Collingwood
I suspect we will get a tough draw.

2 games v Melbourne
WC in Perth
Lions in Brisbane
Richmond twice
Essendon twice

What do you guys think?
I guess there’s no easy games except Carlton and GC and Saints.

Collingwood and Melbourne push for Round 1 Friday night clash next year
JAY CLARK, Herald Sun
September 20, 2018 8:33pm
Subscriber only

COLLINGWOOD and Melbourne want to play each other in a Round 1 Friday night blockbuster next season.

The Magpies and Demons already meet on one of the biggest days of the AFL calendar — the Queen’s Birthday — but are keen to lock in a second marquee match.

The clubs will formally request the clash be played on at the MCG on the Friday night in the opening round, which would be expected to draw a 90,000 strong crowd.

WHITE LINE FEVER: WHY NANK ROAMED PAST BT

DAVID KING: HOW BUCKS CAN TAKE JACK’S SPARROWS

MASON COX: I’M HAPPY BEING IGNORANT ABOUT FOOTY

While the same request was rejected last year, the clubs’ surge up the ladder this season will bolster their cases for the fixture.

Collingwood and Melbourne were given four Friday night games this year, but will merit more marquee timeslots and prime time matches next season.

Their strong squads would also appeal to broadcasters in the Friday night slot after an early-season ratings slump this year.

The troubled 2018 fixture was roundly criticised for gifting cellar dweller Carlton four Friday night games and one Thursday night.

8e6e5b964f270a52ab149a919b6bd23c

Collingwood’s Scott Pendlebury in action against Melbourne on Queen’s Birthday. Picture: Getty Images

There is expected to be more Thursday night games next season after seven matches, and one final, were scheduled this year.

Collingwood and Melbourne both finished in the top six this year, meaning there is a greater chance they will face each other twice during the 2019 season.

Teams that finish in the top six play a minimum of two games and a maximum of three against fellow top-six sides.

Melbourne receives the gate takings for the Queen’s Birthday game which has helped raise vital funds for Neale Daniher’s Freeze MND research campaign.

But the receipts from a second game would go to the Magpies.

The AFL is committed to opening the season with the traditional Richmond-Carlton clash at the MCG, which attracted more than 90,000 spectators this year on Thursday, March 21.

An opening round Friday night game for Collingwood could also help limit the prospect of a shortened break when the Magpies take on Essendon in the traditional Anzac Day blockbuster at the MCG on Thursday, April 25, in Round 6.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/...r/news-story/d12840d8921c92336ee87d5601bea45c

AFL plans to schedule more Thursday night matches in 2019 fixture
Jon Ralph, Herald Sun
36 minutes ago
Subscriber only

AFL clubs including Richmond and North Melbourne are prepared to play off five-day breaks to allow the league to schedule as many as 12 Thursday night games next season.

The AFL looks set to ramp up its Thursday night coverage next year but would need the player union to alter the collective bargaining agreement to allow it.

North Melbourne chief executive Carl Dilena and Brisbane chief executive Greg Swann backed the proposal as long as both competing teams were coming off the same five-day break.

LIST ANALYSIS: ST KILDA AT THE CROSSROADS

BIG CHANGE: AFL CONFIRMS MID-SEASON DRAFT

PODCAST: FOOTY STAR REVEALS DRUG HELL

In this year’s fixture the league scheduled five Thursday games around the mid-season byes, two in the first two rounds and a Thursday final for a total of eight.

Clubs would only be handed one five-day break, which would test the recuperative powers of their players on a quick turnaround.

The Herald Sun revealed in August the AFLPA was being consulted by the league on five-day breaks but initially wanted a second bye in the calendar — which has not been put into next year’s draw.

Richmond chief executive Brendon Gale said clubs needed as much rest as possible between games but said the proposal would introduce more flexibility to schedule blockbuster games.

“We acknowledge it could give the AFL more flexibility to schedule big games and they have their hands tied right now because of some limitations,” he said.

“As a general rule we are comfortable with it providing teams are on an equal footing with the days break and there are not too many of them.

“From a physical point of view our recovery is tracked to a high degree of sophistication and we are comfortable our club could handle it.”

North Melbourne coach Brad Scott believes clubs would absorb a single five-day break if it was fair and put the club into a prime time clash then was followed by an eight or nine-day break.

e6aa8c11940b5cda981e36cf8abc2198

Richmond and Carlton opened the season on a Thursday night.

Roos chief executive Carl Dilena said the Kangaroos, pioneers of Friday night football, were supportive of the concept.

“Fundamentally we don’t have an issue with it provided both clubs are coming off the same amount of days break leading into a game,” he said.

Lions CEO Swann said Brisbane was desperate to keep growing its brand with free to air contests and games in marquee slots.

“Our view is given we were only on free to air once this year we are more than happy to do it to get more exposure for the club,” he said.

“The CBA says you can’t have five-day breaks so they will have to review that, but we more than happy for it to happen.”

A decision is imminent from the player union, which has consulted with its own player delegates and canvassed senior players.

The league’s fixture customarily comes out in the last week of October, so the players tick off five-day breaks quickly so the league can plan for it in its official draw.

A dozen Thursday night games would be ideal for the league’s broadcasters Seven and Fox Footy after low-scoring football and poor scheduling saw flat early ratings in 2018 before a late-season surge.

The Lions have already asked the league for an Easter Monday clash against Collingwood and are cautiously optimistic they will be granted that request.

North Melbourne believes they will host Good Friday football for the third year in a row, with Essendon and Carlton two teams being considered as potential rivals.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/...e/news-story/0d6157e1e1ed8c61572104bd2fedea5f

Let us play Brisbane at the MCG on the Thursday night before ANZAC day, thanks.

Also, one day I want to watch us play GCS at Metricon. Given my wife is a teacher I'd appreciate it to be in the school holidays as it so often is.

I reckon our 5 (?) double ups will be WCE (one home, one away), Richmond, Melbourne, Brisbane & Hawthorn.

I think there will be more Thursday night game next season, and I’m gonna take a wild stab and say we will cop a few of em.

But I also think we will get more Friday nights.

As long as we get less Sunday twilight games, I felt like every second game I was getting home at 730 on a Sunday night starving.

Not really sure how Brisbane can be cautiously optimistic of an Easter Monday clash against us given the Hawks and Cats have had that slot locked up.

And I just realised Easter Monday is only three days before Anzac Day next year.

My wish....
In the first 17 rounds, all teams play each other ONCE.
Then top 6 play each other to determine top 6.
The middle six play each other to determine 7th and 8th.
The bottom 6 play each other. The team that finishes 13th gets 1st pick of the National Draft, 18th gets 6th pick etc... no priority picks, any more.
Why? I’m sick of the usual comments from cretans...”Collingwood has an easy draw”.... “Collingwood never travels”... etc.
Time for a really fair and interesting draw which has 9 games being played at round 21,22,23 which ACTUALLY mean something!

Remember that our double ups have to consist of:

2 or 3 from:
WC, Richmond, Melbourne, Hawthorn, GWS

1 or 2 from:
Sydney, Geelong, North, Port, Essendon, Adelaide

0 or 1 from:
WB, Freo, Brisbane, StK, GC, Carlton

Nailed on certainties to play Richmond twice, plus probably Melbourne and at least one of Carlton/Essendon. We usually have one interstate team twice as well. Could easily be WC as we are due to play them in Perth but the AFL may want a GF replay in Melbourne as well.

I can but dream that we might actually get to play the Swans at the MCG for once.

Not really sure how Brisbane can be cautiously optimistic of an Easter Monday clash against us given the Hawks and Cats have had that slot locked up.

And I just realised Easter Monday is only three days before Anzac Day next year.

I reckon that’s a typo by Ralph and it should be Easter Thursday.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remember that our double ups have to consist of:

2 or 3 from:
WC, Richmond, Melbourne, Hawthorn, GWS

1 or 2 from:
Sydney, Geelong, North, Port, Essendon, Adelaide

0 or 1 from:
WB, Freo, Brisbane, StK, GC, Carlton

Nailed on certainties to play Richmond twice, plus probably Melbourne and at least one of Carlton/Essendon. We usually have one interstate team twice as well. Could easily be WC as we are due to play them in Perth but the AFL may want a GF replay in Melbourne as well.

I can but dream that we might actually get to play the Swans at the MCG for once.
Yeah I can see us definitely getting two games against WC and richmond.

High probability of two against Melbourne also.

My bet

Top 6 - 3 games WC, Rich and Melb
Mid 6 - 1 game Sydney
Bot 6 - 1 game Carl

The fixture is irrelevant if we’re good enough.

Apparently we had the toughest draw in 2010.

Anzac Day is Thursday.
Works fine in my view this coming year.

Friday before Anzac Day

Anzac Day Thursday

Next round Saturday or so.

No issues.

The fixture is irrelevant if we’re good enough.

Apparently we had the toughest draw in 2010.
I have NEVER understood the draw issues*.

It's only FIVE double up games, meh.
You play who you play.
No guarantee how any of the five are going anyway.

We're good enough, we can play anyone without fear.

Someone says twice Melbourne? I say bring it on. Soft underbelly snow plough demons.

* only caveat is when they do rotten tricks like a 4 or 5 day break with travel and the opposition has more time. A very tight week and healthy sleep recover is compromised. Sleep is natures great gift.
Other than that, meh.
We turn up and play well, non issue.

Last edited:
IMO, who we play twice is totally irrelevant we just need to win the 10-14 matches we play against opponents that end up missing the 8.

What matters to me is that our 2 “home” Etihad matches are against interstate teams. There’s nothing more frustrating than playing the likes of the Dogs, St Kilda or North on their home deck. I imagine it’s the same in reverse for them!

It’d be great to start the season with 2-3 matches against lower ranked teams leading up to ANZAC day, but like our double up draw it’s largely irrelevant if we’re quality in 2019.

Leading story in the Mercury (Hobart newspaper) today is that Eddie and Premier Will Hodgman have had a brief discussion about bringing the Pies to Tassie for Premiership points.

No details on whether that would be a standalone fixture or playing against Hawthorn or North.

Don't care who we play or where other than minimal games at Docklands and any of our home games there be against non-tenant clubs.

Bit over the "Pies don't travel" crap so lets play our away games against:
North @ Hobart,
Hawks @ Launy,
Dees in the Alice (would make QB our home game),
Doggies @ Ballarat/Cairns
Port,
WCE,
Freo,
GWS,
Bears,
Crows and
GCS.

Couple of seasons of that should start to hit the bottom lines at a few clubs.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

2019 fixture (news, requests and leaks)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back