2019 ALL AUSTRALIAN TEAM

Remove this Banner Ad

I think Michael Hurley is a chance for that centre half back spot. Having an underrated year.

IN: Hurley, C.Cameron
OUT: Betts, J.McGovern

Kind of laughable when you compare Hurley and McGovern.

No idea why McGovern's season is being underrated. Just as good as ever.

Is this the same Josh Kelly that leads the league in score involvements, from the midfield?
Yep. And also has the worst kick rating for any midfielder in the comp.

He is damaging both ways, for his team and against his team.

Shuey is massively underrated, a Collingwood supporter of all people should realise this.

Probably a bit of bias on my part but Dayne Zorko should be in more peoples conversations regarding All Australian. Arguably the best two way midfielder right now, he's the best tackler/pressure player in the comp this year and also 10 clear when it comes to inside 50's. Really under the radar year and a really underrated captain too.

Probably a bit of bias on my part but Dayne Zorko should be in more peoples conversations regarding All Australian. Arguably the best two way midfielder right now, he's the best tackler/pressure player in the comp this year and also 10 clear when it comes to inside 50's. Really under the radar year and a really underrated captain too.
He, Yeo and Shuey. Though Yeo has dropped off a little because he cops a hard tag every weak.

For me, in terms of damaging kicks, who also maintain great contested output and defensive pressure, I'd rate Zorko as better than Shuey on scoreboard impact and Shuey better on the contested end. Zorko is the best kick into the forwardline in the comp, Shuey would be close behind.

Both weirdly underrated.

Kind of laughable when you compare Hurley and McGovern.

No idea why McGovern's season is being underrated. Just as good as ever.
Yeah, I don’t understand why Hurley’s name is getting mentioned. Hooker has been better for starters...

Yep. And also has the worst kick rating for any midfielder in the comp.

He is damaging both ways, for his team and against his team.

Shuey is massively underrated, a Collingwood supporter of all people should realise this.

What is this "kick rating" you speak of, and where can one refer to this measurement?

I think Shuey is rated appropriately, too. In the conversation with a group of others for a mid spot in the AA side.

Because standing next to a man all game and stopping him kicking a goal isn’t enough now days. Team defences mean matchups are often interchangeable.

Absolutely, but in the case of Tarrant he almost always goes to the most dangerous forward and very rarely has more than 1-2 goals kicked on him, which in turn allows team mates more freedom to peel off knowing they have that sort of cover. Our entire back line is built around him and his ability to shut down the opposition's most dangerous forward.

He's still top 20 for intercepts and 1%ers so it's not like he is lacking in these areas - in fact he actually has more intercepts than Andrews if we're going to use this as a defining stat. He also gets it 16 times a game and is probably the most penetrating field kick in our side (apart from Polec), with significantly more metres gained than Andrews and Blicavs.

Not saying he's better than those two but this idea that he's not on their level is just untrue.

I like to name a team with:
7 defenders
3 small/medium forwards
4 rucks and tall forwards (either 2 and 2 or 3 and 1) - I went with de Goey because not full forwards stand out really
8 midfielders.

B: Stewart Andrews Sheppard
HB: Hurn (c) McGovern Rampe
C: T. Kelly Cunnington Duncan/Henderson
HF: Walters Hawkins Danger
F: C. Cameron de Goey Ablett

R: Grundy Cripps Neale
INT: Williams Fyfe Bont/Boak Gawn

Guys who could be out: Sheppard, McGovern, Duncan/Henderson, Ablett, de Goey, Williams.

Guys who could be in: Cameron, Shuey, Blicavs, Ryan, Coniglio, Zorko, B. Crouch, Pendlebury, Parker, Macrae, Lloyd, probably others

Last edited:
7 defenders
3 small/medium forwards
4 rucks and tall forwards (either 2 and 2 or 3 and 1) - I went with de Goey because not full forwards stand out really
8 midfielders.

Guys who could be out: Sheppard, McGovern, Duncan/Henderson, Ablett, de Goey, Williams.

Guys who could be in: Cameron, Shuey, Blicavs, Ryan, Coniglio, Zorko, B. Crouch, Pendlebury, Parker, probably others
Um, Jeremy Cameron?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would be content with nothing more than Shannon Hurn retaining his spot and rightfully being named captain this year.

If they do another ‘Lifetime Achievement Award’ I’ll spewwwww.

I'd rather take premiership captain than All Australian captain Shannon Hurn tbh.

McGovern is making a run for it, Shuey too but competition for midfield spots is fierce. Bench spot at best. We love Shep but I don't think he has the media build up behind him to justify a spot.

I honestly think if Gaff gets in it would be purely based on numbers and people not watching Eagles games that closely.

Who of those 2 KPD's has had
More contested marks?
More tackles?
More spoils?
Less goals kicked against them?
Andrews averages more contested marks per game, less clangers, nearly double the spoils.

It's difficult to judge goals kicked against because forward lines change throughout the game. Both find themselves on different opponents at stages of games.

The fact he's spoiling the ball more and marking the ball in contested situations more times per game, suggests that he's conceded less goals to his direct opponents.

I'd rather take premiership captain than All Australian captain Shannon Hurn tbh.

Not sure whether is because i am paying attention - but there has been considerable media and in-game commentary about this - there's a definite groundswell to make it happen.

It's got to the point where it seems a foregone conclusion which is pretty rare for the AA captain.

7 defenders
3 small/medium forwards
8 midfielders.

Guys who could be in: Cameron, Shuey, Blicavs, Ryan, Coniglio, Zorko, B. Crouch, Pendlebury, Parker, Macrae, Lloyd, probably others

What's the justification for the lack of J Cameron? I'm starting to feel similar, even if he is leading the Coleman.

What's the justification for the lack of J Cameron? I'm starting to feel similar, even if he is leading the Coleman.

He's the first on the next in list.

It might be the fact that I traded him to my supercoach team mid-year. Every time I've watched him since bringing him in, he's been shit.

Using selective stats to paint a picture. How original
I didn't use any stats.
Seems a reasonable approach though to settle an argument, rather than the lazy "LOL!"
Andrews and Tarrant are both guns, but 99% of footy fans and experts would pick Andrews first in a team. He is simply better.
Better based on what? How do you measure "better"?

Remove this Banner Ad

2019 ALL AUSTRALIAN TEAM

Remove this Banner Ad

Back