2019 Fixture released

Remove this Banner Ad

Double up against Richmond, Melbourne, Collingwood (3 x 1-6), Bombers (7-12) and Fremantle (13-18).

4 Games at the MCG: Richmond, Melbourne, Collingwood and Hawthorn.

Sick of playing minnows at their shitty stadiums in the middle of nowhere.
If one big interstate side gets 4 at the g, they all do. Which is exactly why it won't happen. Expect the 2, max 3 like every year.

Unfortunately not until at least some clubs stop playing interstate, and we have a bigger stadium
That last part is the kicker. Whilstever Kardinia is limited to what, 32/33k, it won't host bigger clubs like the Pies or Hawthorn.
I know, but it's unfair and it is our home ground. Every single club plays there home games at there choice.
Que?

Collingwood doesn't want to be playing matches at Etihad, yet is forced to every season.

Saints to play Freo, port Adelaide, west coast, Brisbane and suns at Etihad. Also play suns, Carlton and freo twice. We had one of the worst draw in the league this year imo, which gave us Little confidence to move forward and improve

That last part is the kicker. Whilstever Kardinia is limited to what, 32/33k, it won't host bigger clubs like the Pies or Hawthorn.

Que?

Collingwood doesn't want to be playing matches at Etihad, yet is forced to every season.
Agree with the first part. Needs to be 40k plus before hawks come down.

The major mcg tennants play more than 11 games at the mcg per year. Generally 9 at home and up to 5 away. Cats only play 9 at home and 0 away at kp. Thats the difference.

Mind you, i dont agree with hawthorn being able to play Melbourne games at the G and have launceston, whilst pies and dees have to make up the numbers at marvel stadium because the roos have gone to hobart. Those should be hawthorn games

West Coast typically suck a bit around June, so don't schedule our Friday night games then.

We are overdue for Manuka, would be up for that. Premiers in Canberra might be the time.

Part of me also wants to punish the Eagles for their Bellerive performance and send them down there again to make amends. I'd like windy, sub-10 degrees to be fixtured, with a hailstorm at half-time.

No Carlton-St Kilda type friday nights. Even if they were to leap up the ladder, both sides have been out of finals action for too long for that to be a responsible, tolerable fixture choice.

I feel like Brisbane and Sydney are on the brink of being as evenly matched as they have been in a long time, would be nice to reignite that rivalry with a Friday night thriller. That would be my gamble pick.

Last edited:
Agree with the first part. Needs to be 40k plus before hawks come down.

The major mcg tennants play more than 11 games at the mcg per year. Generally 9 at home and up to 5 away. Cats only play 9 at home and 0 away at kp. Thats the difference.

Mind you, i dont agree with hawthorn being able to play Melbourne games at the G and have launceston, whilst pies and dees have to make up the numbers at marvel stadium because the roos have gone to hobart. Those should be hawthorn games
For what it's worth I hate MCG away games. Venue feels different when Pies aren't the home team to me

Que?

If this is about the lack of seats for visiting members, then Hawthorn aren't in a position to complain as playing in Tassie already means their Melbourne-based supporters miss out on 3-4 games a year.

In any case why should the GFC care if Collingwood or Richmond members can't buy a ticket? It's no issue for Adelaide or WC home games but people always kick up a stink when we're involved.

If this is about the lack of seats for visiting members, then Hawthorn aren't in a position to complain as playing in Tassie already means their Melbourne-based supporters miss out on 3-4 games a year.

In any case why should the GFC care if Collingwood or Richmond members can't buy a ticket? It's no issue for Adelaide or WC home games but people always kick up a stink when we're involved.
Dont get this. York Park doesn't usually sell out and as I understand it Hawks members get replacement games, with access to "away" games in Melbourne. Presumably if they have 11 game access memberships?

Attending a Geelong game from Melbourne is a bit different to attending one in Adelaide, Launceston or Perth lol.

It's not about lack of seats for visiting members, it's about a lack of seats overall. The ground is simply not big enough for big blockbuster games.

Attending a Geelong game from Melbourne is a bit different to attending one in Adelaide, Launceston or Perth lol.

It's not about lack of seats for visiting members, it's about a lack of seats overall. The ground is simply not big enough for big blockbuster games.
Again though, it's a Geelong home game. It doesn't really matter how many opposition fans fit, as long as Geelong is happy with how many Geelong fans get a seat.

The MCG has skewed the balance towards having equal support because there are so many seats, but the old VFL suburban grounds weren't 50/50 split. And the Derby/Showdowns are either.

If Melbourne clubs want to play Geelong in Melbourne, they can either buy our home games ala Gold Coast, or they can host us.

Geelong doesn't even chose to move games to Melbourne. The AFL forces it upon us because Hawks, North, Dogs and Dees sell home games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

West Coast typically suck a bit around June, so don't schedule our Friday night games then.

We are overdue for Manuka, would be up for that. Premiers in Canberra might be the time.

Part of me also wants to punish the Eagles for their Bellerive performance and send them down there again to make amends. I'd like windy, sub-10 degrees to be fixtured, with a hailstorm at half-time.

No Carlton-St Kilda type friday nights. Even if they were to leap up the ladder, both sides have been out of finals action for too long for that to be a responsible, tolerable fixture choice.

I feel like Brisbane and Sydney are on the brink of being as evenly matched as they have been in a long time, would be nice to reignite that rivalry with a Friday night thriller. That would be my gamble pick.

Brisbane v Hawthorn.

Mainly because Hawthorn are the best side that Brisbane had good performances against. Would draw a decent crowd, would give the Lions a real shot, and to be honest more likely the AFL gives it a shot.

And I reckon with the byes around June the Eagles won't get much of a choice with primetime Thursday/Friday games, there will be 4 or so scheduled for WC through June ans July.

Brisbane v Hawthorn.

Mainly because Hawthorn are the best side that Brisbane had good performances against. Would draw a decent crowd, would give the Lions a real shot, and to be honest more likely the AFL gives it a shot.

And I reckon with the byes around June the Eagles won't get much of a choice with primetime Thursday/Friday games, there will be 4 or so scheduled for WC through June ans July.
I recognise this is how it will transpire, my points aren't terribly realistic, just ideal.

Que?

Still in Melbourne.... Geelong isn't in Melbourne , we are Geelong which last time I saw it's not in Melbourne.

it would be nice if we can play at the MCG, since apparently we play home games there in the final week of September

it would also be nice to see collingwood play outside a 10km radius from their facilities a few times

maybe we can also have some decent games on friday night? not that that was the cause for the drop in viewership, it was the congestion of course o_O

No Saturday night matches from Brisbane, GWS or Gold Coast please. Lack of crowd atmosphere kills it for TV.

No feature games for Carlton or St Kilda until they turn the corner.

No Saturday night matches from Brisbane, GWS or Gold Coast please. Lack of crowd atmosphere kills it for TV.

No feature games for Carlton or St Kilda until they turn the corner.
We had our best crowds on Saturday night in 2017, and the best atmosphere at Spotless. This year we had a few Saturday nights but poor form and bad luck with the weather hurt a bit. If I was the club I'd persist in requesting them, **** the TV audience.

Saints to play Freo, port Adelaide, west coast, Brisbane and suns at Etihad. Also play suns, Carlton and freo twice. We had one of the worst draw in the league this year imo, which gave us Little confidence to move forward and improve
Your port home game will be in China.

It's not about lack of seats for visiting members, it's about a lack of seats overall.

If not for visiting members, then for who? Cats fans aren't missing out as season seats already fill 3/4 of the stadium. If casual fans and opposition members miss out for the sake of fairness then so be it, being a Geelong home game our interests should come first.

A primetime game against Bombers, Pies or Hawthorn there would be a boon for TV ratings as well given their fans would mostly stay home instead of buying tickets.

Would prefer we play all 11 games there but can accept 2-3 at the MCG. What I can't accept is certain clubs going decades without playing there. Even just one game a year against a big club would give the AFL some credibility.

Last edited:
it would also be nice to see collingwood play outside a 10km radius from their facilities a few times
You mean to tell me a Melbourne-based club plays most games in Melbourne?

Fact is, of the 17 other teams, 9 (more than half) are in Melbourne. Which means all home games plus around half of our away games are in Melbourne. That leaves about 5 or 6 games each year interstate. In 2018, Collingwood played matches at Optus, SCG, Gabba, Adelaide and Metricon. Add a second Optus trip for Week 1 of the Finals.

St Kilda played 16/22 games in Victoria, including 6 of their last 7 at Etihad. Why don't they cop the same ridiculous crap?

If not for visiting members, then for who? Cats fans aren't missing out as season seats already fill 3/4 of the stadium. If casual fans and opposition members miss out for the sake of fairness then so be it, being a Geelong home game our interests should come first.

A primetime game against Bombers, Pies or Hawthorn there would be a boon for TV ratings as well given their fans would mostly stay home instead of buying tickets.

Would prefer we play all 11 games there but can accept 2-3 at the MCG. What I can't accept is certain clubs going decades without playing there. Even just one game a year against a big club would give the AFL some credibility.
Like say, Richmond last year?

Remove this Banner Ad

2019 Fixture released

Remove this Banner Ad

Back