couple of shanks which stood out but overall his usage was good, but those shanks get remembered.

In fact, he has a habit of doing that. His bad ones just tend to be really bad. His field kicking can definitely be inconsistent but his use by hand is sublime - one of the best in the comp. He's no Jarman or Buckley by any stretch but his usage is nowhere near as bad as most people say.

Case in point (because it's relevant to your post).

Treloar's disposal efficiency average for the year: 70.1 (at 33.4 touches per game which is no. 1 in the AFL).

Shuey's: 66.8 (at 27.1 touches per game).

Don't believe me? https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy...ayerStatus2=A&tid2=19&pid2=3124&fid2=S&type=A

On the facts, AT has comfortably had a better season than Shuey and should be close to a lock for All Australian. He's had a monumental season.

Now im not going to get into whether or not I think shuey should be in the AA team however playing in either 4 or 5 wet weather games so far has significantly affected his disposal efficiency.

He was easily best on ground last round yet had a terrible disposal efficiency. It's a shit stat and doesn't take a lot of things into account. Like playing for distance in the wet etc or being the only guy trying to get a clear pass out rather than hold the ball in etc to result in another stoppage.

Because you're too arrogant to see the forest for the trees, lol. People have provided you with plenty of arguments, you just choose to use Champion Data. A metric that rated Menegola as 'elite' while rating J. Selwood as 'above average',at the mid-way point of last year when Selwood was best on ground 5 times at the start of the year and Menegola was on the edge of our best 22.

The same arguments that are used for Bontempelli, can be applied to Kelly this year. Has been our best mid (and we're the side on top). Would be leading our B+F. Has been the difference in several games, where his class around stoppages and ability to extract, deliver and finish off goals has been what has separated us from the pack.

It's not just about 'scooping the ball up', it's about his evasiveness, and his ability to find space where there is none, to put his teammates into a better position. It's about the fact that he's not just rated by our coaches or players as one of the best in the comp right now, but also by opposition players and coaches (as evidenced by the fact that he's the first to cop a tag in a midfield containing Selwood, Dangerfield and Duncan - 3 elite players in their own right). The coaches votes on both sides, also affirm the aforementioned, as it means he's being viewed most weeks as one of the best players by both sides.

But I'm sure you'll just dismiss all of this, as clearly you know more than everyone else. Statistics don't measure everything mate. Cyril Rioli demonstrated that better than most.

InfatuatedMinorGuppy-small.gif

Shuey having a fair crack at being best 22.

From WC Hurn looks the best, followed by Shuey, Sheppard and McGovern.

Problem is, as good as he has been who would miss for him? I would have my center lineup as:

C: Tim Kelly - Patrick Cripps - Lachie Neale
R: Brodie Grundy - Ben Cunnington - Nat Fyfe

IC: Max Gawn - Marcus Bontempelli - Travis Boak - Josh Kelly

Then there are others who he would also need to be ahead of that I havn't included in my lineup who are having stellar years (Parker, Coniglio, Treloar etc) FWIW I would have him ahead of those 3 in brackets, just saying.

Agree though, as my post a few pages ago - Shuey right on the fringe and the unluckiest midfielder not to be included in my team.

Problem is, as good as he has been who would miss for him? I would have my center lineup as:

Then there are others who he would also need to be ahead of that I havn't included in my lineup who are having stellar years (Parker, Coniglio, Treloar etc) FWIW I would have him ahead of those 3 in brackets, just saying.

J.Kelly, he's played 3-4 less games than Shuey.

Agree though, as my post a few pages ago - Shuey right on the fringe and the unluckiest midfielder not to be included in my team.
He has been better than Josh Kelly. Easily.

Is Whitfield no chance to make the team now? I would’ve had him as the best wing/hf before his injuries. Only played 9 games with injuries restricting his gametime in 2 of them. So every game from here on out gets him to essentially 14 full games and 16 in total. Doubt that’d be enough regardless of how well he finishes the season.

Not sure what the least amount of games is for an AA. Selwood had 18 with two injury affected games in 2017. Ablett only played 15 in 2014 but that was probably the best individual season I’ve seen up to his shoulder injury.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ahead of J.kelly and Fyfe, Neale a possibility as well. As will be reflected in the coaches votes leaderboard on Monday.

Is Whitfield no chance to make the team now? I would’ve had him as the best wing/hf before his injuries. Only played 9 games with injuries restricting his gametime in 2 of them. So every game from here on out gets him to essentially 14 full games and 16 in total. Doubt that’d be enough regardless of how well he finishes the season.

Not sure what the least amount of games is for an AA. Selwood had 18 with two injury affected games in 2017. Ablett only played 15 in 2014 but that was probably the best individual season I’ve seen up to his shoulder injury.
Should have won the Brownlow in 2014.

Feels like Sicily last year. Would of been 1st picked but didnt clock up enough games.

Will need to break bank from here I think. Absolute gun even if he doesn’t.

North fans are always saying Tarrant should be there but what happened today? Only saw bits and pieces but looks like he got taken to the cleaners by Josh Bruce right?
All except one were kicked before Tarrant was moved onto him, and the one Bruce did jag was a Joe the Goose into an open goal. Tarrant beat him once he went to him, and he was probably the best player in the game before that. You should probably watch the games Tarrant plays before you try and make a snide remark about his spot in the team

Remove this Banner Ad

2019 ALL AUSTRALIAN TEAM

Remove this Banner Ad

Back