2019 Australia vs Sri Lanka - 2nd T20I @ Gabba

Remove this Banner Ad

Bomberboyokay

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
From the beautiful city of Brisbane. Australia lead the 3-match series 1-0.

An upbeat Sri Lanka went to Australia threatening to continue their outstanding Pakistan form, but like a skyrocket that veers off and flies through the neighbour's open window, they only managed to wreak the most alarming - though spectacular - type of damage. It is difficult to imagine how the Adelaide match could have gone any worse. Kasun Rajitha's record 0 for 75 made headlines, but the spinners also went at more than 10 an over, and Lasith Malinga went wicketless. On the batting front, no one made 20. Sri Lanka have had some limp limited-overs performances in the past two years, but this was among the very worst.

Australia don't exactly have the record of an ace T20 side, having won only two of their seven most-recent series, but may have reason to consider themselves one of the best outfits in the world, with the return of David Warner and Steve Smith. Plenty is known about the explosive top three - Aaron Finch and Glenn Maxwell rounding it out - but there is a cohesive attack there too. On Sunday, Mitchell Starc and Pat Cummins essentially ended what slim chances Sri Lanka had of chasing down a gargantuan target, by blasting out the top three inside four overs. Sri Lanka could then barely get the Australian spinners off the square, and surrendered a clump of wickets to the wristspinner Adam Zampa, as they often do.

One year out from the T20 World Cup at home, Australia seem like they have the building blocks of a strong team at their disposal. When they arrived in Australia, Sri Lanka thought they had building blocks too. They have the galling challenge of winning in Brisbane if they are to avoid not only a series loss, but also talk of the Pakistan series having been a false dawn.

[...]

Mitchell Starc will miss the second T20 to attend his high-jump champion brother's wedding. Billy Stanlake will likely play in his stead.

Australia (possible): 1 David Warne, 2 Aaron Finch (capt.), 3 Glenn Maxwell, 4 Steve Smith, 5 Ashton Turner, 6 Alex Carey (wk), 7 Ashton Agar, 8 Pat Cummins, 9 Kane Richardson, 10 Adam Zampa, 11 Billy Stanlake

Sri Lanka will likely leave Rajitha out and get Isuru Udana into the XI. They may also consider dropping the out-of-form Kusal Perera for Niroshan Dickwella.

Sri Lanka (possible): 1 Danushka Gunathilaka, 2 Kusal Mendis, 3 Bhanuka Rajapaksa, 4 Oshada Fernando, 5 Niroshan Dickwella (wk), 6 Dasun Shanaka, 7 Wanindu Hasaranga, 8 Isuru Udana, 9 Lakshan Sandakan, 10 Lasith Malinga (capt.), 11 Nuwan Pradeep

7:10pm AEDT on Fox Cricket.

Last edited:

Can’t be much interest in this one, first ball is half an hour away and there haven’t been any posts for hours

Can’t be much interest in this one, first ball is half an hour away and there haven’t been any posts for hours
Genuinely forgot it was on until something popped up on Facebook about it

Which by the looks of it is the same in Brisbane. Absolutely noone there

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

Have Cricket Australia promoted this series in the slightest? I haven't seen any advertising for it. I only remembered this game was on myself when I went to check the Shield fixtures

Looks a typical GABBA crowd

I only remembered its on as Fox Cricket app sends out alerts after toss

Have Cricket Australia promoted this series in the slightest? I haven't seen any advertising for it. I only remembered this game was on myself when I went to check the Shield fixtures
I know they're pushing out ads for the Canberra game on Tuesday on local TV

But outside of that it's pretty much up to Cricket ACT to push it.

Nor have I. I have seen zlicho advertising for the T20s

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There'll be plenty of people there when the Heat play later this year. Who wouldn't prefer to watch Josh Lalor bowl at Caleb Jewell than international cricket?

The only real interest in this series will come from Melbourne’s Sri Lankan community, who will use Friday’s game as an excuse to party at the cricket. They are great fun.

Does channel 7 only have Test Cricket?

I mean I'll watch Fox Cricket anyway but I'm curious as to how much they are broadcasting?

Same as last season sans the WT20 WC being on 9

Remove this Banner Ad

2019 Australia vs Sri Lanka - 2nd T20I @ Gabba

Remove this Banner Ad

Back