2019 fixture (news, requests and leaks)

Remove this Banner Ad

Leading story in the Mercury (Hobart newspaper) today is that Eddie and Premier Will Hodgman have had a brief discussion about bringing the Pies to Tassie for Premiership points.

No details on whether that would be a standalone fixture or playing against Hawthorn or North.
Geez, 50000 extra collingwood supporters would increase the population by 10% for the day.

Leading story in the Mercury (Hobart newspaper) today is that Eddie and Premier Will Hodgman have had a brief discussion about bringing the Pies to Tassie for Premiership points.

No details on whether that would be a standalone fixture or playing against Hawthorn or North.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/n...e/news-story/1d9e0069c2674b3c44fd7e78afc331ea

Eddie McGuire keen for Collingwood to play in Tassie
BRETT STUBBS, Sports Editor, Mercury
October 5, 2018 12:00am
Subscriber only

COLLINGWOOD president Eddie McGuire wants to bring the Pies to Tasmania for premiership points.

McGuire has raised the concept personally with Tasmanian Premier Will Hodgman and the two have agreed to discuss it in the future.

Mr Hodgman said McGuire brought up the notion in a meeting after the Tasmanian Magpies premiership success in the Australian Netball League.

“Eddie certainly expressed an interest that the Magpies might play here at some stage for premiership points,” Mr Hodgman said.

“There was no request for funding or support and I made no offer.

“But I would love to talk to him, Collingwood, the AFL, North Melbourne and Hawthorn about getting the Pies down here, because it would be a super fixture.

“In the context of Tassie footy, and Eddie expressed his disappointment about Tassie footy and that it needs support, and also our fixturing.

0e6408d7d478669cda19d6593af09307

Collingwood president Eddie McGuire. Picture: Michael Klein
“In my view, it has been an issue for us. To get a team with the pulling power and passion behind them that Collingwood has would be superb.”

Whether this was as an opponent for the state’s existing co-tenants, the Hawks and the Roos, or a stand-alone fixture or post the current Hawthorn and North Melbourne contacts (end of 2021) was not discussed.

It would be Collingwood’s first game for premiership points in the state, with a 2015 pre-season game against Hawthorn in Launceston attracting 15,422 fans.

That attendance would have been the second-highest attendance for a roster game this season from Tasmania’s seven Hawks and Roos matches.

The Pies, this year’s grand finalist, also has a membership base of 75,507 fans, and many more supporters locally and around the country.

The AFL’s fixturing of matches in Hobart and Launceston has been a bugbear for Tasmanian footy fans with many lowly supported non-Victorian clubs regularly scheduled to play in the state despite taxpayers paying $7 million annually to host games.

It is an issue Mr Hodgman has raised with the AFL with the schedule to be released this month.

“I am hoping to meet with the AFL soon, and I spoke to Gillon McLachlan about this on the weekend,” he said.

“I want to start planning the next steps forward for Tassie footy more generally so it includes local and grassroots footy, a team-of-our-own project and fixturing is an ongoing subject that is important for the existing arrangements with Hawthorn and North Melbourne because that is a clear factor in those deals being as successful as we would like.”

McGuire was unavailable for comment yesterday.

Sell the rights to Docklands home games to the boutique interstate venues like Bellerive or York Park or Manuka up in Canberra, or somewhere else entirely that hasn't been thought of yet.

It's how the Dees get out of playing home games at Docklands...

Remember that our double ups have to consist of:

2 or 3 from:
WC, Richmond, Melbourne, Hawthorn, GWS

1 or 2 from:
Sydney, Geelong, North, Port, Essendon, Adelaide

0 or 1 from:
WB, Freo, Brisbane, StK, GC, Carlton

Nailed on certainties to play Richmond twice, plus probably Melbourne and at least one of Carlton/Essendon. We usually have one interstate team twice as well. Could easily be WC as we are due to play them in Perth but the AFL may want a GF replay in Melbourne as well.

I can but dream that we might actually get to play the Swans at the MCG for once.
Taking a stab here but I reckon we will double up Carlton, Essendon, Sydney, WC, Melbourne.

Remember that our double ups have to consist of:

2 or 3 from:
WC, Richmond, Melbourne, Hawthorn, GWS

1 or 2 from:
Sydney, Geelong, North, Port, Essendon, Adelaide

0 or 1 from:
WB, Freo, Brisbane, StK, GC, Carlton

Nailed on certainties to play Richmond twice, plus probably Melbourne and at least one of Carlton/Essendon. We usually have one interstate team twice as well. Could easily be WC as we are due to play them in Perth but the AFL may want a GF replay in Melbourne as well.

I can but dream that we might actually get to play the Swans at the MCG for once.
I think we’ll get Melbourne, West Coast, Richmond twice. Our final two double ups will either be Essendon and Brisbane or Sydney and Carlton I feel.

Dylan Shiel to face GWS in mouth-watering Round 1 match-up
SAM EDMUND, Herald Sun
an hour ago
Subscriber only

DYLAN Shiel will come face-to-face with his old GWS teammates in the opening round of the 2019 season after Essendon was drawn to face the Giants at Spotless Stadium.

Shiel found himself at the centre of tense negotiations between the Bombers and Giants on trade deadline day before his wish to join the Dons was granted in the final moments of the exchange period.

STUDY TOUR: BOLTON ENROLS AT HARVARD?

JACOBS: CAMP CONTRIBUTED TO CROWS’ SEASON FAIL

The midfielder will make his red and black debut against a very different GWS side on Sunday, March 24, with Tom Scully, Rory Lobb and Will Setterfield all poised to play for new clubs on opening weekend.

The Herald Sun has obtained the 2019 Round 1 fixture ahead of Wednesday’s full release.

Carlton has retained a foothold in the season-opener and will again face rival Richmond, on Thursday night, March 21.

The MCG showdown will showcase star forward Tom Lynch’s first game for the Tigers, while former Crow Mitch McGovern will line up at the other end in his first game for the Blues.

The blockbuster theme continues the next night when Collingwood confronts Geelong at the same venue.

In what could be one of the most decorated midfield battles of all-time, Dayne Beams will join Scott Pendlebury, Adam Treloar, Steele Sidebottom and Taylor Adams in an engine room tug of war against Patrick Dangerfield, Gary Ablett, Joel Selwood, Mitch Duncan and the retained Tim Kelly.

It’s a match-up set to boast a combined three Brownlows, 21 best-and-fairests and 27 All-Australian gongs.

5c11c605eab051144b0d4b29b97d826c

Steele Sidebottom and Gary Ablett will headline a clash of the superstar midfields in Round 1. Picture: Michael Klein

The Carlton-Richmond and Collingwood-Geelong matches will draw more than 160,000 fans to the MCG in the first two nights of the season.

Steven May’s first game for Melbourne comes against Port Adelaide at the MCG on a Saturday afternoon that will also see Max Gawn go head-to-head with former Eagle and Power debutant Scott Lycett.

Chad Wingard will be going back to Adelaide straight away with Hawthorn later the same day, but the bad blood that marred his exit from Port Adelaide won’t be revisited, with the Hawks playing the Crows.

The Western Bulldogs host Sydney at Marvel Stadium on Saturday night, while Lachie Neale’s Brisbane debut is a tough one — premier West Coast at the Gabba.

On the Sunday, St Kilda fans will get their first look at Dan Hannebery in a home-and-away match when the Saints play Gold Coast at Marvel Stadium.

The opening round will be closed by a swag of players in new colours. Jesse Hogan and Rory Lobb will look to kick Fremantle a winning score at Optus Stadium against a North Melbourne side boasting new quartet Jared Polec, Aaron Hall, Dom Tyson and Jasper Pittard.

ROUND 1, 2019
Thursday, March 21

Carlton v Richmond, MCG 7.20pm

Friday, March 22

Collingwood v Geelong, MCG 7.50pm

Saturday, March 23

Melbourne v Port Adelaide, MCG 1.45pm

Adelaide v Hawthorn, Adelaide Oval 4.35pm

Western Bulldogs v Sydney, Marvel Stadium 7.25pm

Brisbane Lions v West Coast, Gabba 8.20pm

Sunday, March 24

St Kilda v Gold Coast, Marvel Stadium 1.10pm

GWS Giants v Essendon, Spotless Stadium 3.20pm

Fremantle v North Melbourne, Perth Stadium 6.20pm

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/...p/news-story/7f31b2a9d556c3f5769d57e32b87282e

Shiel's switch from GWS to Essendon seems like one of the more uneventful (i.e. boring) trade transactions of recent times, so the idea that a Shiel/Bomber v GWS opening round clash would have any added spice seems rather fanciful.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Shiel's switch from GWS to Essendon seems like one of the more uneventful (i.e. boring) trade transactions of recent times, so the idea that a Shiel/Bomber v GWS opening round clash would have any added spice seems rather fanciful.
Media junk

Collingwood vs Geelong Rd 1 on the Friday night.

Confirmed by the Herald Sun

Can't wait

Will be a fair old midfield battle in that one. Pendles/Beams/Treloar/Adams/Sidebottom v Gaz/Danger/Selwood/Duncan/Kelly. Wowser!

Bring it on.

Also talk we will cop West Coast in Rnd 2 over there as they unfurl the flag against us in their first home game of 2019.

A couple of early (tough) blockbusters there.

So here's the apparent leaked round 2 fixture. Can only find on one Twitter account that has like four tweets, so not sure of the legitimacy.

If true, it's a bit irritating to me that we start the year off with two teams who played finals yet the actual reigning premiers start off with the Lions and the Saints (granted, the Lions are expected to be better next year).

It also seems that the AFL hasn't actually solved the issue of Carlton. So many people complained, rightfully, that Carlton was on too many Friday nights in 2018. But next year, if this fixture is to be believed, Carlton start the year off with two games in a row on FTA TV. That doesn't really solve the issue of over-exposure of a poor side.

Surely the reigning premiers should have the privilege of being granted more FTA spots? It happened with the Dogs in 2017 but last year Richmond was almost non-existent on FTA, particularly Friday nights.

IMG_20181029_133310.jpg

So here's the apparent leaked round 2 fixture. Can only find on one Twitter account that has like four tweets, so not sure of the legitimacy.

If true, it's a bit irritating to me that we start the year off with two teams who played finals yet the actual reigning premiers start off with the Lions and the Saints (granted, the Lions are expected to be better next year).

It also seems that the AFL hasn't actually solved the issue of Carlton. So many people complained, rightfully, that Carlton was on too many Friday nights in 2018. But next year, if this fixture is to be believed, Carlton start the year off with two games in a row on FTA TV. That doesn't really solve the issue of over-exposure of a poor side.

Surely the reigning premiers should have the privilege of being granted more FTA spots? It happened with the Dogs in 2017 but last year Richmond was almost non-existent on FTA, particularly Friday nights.

View attachment 579620

Carlton are playing Rd 2 on a Sunday according to the photo?

Secondly, as for the Eagles...........WA audiences dont have the same television programming as Vic audiences. Theres no need to radically increase Eagles FTA exposure in Melbourne as people like to watch their own teams play. They might get a few extra FTA games beamed into Victoria.

Remove this Banner Ad

2019 fixture (news, requests and leaks)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back